Slyp_Dawg
Slyp_Dawg GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/7/10 1:03 a.m.

I'm trying to track down a list of kit cars based on the Miata, and so far I'm just seeing a pair of sevenesque kits (the Westfield and the Road Runner Racing SR2), the Kokopelli Lotus 11 kit, and the Alternative Sports Cars TG (old MG-inspired kit). I'm not counting the new MEV kit because to me it looks ugly as sin and severely unfinished. the one caveat this search has is that the kit NOT require the original Miata shell to be used, for reasons that follow. I discovered the rust on my Miata's right rear fender at the front was a bit worse than I previously believed it to be... I'm basically down to one piece of body tin between the passenger side interior and the outside world, which is enough to total the car and cause it to be unsuitable to drive on the road, but since there is so much on a Miata that isn't permanently affixed to the body, I would feel severely bad about completely scrapping the car once the body rusts through and want at least part of the car to live on to kill another cone. now I know there is the obvious answer of finding another Miata shell and swapping everything over, and then literally everything would transfer over, but I want to know all my options before I commit to one path. I'll do my best to keep tinworm at bay as long as I can, hopefully run this next season with this car, but unfortunately its days are severely numbered

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
11/7/10 7:01 a.m.

The topic of kit cars came up recently. In here you will find a list of all of them and from there you can sort out some of the Miata based.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/if-you-cant-find-something-you-like-here/28298/page1/

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla New Reader
11/7/10 5:10 p.m.

I wouldn't use MEV anyways,I was in discussion with the owner overseas regarding buying 1 of their kits last year,all was going well untill I asked if they could provide a kit with rollover protection that actually provided protection.After that no replies at all from them,so I designed and built my own with no regrets at all.

tuna55
tuna55 Dork
11/7/10 7:26 p.m.
Slyp_Dawg wrote: I'm trying to track down a list of kit cars based on the Miata, and so far I'm just seeing a pair of sevenesque kits (the Westfield and the Road Runner Racing SR2), the Kokopelli Lotus 11 kit, and the Alternative Sports Cars TG (old MG-inspired kit). I'm not counting the new MEV kit because to me it looks ugly as sin and severely unfinished. the one caveat this search has is that the kit NOT require the original Miata shell to be used, for reasons that follow. I discovered the rust on my Miata's right rear fender at the front was a bit worse than I previously believed it to be... I'm basically down to one piece of body tin between the passenger side interior and the outside world, which is enough to total the car and cause it to be unsuitable to drive on the road, but since there is so much on a Miata that isn't permanently affixed to the body, I would feel severely bad about completely scrapping the car once the body rusts through and want at least part of the car to live on to kill another cone. now I know there is the obvious answer of finding another Miata shell and swapping everything over, and then literally everything would transfer over, but I want to know all my options before I commit to one path. I'll do my best to keep tinworm at bay as long as I can, hopefully run this next season with this car, but unfortunately its days are severely numbered

Coming from a guy who drove a truck that: could get wet from the water hitting the rubber mat and soaking it, could see daylight from the A pillar uprights, and could sweep the bed clean from pretty much any side, I have to say, your rust tolerance is very small. That being said, I know I've seen the naked Miata picture, probably from Keith. This is GRM. Measure the track width and the wheelbase, find a body that's close, badda bing, badda boom you've gotta hell of a kit car.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/7/10 7:26 p.m.

Ginetta had a Miata-based version of one of their cars. A real looker, too. Is Deman still around? They had a Locost as well.

I'm not sure Kokopelli has built more than one or two of the Miata-based cars. The MG is a decent performer, I know a guy who runs one in the Targa Tasmania.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
11/7/10 8:04 p.m.

Hate to dash your kit car dreams, but can you or do you know someone who can weld?

You may just need a patch panel.

If nothing else a patch and a kit that uses the Miata shell with bodywork over that section like the Manta Ray or similar could solve your problem nicely.

Slyp_Dawg
Slyp_Dawg GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/7/10 9:26 p.m.

well, my mom's fiance has arranged for me to talk to a bodywork guy who should be able to get it mostly fixed along with a much needed respray in white in preparation for a vinyl wrap to replicate the Brumos Porsche #58 paintscheme (to match my permanent number with my autocross club). best news I've heard all day and that ain't saying much, but that's not a story to be discussed on public channels

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yQGdsANwB0OTJNRjMI56nQLSYxVJXQYj3p6izRNgd2d0yNUmRpZfEBJhLmEezgSp