1 2
kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/6/09 10:29 a.m.

http://www.autokonexion.com/

also seen here:

http://jalopnik.com/5397110/miata-rx-makes-rotary-fetishists-dreams-come-true

$1,800. That's pretty damn tempting, considering a used standard hardtop goes for around $1000

thoughts?

splitime
splitime Reader
11/6/09 10:31 a.m.

Fitment has tended to be so so. Mike even says it should be done by someone who does fiberglass to finish it.
Then again, maybe this latest full top will fit better.

www.clubroadster.net for all details through its original addon design and current design. Along with the flares etc he sells.... CR.net has been the growing ground.

mattmacklind
mattmacklind SuperDork
11/6/09 12:11 p.m.

Doesn't look as good as the Miata coupes that were made early on, looks too ricer-ish.

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/6/09 12:44 p.m.

I kinda like it. Still, my biggest complaint about a top of any kind on a miata, Freaking huge blind spots, on a car that small, it's just dangerous. Still I like it.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Reader
11/6/09 12:58 p.m.
Spinout007 wrote: I kinda like it. Still, my biggest complaint about a top of any kind on a miata, Freaking huge blind spots, on a car that small, it's just dangerous. Still I like it.

the blind spot on my Miata is way smaller with the hard top on then it is with the soft top. Look at the size of the hardtop window compared to the soft top. It is at least as good as an average sedan that I have driven. Sure, no top is best but that can't be done year round in ohio.

Autolex
Autolex HalfDork
11/6/09 1:16 p.m.

yeah, but think about NO top!?

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/6/09 1:47 p.m.

I've always felt the original Coupe showcar was the prettiest. Little Zagato bubble on the top and some very nice lines. Lots of useful room in the interior and a real trunk. Never made production but I've always been tempted to try making a replica.

Trivia - it's asymmetrical. The team tried different treatments where the C pillar blends into the trunklid. I'd never noticed until Tom Matano pointed it out to me when we were standing in front of the car.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/6/09 2:26 p.m.

I agree... where they tried to make a coupe is MUCH better

nderwater
nderwater Reader
11/6/09 2:27 p.m.

In reply to Keith:

Very FD RX-7. Gorgeous!

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/6/09 2:52 p.m.
Autolex wrote: yeah, but think about NO top!?

Agree'd that is the optimum way to drive a miata, Looking at their website it states that you have to remove the trunk lid, but has to be reinstalled if you want to go topless. Kinda gives it a mini 350zish look, dunno, I like it, would prob do it for a weekend/track car, but I would make the attempt to it myself before shelling out that kind of cash, you can see where they loped the back of a factory hardtop off to get the forward half of the mold.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
11/6/09 4:41 p.m.

Viper Baby?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/6/09 4:51 p.m.

I've always loved that yellow coupe and I would own one if they had put them into production.

Of course, I bought two of the regular ones anyway, so they didn't exactly lose me as a customer.

We need Zeintec to do a Miata Zeintop.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/boxster-cayman-forum/442785-zeintop-2001-boxster-s.html

asterisk
asterisk New Reader
11/6/09 6:57 p.m.

It looks like the hardtop Spoon made for the S2000:

jcanracer
jcanracer Reader
11/6/09 6:59 p.m.

I read the jalopnik article 5 mins after it was posted, and i was like... DO WANT!

Autolex
Autolex HalfDork
11/6/09 8:41 p.m.
Keith wrote:

That's GORGEOUS!

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
11/7/09 11:50 a.m.

They actually did make a coupe.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
11/7/09 12:06 p.m.

That Spoon S2K is sick.

Zman
Zman New Reader
11/7/09 6:26 p.m.

WOW tha tmakes it look so much hotter imo :D

EDIT: That S2000 Fastback is EVEN HOTTER!

Keith
11/7/09 6:52 p.m.

I never liked the semi-production coupe (Japan only, 2003 or so) as much as that one-off.

More pictures of various Miata coupes here.

CLNSC3
CLNSC3 Reader
11/12/09 1:10 a.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote: They actually did make a coupe.

I want this car SO bad! Its a damn shame they never made it to the US!

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt Reader
11/12/09 1:32 a.m.

The MX-5 really does look a lot better as a coupe, but that applies IMHO to most cars

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson Reader
11/12/09 6:05 a.m.
Keith wrote: I never liked the semi-production coupe (Japan only, 2003 or so) as much as that one-off. More pictures of various Miata coupes here.

Keith, how was that car made? It looks like a hard top blended in with bondo. Looks good though, can it be replicated?

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/12/09 7:16 a.m.

A coupe version would make Miata ownership much more viable for me. Miata shooting brake?

skeeler
skeeler New Reader
11/12/09 9:23 a.m.
splitime wrote: Fitment has tended to be so so. Mike even says it should be done by someone who does fiberglass to finish it.

What's the word on the fitment of the other Autokonexion parts, like the hoods and trunklids?

Keith
11/12/09 10:44 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: Keith, how was that car made? It looks like a hard top blended in with bondo. Looks good though, can it be replicated?

It's not just a normal hardtop blended in, it's a custom piece. The glass and roof shape are wrong for the normal top. Of course it could be replicated if you have the right skills, it was made by humans.

Here are the only pictures I've ever seen of its construction. The dates are interesting, I remember this car coming out in 1996. Mazda's design studio used to have a website with more info on the car, but it's all gone now.

As I said, I'd love to build a replica of this car.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
i3SStunAAjPk9Ld64vrJHHDgsduSTvDTDSXcgYe2wLvpcTs2EZ95glYwk9sl4Qey