oilstain
oilstain
3/5/16 4:05 p.m.

So, a Miata Kart hit Jalopnik (Black Flag) recently. (Miata-o-doom) A poster mentioned the awesome C4 Vette-Kart that Roadkill made. I watched the episode, and that got me to thinking... how would an old Camaro or Trans-Am do with the strip-cage-hoon treatment? Anyone know of any examples? One would be led to believe that something like that could be built very inexpensively!

The idea of course is to take something available stupidly cheap, with adequate power, and dismantle it until it reaches awesome (you'll know when you get there). Hopefully something with lots of aftermarket goodies so one could tweak suspension and such. I really can't think of much better than some LT1 abomination, since it has a great engine, is not overly complicated, weighs so much more than it needs to, and can be found for dirt cheap.

Does anyone have any other examples of this type of car mod? Might be fun with something 4wd too. Old WRX or Evo? Ooh, an old Audi Quattro could lose thousands of pounds easily, but there would still be the fargin computers that get cranky if a door sensor is disconnected. Could possibly pick something up from an auction if a tree fell on it or something like that. Tow truck hauling in Audi-Kart-Thing "Hey, I disconnected the battery, I need you to VAG the throttle position sensor, okay?" O.o

/drunkenPonderings

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
3/5/16 5:14 p.m.

There are plenty of C5 roller skates on ebay. That would be the easy button.

like this but start with a crashed c5 from copart.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Corvette-Base-Coupe-2-Door-/311560071272?forcerrptr=true&hash=item488a6d6868:g:TXcAAOSwwPhWkCz8&item=311560071272

Brian
Brian MegaDork
3/5/16 5:29 p.m.

I love kart conversions, but I wonder how it works with a hard top car. Leave the top or cut it off and pray the cage is good enough?

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
3/5/16 6:38 p.m.

I saw the Miata Kart and my first thought went to restoring weight balance. I wonder how much weight you'd have to put on the tail to get it back to near 50/50?

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
3/5/16 8:49 p.m.
pimpm3 wrote: There are plenty of C5 roller skates on ebay. That would be the easy button. like this but start with a crashed c5 from copart. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Corvette-Base-Coupe-2-Door-/311560071272?forcerrptr=true&hash=item488a6d6868:g:TXcAAOSwwPhWkCz8&item=311560071272

The viper ones are even better. Shame about the price.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
3/5/16 9:49 p.m.

You guys are not thinking with enough cylinders

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/5/16 10:03 p.m.

The Miata Eliminator is a much better execution.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 SuperDork
3/6/16 7:40 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: The Miata Eliminator is a much better execution.

Yikes that's ugly! Other than an Exocet, I think Roadkill's cart nails it perfectly.

Rodan
Rodan New Reader
3/6/16 9:33 a.m.

I kind of like the Eliminator. Homebuilts are commonly called "Ghettocets" on the Miata forums. I think one would be a hoot with FM's new lift kit and rally tires...

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/6/16 10:35 a.m.

In reply to sethmeister4:

I disagree.

Where are all these dirt cheap, haggard C4s?

chiodos
chiodos Dork
3/6/16 10:47 a.m.

Sorta related question I have to ask now. Why are there so many Vette/viper "skates" on eBay?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/6/16 11:51 a.m.

Insurance buy backs?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5NUjkumxMJvyQCRbOZ4dVgFzHtt1atdnQ94H15ZcSeYxv2mgTlS9UKJ8S20ed5uC