masterjr33
masterjr33 New Reader
1/11/19 3:34 p.m.

long story short as possible.

no start, spinning over 93 miata. Code #1.  No IGF signal.

tried another ignitor no change.

any gurus know how/where to diag this?

most places/people just say  "swap in a new cas" 450$.. .. Swap igniters (100$)!. must be the coils ( 100$) or try a new AFM! (100$)..

before i take random parts swapping advise and spend 700$ on parts, can anyone tell me or what me through a diag on this.

Seems like one miata forum only wants to talk about finding OEM floor matts and the new chrome trim bezels for the A/C vents..

and the other miata forum only seems to want to put on 15x12 wheels at stupid camber angles and other attention mods..

and the last one i look at just tells everyone to go megasquirt and put on a turbo.

Grounds are good.  fuel pump working.  cleaned and lubed CAS connection. ignitor connection and ECU connection.

My ohm meter is currently gone to someone elses house. but i have my test light and probinator.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/11/19 3:46 p.m.

Step 1: is the timing belt broken?

Here's the Mazda troubleshooting procedure for this code. Obviously, if the answer is "no" to any of these questions then fix it.

- check connection at coil and igniter

- does the tach work? If no, check the wiring from the igniter to ECU terminal 2l

- check resistance of coil (0.78-0.94 ohms for primary, 11.2-15.2 kilo ohms for secondary)

-is there continuity between coil and igniter?

- is voltage at ignition coil terminal wire OK? (12v)

- is voltage at igniter terminal wire ok? (12v)

- is there continuity between igniter and ground?

- check igniter

masterjr33
masterjr33 New Reader
1/14/19 7:28 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Step 1: is the timing belt broken?   No. cam spins fine. 

Here's the Mazda troubleshooting procedure for this code. Obviously, if the answer is "no" to any of these questions then fix it.

- check connection at coil and igniter   connector is clean and tight. with fresh diaelectric grease 

- does the tach work? If no, check the wiring from the igniter to ECU terminal 2l  will check tonight

- check resistance of coil (0.78-0.94 ohms for primary, 11.2-15.2 kilo ohms for secondary)     no ohm gauge.. its out on lend.. seeming to be permanent lend.. ill get another one. 

-is there continuity between coil and igniter?    which connections?  anyone have diag for pins on it? 

- is voltage at ignition coil terminal wire OK? (12v)  I can check tonight.

- is voltage at igniter terminal wire ok? (12v)  I can check tonight.

- is there continuity between igniter and ground?   i think it is labeled.  i'll check tonight. grounds are all nice and clean. 

- check igniter   looks clean. normal. no cracks. or grease. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
f9JWmpETGWArYX5EBLKXHEFc43Sz5pAI0ShOVh78b69yObvRJd4jgGyRisqrG9FV