1 2
Jeff
Jeff SuperDork
4/29/16 10:08 a.m.

Going to look at what is supposed to be a clean AZ Midget with a vintage race legal bar but missing an engine (the Spit deal fell apart at the last minute).

What's the easiest way to get 100 WHP? Does not necessarily have to be vintage legal at this time but preference would be given to that.

Thanks

Jeff
Jeff SuperDork
4/29/16 10:23 a.m.

And yes, I now realize I asked basically the same question 2 months ago. But now I'm only looking for 100 WHP

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
4/29/16 10:24 a.m.

1Liter bike engine.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 SuperDork
4/29/16 10:27 a.m.

Do you plan on driving on the street, or will this be a track toy?

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/29/16 10:35 a.m.

Datsun L20B or Nissan SR

A Mazda BP would be another alternative

All will require typical engine swap foibles so they will cheap up front, but more expensive downstream as you figure out how to get it all stuffed in the car and working.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/29/16 10:37 a.m.

Miata engine

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
4/29/16 10:46 a.m.

http://www.spridgetmania.com/part/1275HP_INLINE/1275-Cc-Engine-High-Performance--Sprite--Mg-Midget---Morris-Minor

You can get more powerful vintage race motors, but you'd have to pay more. Mini Mania also sells a couple of drop-in 1380s for more money, but they wouldn't be vintage legal.

NickD
NickD Dork
4/29/16 10:49 a.m.

Mazda B6ZE, the 1.6L out of the '90-'93 Miata. Slightly smaller than the BP and available for dirt cheap.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
4/29/16 10:51 a.m.
Grtechguy wrote: 1Liter bike engine.

+1

I have a bugeye, I have been thinking about getting another spridget to do this for awhile.

what do you want the car to do?

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/29/16 10:51 a.m.

I really like the bike engine idea, but I did just buy a B6ZE for my MGB.

I think a route that would probably be much more vintage legal is to get the stock motor and spin it to 10,000 RPM. Have no idea how to do that though, or the costs involved.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
4/29/16 11:21 a.m.

LS swap should triple that output goal easily...

Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones HalfDork
4/29/16 11:25 a.m.

I always thought the DOHC 1.3 Swift GT engine would be a perfect fit in a spridget.

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
4/29/16 11:30 a.m.

Really does depend on what you want to do with it. I'd go the 1275 route as it only deals directly with the engine. All other options include modification to other components.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
4/29/16 11:31 a.m.

Think vintage legal and 100hp is contradictory terms. Anything done to a Midget engine to reach 100hp throws it out of vintage and going with an engine swap to meet or exceed 100hp throws it out of vintage.

There was a company in England that modified BMW (I think) motorcycle DOHC heads for a 1275 Midget engine use but very costly. Could swap in another engine already 100hp for cheaper.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/29/16 11:31 a.m.

A little different....4AGE

Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones HalfDork
4/29/16 11:39 a.m.

And yes, 100 HP out of a 1275 is easy peasy. I was over that with a SCCA HP Limited Prep engine (required to use a minimally ported head).

As far as vintage legal, I'm sure they are getting waaay over 100HP with a 1275 - OS valves, huge over bore, side draft webber, etc

chaparral
chaparral HalfDork
4/29/16 11:52 a.m.

Audi 4.2 V8. 18" long, probably the most power that will fit in a Morris Minor.

griffin729
griffin729 HalfDork
4/29/16 11:57 a.m.
Kendall_Jones wrote: I always thought the DOHC 1.3 Swift GT engine would be a perfect fit in a spridget.

I was going to say this plus forced induction for even more fun and headaches.

Jeff
Jeff SuperDork
4/29/16 12:27 p.m.

Thanks for the responses. Just got back from looking at the car. Pretty decent shape, but it will need floors which I guess is standard for these even if they are sunbelt cars (it's been sitting in a shed in Ontario for a while not too). And the guy wants $950 CAD. That sounds high for the shape it's in as I can get a complete car with the floors done for about double that.

My kingdom for a 1500 pound car with at least 100 HP at the wheels for $10K CAD!

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
4/29/16 2:55 p.m.
wlkelley3 wrote: Think vintage legal and 100hp is contradictory terms. Anything done to a Midget engine to reach 100hp throws it out of vintage and going with an engine swap to meet or exceed 100hp throws it out of vintage.

Nope. There are plenty of vintage racers running more hp than that on 1275 motors. What's "legal" depends on the racing organization, but few, if any, restrict what you can do with the motor beyond displacement. Vintage racing ain't what it used to be. Engine swaps aren't allowed, of course, except many organizations allow 1275's in Bugeyes now, which wasn't the case a few years ago.

motomoron
motomoron SuperDork
4/29/16 3:00 p.m.

In my '62 Sprite Mk II I've got a mildly built 1275 w/ a Megadyne 266 cam, header and side draft Weber that's probably making about 100 and it's fun. It feels a bit faster than my NA Miata w/ an intake/header/exhaust.

I race a car powered by a stock gen II 1340 Hayabusa. It's completely nuts.

I'd offer that the fundamental vibe of the car is perfect w/ a good 1275 B-L "A" engine.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
4/29/16 3:02 p.m.
My kingdom for a 1500 pound car with at least 100 HP at the wheels for $10K CAD!

Sounds like you need a mildly race-prepped CRX.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
4/29/16 3:45 p.m.

I have personally done a Fiat 124 1600 DOHC It was a lot of fun.

I have seen several rotaries and they seen to fit the best in the engine compartment. Exhaust is another issue. Wicked fast on the slalom course.

http://www.britishv8.org/mg/briankraus.htm

1300cc from a swift with a Tracker gearbox is a sweet package that stays away from major fabrication. http://www.ado13.com/dohczuke/dohc.htm

I like the Miata idea myself shifter might end up at the rear bulkhead.

The GM 3.4 V6 has been done.

Here is a Zetec engine out of the focus

http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?2,16202

The rear axle needs to be swapped for any swap.

None of these are what I would call "engine swaps" so much as full make-overs. I got the Fiat engine into the Midget engine compartment easy enough, but had to fabricate a full transmission tunnel and never did get most gauges working. (I was 18 at the time and pretty green and broke when it came to car stuff)

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Dork
4/29/16 5:14 p.m.

Surprised no one has mentioned 22re. The late series ('85+) was 117hp and 140tq. Simple, cheap, lots of aftermarket. Runs on carbs. Side drafts work with the engine design, though the uninformed will say it doesn't... (They need to learn more)

tr8todd
tr8todd Dork
4/29/16 5:39 p.m.

Not the easiest, but probably the most unlikely way... There use to be an old-timer up in Vt, that had a midget with a flathead Ford with a supercharger. It all blew thru a 2" SU mounted on the firewall. The intake track must have been 8 feet long on this thing. He use to show up at the big MG show at the museum in Westminster.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5UbBVn1vU9NXgRcuivMeJz5kiR5UPGL0Nu42CABrXJQ75aWcNG7zhDB2KuWZaGS7