mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
5/13/19 10:50 a.m.

I had a bit of a sticking caliper issue on my Miata a couple of weeks ago, so it's probably time to just replace the calipers and crusty old rubber lines. Any opinion on what is a better/worse replacement caliper and line? Normal Miata track/autocross/rallycross shenanigans at stock power. 

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/13/19 11:05 a.m.

I am a rebuild the calipers and good stainless braided line kinda person. 

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
5/13/19 11:43 a.m.

I'd just get regular old parts store calipers (replace in pairs).    New rotors and a set of Hawk pads (HPSfront/HP+rear) rounds out the package.

No experience with aftermarket lines.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/13/19 11:53 a.m.
KyAllroad (Jeremy) said:

I'd just get regular old parts store calipers (replace in pairs).    New rotors and a set of Hawk pads (HPSfront/HP+rear) rounds out the package.

No experience with aftermarket lines.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/13/19 12:11 p.m.

I have experience with aftermarket lines, save yourself a packaging headache and get regular rubber lines. They tend to fail in a safer way (causing pedal squishiness or exhibiting visible wear before they blow, vs. just suddenly blowing without warning) and the difference in pedal feel is miniscule.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
5/13/19 12:37 p.m.

There is a nifty little piece from PacoMotorsports called a "master cylinder brace".  It improves pedal feel by reducing firewall flex via a brace that bolts to the shock tower and wedges against the master cylinder. 

Owned one, can confirm it's a worthwhile addition.  Surprising amount of firewall flex on these old roadsters.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/13/19 1:34 p.m.

Rebuild your current calipers (I'd likely paint/powdercoat them to look nice), fresh fluid, rotors, pads, coated-SS lines. 

Call it good. 

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/13/19 1:39 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) :

I got one I transfer from miata to miata. 

NickD
NickD PowerDork
5/13/19 1:47 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:

I have experience with aftermarket lines, save yourself a packaging headache and get regular rubber lines. They tend to fail in a safer way (causing pedal squishiness or exhibiting visible wear before they blow, vs. just suddenly blowing without warning) and the difference in pedal feel is miniscule.

Yeah, I'm running the stainless lines on my Miata and I'm about to rip them off and put regular OEM hoses back on. No amount of fiddling keeps them from rubbing, get them to stop rubbing at one point and they make contact elsewhere. And I could not tell a bit of difference in pedal feel.

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
5/13/19 1:51 p.m.

Stock setup in good order with good pads and fluid will do what you need it to.  Centric plain rotors are cheap, Motul RBF600 fluid, maybe a new M/C if necessary.  Rebuild/replace stock calipers.

I ran Hawk HPS pads with good results until I moved up to R Comps on track.

I ran SS lines with no issues, but new stock lines would probably be fine.

+1 on the M/C brace - they do help with pedal feel.

JTNWEvo
JTNWEvo New Reader
5/13/19 2:23 p.m.

I have a new, never installed set of SS lines from Good-Win racing that I bought for a project and never used. Let me know if you are interested, I will give you a good deal.

JT

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
5/13/19 2:35 p.m.

I'm fine with centric blanks and Powerstop pads. Did a bunch of track time and they worked great. The issue is getting things not to stick/hang up and be able to count on them as this is also a loaner car. 

morello159
morello159 Reader
5/14/19 9:52 a.m.

I've also got a set of stainless 949 racing lines I'm trying to sell (my stock, non-stuck front calipers too if you're interested).  Just the fronts though. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xIZAQQdIjkUNcYOZLkuEM5J2Ob0AvAWjRCheVNM5hUyVLGnEYlLv2Erp8slIf0ia