1 2
paul
paul New Reader
2/22/10 7:19 p.m.

Never seen anything like it! Looks like a miata'esque s2000 with a spoon hardtop, maybe a little 1st gen rx7 & 944 mixed in...

BAMF
BAMF Reader
2/22/10 7:21 p.m.

The silhouette is good, but the windows seem ill proportione. I like it though and I would love a hatch/fastback Miata.

paul
paul New Reader
2/22/10 7:24 p.m.

Probably the same kit, but I really like the lines of this one!

or a coupe would be nice:

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports HalfDork
2/22/10 7:29 p.m.

Would I do that to my Miata if I owned one: Probably not.

Do I like it: For some reason yes. Like the red one more than the white one.

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/22/10 7:54 p.m.

Love the roofline but the window implementation is way too kitcar-ish for my taste.

That kit has been around for a while, but it still pricey. white one looks nice, but I say pic needs more 1st gen RX7; sweet roofline already included, cheaper, no h20 leaks/creaks, better structural integrity and magic spinning triangles to boot!

It's a shame there was no factory coupe. It would have the legendary status now held alone by the Z3 M Coupe.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/22/10 7:56 p.m.

Mmmmmm...

Appleseed
Appleseed Dork
2/22/10 9:16 p.m.

The coupe rules.

hamburglar
hamburglar New Reader
2/22/10 9:22 p.m.

Anybody else see a bit of a modern triumph gtv6 in there? I like it. How much does that kit go for?

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/22/10 11:08 p.m.
mblommel wrote: It's a shame there was no factory coupe. It would have the legendary status now held alone by the Z3 M Coupe.

There was. The yellow/gold car was a stunning show car, only one was ever made. It was called the M Coupe before BMW ever thought that would be cool.

But the red car above (the one posted by Paul) was an actual Japan-only production car. So not only was it pretty (I prefer the NA show car myself) and rare, but it's JDM-only! WOoo!

Unlike the Z3 M coupe, the Miata coupe had no particular performance upgrades. It just had a top that didn't go down.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
2/22/10 11:32 p.m.
Keith wrote: Unlike the Z3 M coupe, the Miata coupe had no particular performance upgrades. It just had a top that didn't go down.

You could also get a Z3 coupe, that wasn't an M.

Keith
2/22/10 11:34 p.m.

I know. Such a disappointing car. It looks like the bonkers version but, well, isn't.

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/22/10 11:42 p.m.

If the Miata came with a real roof, I might actually consider owning one. I've always thought the limited-production Japan-only coupe looks great and is quite appealing. Not quite appealing enough to leave everything here and move to Japan for, but a nice dream.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
2/23/10 5:49 a.m.

Remember that goofy 70's Corvette add on kit that made it a station wagon? I wonder how a Miata would look with that?

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/23/10 5:53 a.m.

Mofoshopped:

From CARS

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/23/10 6:40 a.m.

Yes, if the fastback had gone mainstream production, I'd have been pulled to the dark side (driving an import) long ago. The pull is geting stronger with these photos though. Who makes that kit? Fender flares are a must have to go with it...

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/23/10 6:49 a.m.

The same company makes these:

From CARS

From CARS

It's called MSPaint, it can be found bundled on your computer ;)

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/23/10 9:41 a.m.

I like the kit, don't like the price, I'm more willing to try and do something like that on my own, especially since it's nothing more than a hardtop, with a hatch grafted onto it.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Reader
2/23/10 10:19 a.m.

That 2 piece roof is from Autokonexion. I'm pretty sure they have,or are developing a one piece version of it.The one piece looks better , but has a similar window treatment.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/23/10 10:22 a.m.

Thats what I was looking for, thankyou.

bravenrace
bravenrace Dork
2/23/10 11:44 a.m.

If Honda had made either one of these, I'd be an owner.

Keith
2/23/10 12:20 p.m.

That last S2000 coupe picture has definite Integra styling cues. I can't say it's all that attractive to me, but it does integrate with the car pretty well from this angle.

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/23/10 1:08 p.m.

I'd swear that 90 percent of the threads on here are on a 6 to 12 month rotation. Didn't we hash this out 8 months or so ago?

Not that I really have a problem with it. I'll gladly fantasize about fastback Miatas a couple of times per year.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
2/23/10 1:10 p.m.

Do all these "hatch kits" render the trunk useless?

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Reader
2/23/10 1:15 p.m.

There is a removable trunk lid on the kit. It doesn't swing up on hinges, but is completely removed. It's held in place by a couple of locating pins and the stock latch, I believe.

mkiisupra
mkiisupra New Reader
2/23/10 1:51 p.m.
kreb wrote: I'd swear that 90 percent of the threads on here are on a 6 to 12 month rotation. Didn't we hash this out 8 months or so ago? Not that I really have a problem with it. I'll gladly fantasize about fastback Miatas a couple of times per year.

Yes, last time it had me shuffling around to hardtop miata companies, and yes they look cool! I think the last time this thread was visited, there was a link to a miater forum about the same topic. Last time, someone offered how the last gen zx/2 may have a compatible roofline. How-to chop shows have got me thinkin...

Too many projects, too little space.

Eric G

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7UErlzXLMIvRGwoWAtf9DCdHNQPTqLgNaYqK7WzRMgRxwBIUIVqTuAv3GevzThpW