Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/10/09 7:23 p.m.

I plan to remove the power steering from my Miata next week, but I plan to keep the air conditioning.

The shop manual diagram shows the belt going from the crank pulley, around an idler pulley and then the A/C compressor. Is the pulley that drives the power steering pump actually the idler pulley or do I need to find a different pulley and bracket assembly? I'm wondering if the pump unbolts from the back of pulley bracket and the bracket and idler stay in place.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/10/09 8:50 p.m.

You need the special pulley for this. It replaces the PS pulley. We might have some at FM.

Woody
4/11/09 10:03 a.m.

Thanks Keith. I'll give you guys a call on Monday.

Is it just the pulley that's different, or is it the whole bracket assembly?

modernbeat
modernbeat HalfDork
4/12/09 9:37 p.m.

It's a whole bracket assembly along with a pulley.

I believe if you already have PS, you can reuse the bolts that held the PS bracket to the engine.

Woody
4/13/09 12:54 p.m.

I found a part number for "Standard Steering Sub-Kit", NA01-YV-SK1 , which is apparently the whole assembly. It is listed as required when adding A/C to a car without P/S in the 1990 A/C installation instructions.

Can anyone confirm that the same part is used on a 1.8? I can't find any reference to it when I search by part number, nor can I find A/C installation instructions for a 1996.

Thanks.

Woody
4/13/09 1:13 p.m.

I've also found a part number for a 99 Sub Kit, NA79-YV-SK1, which may get me closer.

Keith
4/13/09 2:17 p.m.

I can't think of why it would be different on a 1.8.

The parts fiches show the assembly as BP01-15-930. Same part number for 1990, 1995, 1997 and 1999.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/13/09 3:15 p.m.

Anybody got a picture of that part? Removing the PS would help my new turbo install with a bit of room...

Woody
4/13/09 3:54 p.m.
Xceler8x wrote: Anybody got a picture of that part? Removing the PS would help my new turbo install with a bit of room...

I just thought that there might be an alignment difference between the 1.6 and 1.8.

http://www.miata.net/garage/AirInstall/AirParts.pdf

Keith
4/13/09 4:30 p.m.

The difference between my part number and that for the "sub kit" would be the belt :)

If you're not running AC, you don't need to worry about it.

Woody
4/13/09 8:23 p.m.

I got this e-mail from Rosenthal Mazda so I thought I'd pass it on:

Since both kits are exactly the same you should use the NA79, as the NA01 is no longer available. There was a difference in the bolt and belt numbers in the NA01 kits but they have since been superceeded to the NA79 numbers.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/14/09 9:09 a.m.

Thanks for the parts blow-up. Gave me an idea as to how this could be applied to turbo cars.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
F1qkXRElDWenZcfqGultpzRYCYkeutUpevS10eka5BvO2XddarS6BXdpeKE7EPnR