1 2
Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
8/27/18 8:04 p.m.

Hey party people! I need answers!  Of the miata kind. We are shooting a built miata shootout next tuesday and we have some pretty amazing cars to test. We have quinn's nb itb car, an lfx swapped nb, a fm turbo na, Tommy F yeah's k24/bmw six speed swapped car, a possible exocet is in the works but we'll see. But we're missing some flavors of answer! Any ideas Keith Tanner? We really would love a sorted ls swapped car and maybe a rotary swapped car as well? Any other flavors are welcome for discussion as well, maybe a rotrex car or something? We have a vbox, and limerock's timing equipment and will be doing measured testing as well as track (and if there's time road) impressions. If you're wondering what your car will be subjected to by professional drivers (Quinn and I) check us out at:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Merdian225  

We're shooting at limerock park on Tuesday and are happy to help with logistics. Sorry for the short notice! 

Thanks in advance for all the help and feel free to contact me with anything you think is test worthy miata or otherwise, we're building a database of worthy performance cars that will all be benchmarked on the same track configuration and with the same equipment so we're hoping we car supply real data for all manner of performance cars, stock and modified. We have a jdm legends shootout coming soon too, we already have mkiv supra, fd, nsx (new hybrid and old), r32 gtr, and others as well. A new gt350r is in the works, and many many more so please check us out, like and subscribe! 

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/27/18 8:30 p.m.

If you were at COTA and not Limerock I'd volunteer my girl up to give you a sorted LS. But even though I'll be close to limerock, my car will still be in Texas. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/27/18 8:47 p.m.

In reply to Carbon :

Since you’re on a road course, if you could get a fairly competitive FM car/driver to use as a baseline for that day’s conditions it would help put the other cars’ times into context. 

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
8/27/18 9:16 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:

In reply to Carbon :

Since you’re on a road course, if you could get a fairly competitive FM car/driver to use as a baseline for that day’s conditions it would help put the other cars’ times into context. 

So I'm clear, you're looking for a spec miata time? That's a pretty interesting idea. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/27/18 9:31 p.m.

In reply to Carbon :

Correct. You could just use published lap times for them, but that wouldn’t account for any weather variations. 

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
8/27/18 9:52 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:

In reply to Carbon :

Correct. You could just use published lap times for them, but that wouldn’t account for any weather variations. 

We want the footage and driving impressions for all these cars anyway. We want to convey the driving experience as well as the dynamic impressions. No file times will be used for this series. It's a somewhat unique configuration too (no rear chicane but full short course clockwise).  

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
8/27/18 9:55 p.m.
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/27/18 10:33 p.m.

I'll have to think about who's in the area. Nothing comes to mind immediately, but I'll check.

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
8/27/18 10:46 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I'll have to think about who's in the area. Nothing comes to mind immediately, but I'll check.

Thanks man. We had nice words to say about you and your company in our last podcast (will air soon), all true. 

NickD
NickD UberDork
8/28/18 5:24 a.m.

I have a Rotrex-supercharged 1990, 1.8L swapped, makes 245whp. Primarily an autocross car. 4.10 Torsen, FM VMAXX coilovers, FM front sway bar, polyurethane bushings, 225 BF Goodrich Rival 1.5s, Blackbird rollbar. And Lime Rock is only about 3 hours away. 

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
8/28/18 8:17 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

Awesome, I'd love to see a rotrex car represented. I'll pm you to co ordinate. Thanks! 

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
8/28/18 8:38 a.m.

All cars so far are on 200tw tires but it's not remotely a deal breaker. We can note tires that are not 200tw in the results and as that will certainly be a factor. It might not be a bad thing to have a bone stock clean example on hand to compare to as well if anyone has one. I can probably find one of those. 

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
8/28/18 9:30 a.m.

Same time next year?

Pete

Keith Tanner
8/28/18 10:52 a.m.
Carbon said:

All cars so far are on 200tw tires but it's not remotely a deal breaker. We can note tires that are not 200tw in the results and as that will certainly be a factor. It might not be a bad thing to have a bone stock clean example on hand to compare to as well if anyone has one. I can probably find one of those. 

Mazda has them. Or are you only considering cars that are over a decade old as "Miatas"? Have you contacted the local club?

Our most recent NC V8 is in NJ. I'll drop him a line, but it's very much a fast street car instead of a max lap time monster. Give me an email to use and I'll put him in touch if he's interested.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/28/18 10:59 a.m.

I’d love the chance to see how my older built FM NB would stand up to those competitors, but no way I can make it this weekend. 

First car I’ve ever driven that accelerates so quickly I have to watch the tach all the way through first and second to avoid hitting the limiter.  That redline comes fast!

Next year?

NickD
NickD UberDork
8/28/18 11:20 a.m.
Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
8/28/18 12:09 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

We're constantly going to add to the database. That's the great thing, we're doing the same track configuration and doing the same telemetry on every car we test from hybrid nsx to gt350r to stock miata. We'll have a running list of all the lap times and other vbox data. We want to document that grassroots tuning can compete with high dollar oem sports/super cars not just in performance but in terms of driving experience as well. 

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
8/28/18 12:14 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
Carbon said:

Mazda has them. Or are you only considering cars that are over a decade old as "Miatas"? Have you contacted the local club?

Our most recent NC V8 is in NJ. I'll drop him a line, but it's very much a fast street car instead of a max lap time monster. Give me an email to use and I'll put him in touch if he's interested.

If mazda calls it a miata, or ever did (exocet for instance), it's absolutely welcome! We're in contact with the nutmeg as well as mass miata clubs. 

NickD
NickD UberDork
8/28/18 12:43 p.m.
Carbon said:

In reply to NOHOME :

We're constantly going to add to the database. That's the great thing, we're doing the same track configuration and doing the same telemetry on every car we test from hybrid nsx to gt350r to stock miata. We'll have a running list of all the lap times and other vbox data. We want to document that grassroots tuning can compete with high dollar oem sports/super cars not just in performance but in terms of driving experience as well. 

And in the process, you get to drive a lot of really wild Miatas. Win-win

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
8/28/18 1:07 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

Not just miatas. That's just the focus of this episode. The next one is 90s jdm legends, supras, r32 gtr, nsx, fd rx7, maybe a z32 300z if we can find one, 3000gt if we can find one, 240sx/ silvia, 1jz soarer with a cd009 swap.  We're doing some cool tests. 

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/28/18 1:21 p.m.

Suggestion for a stock ND2 with some 200 TW tires, if one can be located.

Obviously, not going to get comparable times to the power adder or LS swapped cars, but it would be good to baseline one. 

Keith Tanner
8/28/18 1:22 p.m.

No point in baselining an ND2 if you're not going to fix the alignment. It'll be off on a new car. That's worth a surprising amount of time on a lap - we've tried it.

A bit more warning would make it easier to line up cars - FYI.

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
8/28/18 1:23 p.m.
Floating Doc said:

Obviously, not going to get comparable times to the power adder or LS swapped cars, but it would be good to baseline one. 

If we can find one, we have a friend with one but he's a canook so that doesn't help us next week. It'd be great if we had more time to plan but Tuesday works for the track and works for a bunch of the parties that are involved. 

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
8/28/18 1:26 p.m.

We might have to do a part 2 shoot because of the short notice, but we want to make the best of it. 

Justjim75
Justjim75 Reader
8/28/18 1:40 p.m.
Floating Doc said:

I'd like very much to know how much is gained over stock by spending money and time on FI and swaps

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RmqL7x6QT1d5OtqzUK9JkzGTQTK10l2qlWvKNAlT1Ih4uqjbS0KKT87UWrVSHNZz