1 ... 3 4 5
wspohn
wspohn HalfDork
4/16/16 2:28 p.m.

Well, not all MG engines are boring siamesed types, but if you don't want to spend much money, this one wouldn't be a good choice for you (in my MGA, not MGB).

Suggest that you revisit the 3.4 V6 option - with some head work they can do a very good job in an MG (this one is ~ 200 BHP)

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/18/16 11:55 a.m.

In reply to wspohn:

NICE! Yeah, the MG twin cam is cool. Here's someone else's because I like threads with pictures.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/18/16 12:07 p.m.

If we're doing pictures, here's what I was driving yesterday

Robbie
4/18/16 12:20 p.m.

Well, thanks to this board, I have made my decision and will stick to it. Winner is -

1.6 Miata motor!

I got it from a couple of guys in the chicago area who autox and race miatas, as well as part them on the side. I got:

• Complete engine (including header, intake all the way to the MAF/air filter box, alternator, sensors, brackets, hoses, etc) It has the large shoulder front pulley bolt (from a 1991 miata with 129k miles).
  • trans (still attached, so clutch/PP/slave)
  • shifter and knob
  • driveshaft
  • clutch and gas/brake pedal assemblies
  • exhaust secondary pipe (attaches to header)
  • fuel tank and fuel pump and filler neck
  • various brackets
  • all 4 complete uncut miata wiring harnesses (and the guy even went through and labeled all the connections with blue tape!)
  • ecu
  • fuse box
  • relay box
  • igniter
  • clutch master cylinder and hard and soft lines going across firewall
  • throttle cable
  • speedometer cable
  • evap canister and valves/hoses

I probably could've bought a wrecked 91 miata for what I paid, but then I would've had to store it and pull all of this stuff myself. I'm satisfied with the deal and would recommend these guys to other chicago miata'ers. I'm very excited to get to work!

The haul:

Robbie
4/18/16 12:23 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

Showoff.

Actually, I was going to contact you since I will need a recommendation and some parts to make sure I get this motor freshened up while it is out of the car and easy (like a timing belt service, or a CAS o-ring, etc). What is the best way? PM? or call FM?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/18/16 12:48 p.m.

Best thing to do is call FM, I'm busy packing for the Mitty One of the other guys can set you up.

Nice start!

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/18/16 1:24 p.m.

In reply to Robbie:

Yes! I win! Congrats on the decision finally made. It will make you very happy.

mattmacklind
mattmacklind UltimaDork
4/18/16 2:15 p.m.

Interesting thread to read. The B drivetrain is indeed underwhelming, and dare I say, completely boring.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 SuperDork
4/18/16 2:36 p.m.

Noice!

Is there a build thread coming?

Robbie
4/18/16 2:39 p.m.
paranoid_android74 wrote: Noice! Is there a build thread coming?

Technically the build thread has been around for more than a year... and the build has been going a lot longer than that. You can tell that I've been pretty crossed up about the direction of this over time. haha. I'll start documenting the build in the build thread.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/rcutclifs-1974-mgb-gt/99434/page1/

frenchyd
frenchyd Reader
4/19/16 3:20 a.m.

In reply to Robbie: Good luck!

I'm glad you selected a group with the knowledge required to help you complete the task even if you did pay a bit more than the absolute minimum. I'm guilty of always paying the absolute minimum and then I'm forced to learn how to solve all the problems and issues myself. I'm certain your approach will result in a faster and easier project than the way I have always done..

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
4/19/16 7:17 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: If we're doing pictures, here's what I was driving yesterday

Where's all the snow?

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
4/19/16 8:40 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: If we're doing pictures, here's what I was driving yesterday

Always love to hear that this is getting driven. If I recall...it was meant to be your wife's car, how is that bit working out?

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/14/19 12:55 p.m.

Well, 3 plus years later and I'm still waffling:

1. 1.6l Miata drivetrain

2. Big aftermarket electric motor

3. Buy basically an entire wrecked production ev and swap the drivetrain

I sorta feel like 1 and 3 produce the best finished product, but I'm not sure I want to keep messing with gasoline stuff. 

And I already have the parts for 1 and 2 in my garage and have done exactly nothing with them yet.

2 and 3 will also require me to buy batteries, which I'm not a huge fan of even though they are really coming down in price thanks to production EVs.

Why can't I figure out what I want?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/14/19 1:12 p.m.

I think 1 and 3 are the best options. A Leaf powertrain will give you way more power than stock and they're relatively easy to get these days. The battery pack can be disassembled and the modules physically relocated around the car with new enclosures.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/14/19 1:18 p.m.

Why not the gm 60 degree v6?

It's a great swap for these cars from what I have read.

The engines are indestructible and there is plenty of aftermarket support.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
8/14/19 1:22 p.m.

Has somebody said rotary?  I'm just here to say MG-13B-GT

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
8/14/19 1:24 p.m.

I would stick to the original plan and do the Miata Swap. There is just no downside from a budget, results or technical challenge point of view; it has been done and makes for a very nice ride.

Parts are in a pile in your shop already and it presents the least amount of inertia. Also, been done enough times that you don't have to re-invent any wheels.

The battery thing? Meh, leaves me in mind of building a golf cart.

Pete

wspohn
wspohn Dork
8/14/19 4:08 p.m.
Tom1200 said:

There is one other thought; have you considered fixing the most annoying issue on the MGB motor. Electronic Distributor and a set of Mikuni or Keihin carbs etc?

Tom

Many owners use an optical trigger distributor. The twin SUs of the pre 1975 MGB are ideal for the car and neither Keihin nor Mikuni are any improvement. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
8/14/19 4:56 p.m.

oh contraire on the Keihin's not being an improvement; I went from SU's (Hitachi) to Keihin Flat Slides on the Datsun and there was an improvement in both power and throttle response. I made no other changes and the car picked up 9hp (verified via dyno testing) There is absolutely nothing wrong with SU carbs but Keihins are better.

If we're picking go with the Miata drivetrain as that seems like it would be the most straightforward.

frenchyd
frenchyd UberDork
8/14/19 8:13 p.m.
Tom1200 said:

oh contraire on the Keihin's not being an improvement; I went from SU's (Hitachi) to Keihin Flat Slides on the Datsun and there was an improvement in both power and throttle response. I made no other changes and the car picked up 9hp (verified via dyno testing) There is absolutely nothing wrong with SU carbs but Keihins are better.

If we're picking go with the Miata drivetrain as that seems like it would be the most straightforward.

I suspect it was because of a better fuel setting rather than  piston vs slide.  9 hp while worth while is easy to be off depending on variations in air density. 

It’s possible , I suppose but On only one day on the Dyno  that’s too short of time to be definitive.  There is a serious learning curve on carburetors that I didn’t really understand until I spent more than a month running the car in all sorts of weather until a clear pattern occurred telling me what jet etc to use under what air density, weather, humidity, etc etc. 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
8/14/19 8:40 p.m.

I know you already have a 1600 engine, but to me the spiritual choice is the 1800 since the B engine is 1798cc.  I also know it’s a good bit more difficult to pull off.  That said, I’ve always like the 60 degree 3400 Chevy engine and it would handle AC just fine.  Love it’s sound too.  

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
8/14/19 9:44 p.m.

@frenchyd I do understand the dyno variance but weather conditions were identical (air temp density etc) but slide carbs flow more by virtue of not having a throttle shaft obstructing the flow. Additionally the flat slide carbs seem to atomize fuel better than butterfly carbs (at least from the studies I've seen)

Back on topic: while the GM V6 is good, what I like about the Miata motor & trans is it probably weighs 100lbs less than the MGB motor trans. 

frenchyd
frenchyd UberDork
8/14/19 10:19 p.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

If that is your choice I agree with Tom1200 I has  a great flavor of the Lotus Twin cam in the Lotus Elan that was the pattern for the Miata.  

Everybody knows what I’d put in it, but you do as you feel best.  

However, with regard to making it an EV,  I’m sorry but that smacks of the Fiberglas MGTD on a Volkswagen chassis.  Not really good at anything while pretending to be something it wasn’t. 

I personally love EV’s but why dress one up in a retro body?  Well I suppose you good find an old Baker and gussy it up with modern stuff, if you absolutely must.  But a MGB GT body?    Sorry just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should.  

I’ll apologize in advance if I’ve offended you.  

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8PqW4DGQCy2SZumDMM09rxjdDCMFh9xP3d4eJy3rbZP8YY0O6p7pvAQaODFglJ9W