Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
1/20/16 8:57 a.m.
feature_image

Our project Miata race car is signed up for the 'Shine Country Classic, brought to you by the 24 Hours of LeMons on February 6-7.

What does this mean for us? It's time to kick preparations into high gear. Bridgestone sent us two sets of their Potenza RE-71R, which we think will be the fastest 200-treadwear tire available …

Read the rest of the story

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
1/20/16 12:20 p.m.

keep in mind that while I LOVE my RE-71R's for autoX, they will give up their grip pretty quickly when hammer on on track .. or so local "knowledge" claims ...

since my go to track tire is no longer available .. I'm very interested in the results of the 71R and the track ... keep us up to date ...

by the way, how is Curmudgeons car coming along ?

NickD
NickD HalfDork
1/20/16 1:03 p.m.
wbjones wrote: keep in mind that while I LOVE my RE-71R's for autoX, they will give up their grip pretty quickly when hammer on on track .. or so local "knowledge" claims ... since my go to track tire is no longer available .. I'm very interested in the results of the 71R and the track ... keep us up to date ... by the way, how is Curmudgeons car coming along ?

I've heard otherwise. We have a guy in our autocross who runs these on a ChumpCar E30 at Watkins Glenn, Lime Rock and Calabogie and he says the car is way more competitive on the RE71Rs. "Night and day difference over any other tire" was his exact words

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/20/16 1:50 p.m.

30 minutes on RE-71Rs with an ND Miata at High Plains Raceway, no loss of grip. Sore neck though.

Snrub
Snrub Reader
1/20/16 2:31 p.m.

Can a set of RE-71Rs last a full LeMons race distance?

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/20/16 2:37 p.m.

My anti-pixel software program reveals a large marital aide on the side, bold choice.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/20/16 3:13 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: My anti-pixel software program reveals a large marital aide on the side, bold choice.

i was going with a large penis. so i was close!

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
1/21/16 8:25 a.m.
patgizz wrote:
pinchvalve wrote: My anti-pixel software program reveals a large marital aide on the side, bold choice.
i was going with a large penis. so i was close!

I guess they figured that if they couldn't have one of those, they'd just put it on their car.

evildky
evildky SuperDork
1/21/16 9:17 a.m.

So it's not blurred to hide a giant phallus on the side of the car?

4shadesofblue
4shadesofblue New Reader
1/22/16 8:00 a.m.

I will be interested in how well they hold up. I have been looking at tires for my Miata for a WRL race in May. WHat size are you running? I was thinking about using a 225/45/15 over the 205/50/15.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
1/22/16 3:49 p.m.

We're running 205/50R15 tires.

Here's another shot of the theme:

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/22/16 3:50 p.m.

Hulk hogan?

LuxInterior
LuxInterior Reader
1/22/16 5:01 p.m.

Powerpuff Girls?

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UberDork
1/22/16 5:04 p.m.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
1/22/16 5:09 p.m.

Some of the people in the know that I've talked to highly highly recommend a heat cycle or two and then a rest of a couple of days to get full grippy life out of the 71R.
Looking forward to fewer pixels.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LmIbs2PVWRN21G6jQOuidjJPGgDv3UUCAfYBbgtLTJAHqpJuA2hmOBznrNSXeHsV