dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/9/16 3:22 p.m.

My new-to-me NB Miata needs some cosmetic help. Mainly the hard top, with the PO had started to sand/prep for paint, but never finished. Based on the vinyl wrap threads, I'd like to wrap it. Mainly because it would be easier than painting it and less permanent, especially if I were to choose a "vibrant" color.

In addition to a color change on the hard top, I will be adding a roll bar, and am thinking about a bright color there too, via powder coating.

Lastly are wheels. I'm going to go with 15" wheels and tend to lean towards darker finishes there.

Knowing that, I'd love suggestions on a color scheme. Here is the car as it sits now:

Initially, I was thinking a black hard top and black wheels would look good, but found this picture online and am not sure I like it:

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/9/16 3:27 p.m.

Lime green all the things

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
2/9/16 3:30 p.m.

Ive been REALLY liking bronze/gold wheels on light colored cars lately. Perhaps with a Black top? Silver top with Black stripes?

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/9/16 3:31 p.m.

In reply to 4cylndrfury:

Yes, bronze wheels with lime lip, bronze rollbar and lime green top

Vracer111
Vracer111 Reader
2/9/16 4:31 p.m.
captdownshift wrote: Lime green all the things

+1 for lime green,

Alternatively a nice Highlighter Yellow maybe as well.

Do the top, wheels, rollbar, and mirrors. Perfect complimentary color for a silver/gray car.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
2/9/16 4:43 p.m.

If you are going to do a wrap, make it look like Trumps hair.

dyintorace
2/10/16 8:21 a.m.

I was unclear in my original post. I plan on keeping the car silver. It's the hard top I am thinking about wrapping. I wonder if this color scheme (with an orange hard top thrown in) would look cool.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/10/16 8:27 a.m.

Yes, it would.

NickD
NickD HalfDork
2/10/16 8:28 a.m.
dyintorace wrote: I was unclear in my original post. I plan on keeping the car silver. It's the hard top I am thinking about wrapping. I wonder if this color scheme (with an orange hard top thrown in) would look cool.

Don't like the car. Do like the color scheme. Go for it!

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing Reader
2/10/16 8:34 a.m.

Black wheels are definately becoming thing. I love the way my Konig Heliums in semi-gloss black wheels look on my red track car, and I like the look on Silver cars, too. To my eye, a black hardtop and black wheels would look really nice and understated, as long as the finish is similar (both in gloss, or both in semi-gloss).

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/10/16 10:46 a.m.

Not a fan of black wheels at all. It just makes the wheel arches into undifferentiated black blobs. I'd much rather a contrasting wheel, or grey at the darkest. I like the idea of the orange wheels, rocker stripe, and hardtop.

STM317
STM317 Reader
2/10/16 10:59 a.m.

A guy I autocross with has his hardtop wrapped in a pretty realistic looking matte finish carbon fiber vinyl. From a distance, it looks almost black, but it catches light in some interesting ways that let you know it's not just black. Maybe that's an option if the regular black is too glossy for you.

Claff
Claff Reader
2/10/16 11:23 a.m.

The black hardtop will look a lot better if you also wrap the windshield frame a matching black.

I am also not a fan of black wheels.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UltraDork
2/10/16 11:36 a.m.

^^^^
This. Black windshield surround with a black top looks good.

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
2/10/16 1:49 p.m.

I'm a fan of the all-one-color look, with aero being the exception:

car39
car39 HalfDork
2/10/16 3:18 p.m.

A friend has a silver NB with a silver top. It's too bland in my opinion. I went with a contrasting color on the silver. The roof is painted a 2013 Volvo C30 color. I wish I could remember the color code, but it was the graphite color. I like it with the black trunk rack and the chrome / black wheels. It's all subjective.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
2/10/16 4:29 p.m.

I think brushed aluminum wheels with a black top / windshield header would look good, while still being understated. I don't like my cars to look too loud---- attracts too much unwanted attention from Johnny law.

digdug18
digdug18 Dork
2/11/16 7:49 p.m.

I vote you go with the black top, rainbow racing stripes and pink triangle decals. To REALLY show what owning a miata is all about.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
2/12/16 6:00 a.m.

Plastidip seems like a good option, especially since you can change it easily.

I have been a fan of WW2 aircraft paint schemes recently.

dyintorace
2/12/16 11:21 a.m.

No decisions yet. I know I need to do something with the hard top. What color goes on that will determine how the rest of the car turns out. On one hand, a bright color would be cool. On the other hand, a good looking charcoal grey that matches the wheels would look neat too.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FZSEdW2GUJVDqgWkKayk5fySY6axKCQ6R2dSK3Qep9xPqBvkb9tS6QCF57eqfSxj