1 2
benzbaron
benzbaron New Reader
12/19/08 6:02 p.m.

Wouldn't a torsen diff have a sticker or plate on it reminding you to use the special gear lube? I don't know about miatas but that is what they do on the benz. Or you look at the options plate.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
12/19/08 6:13 p.m.
Keith wrote: I didn't go to the Miata.net listing, I went to Mazda Miata: Find It, Fix It, Trick It because I know the guy who did the research found a few errors in some of the Miata.net stuff and because I like being able to isolate one thing - the rear subframe brace - instead of an either/or situation. My brain doesn't remember those sorts of details anymore.

Yeah, I heard the guys who put that together are pretty smart and know a thing or two about Miatas. That subframe brace is pretty quick and easy to check.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/19/08 8:40 p.m.
benzbaron wrote: Wouldn't a torsen diff have a sticker or plate on it reminding you to use the special gear lube? I don't know about miatas but that is what they do on the benz. Or you look at the options plate.

Miatas don't have an option plate, and Torsens don't need special lube. If only it were that easy! Mazda will happily tell you if you call them though.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/19/08 9:02 p.m.
Woody wrote: I think that if a 97 has power windows, it's safe to assume that it also has a Torsen.

Whoops! I think I got that one wrong. I may have been thinking of the power antenna.

Here's the spec sheet from the 97 brochure:

http://www.miata.net/faq/brochures/1997/Back.jpg

benzbaron
benzbaron New Reader
12/19/08 11:23 p.m.

Thanks for the info Keith I don't know much about miatas, but I'm and eager learner. I only learned they were RWD a few months ago, I though pretty much all new japanese cars were FWD so hell if I know. I really should banish myself to the classics site but you guys are much more interesting. I must be wrong as usual. Thanks though!

Wait I remember reading about an older mercedes using a gleason diff which is a mechanical locking diff. Must be something like that without any clutch plates. The gleason uses a worm screw or something that makes it that basically prevents wheel slippage.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
12/19/08 11:27 p.m.
benzbaron wrote: Thanks for the info Keith I don't know much about miatas, but I'm and eager learner. I only learned they were RWD a few months ago, I though pretty much all new japanese cars were FWD so hell if I know. I really should banish myself to the classics site but you guys are much more interesting. I must be wrong as usual. Thanks though!

You need an opportunity to drive one. If you're ever at an event with me, I'll let you take mine for a spin (presuming you know how to drive manual), as long as it doesn't cut out my drive time. My car is "The Slut" for a reason.

Maybe you can make it out to an SVR PCA auto-x sometime. They're usually held in Stockton, but occasionally they do them at the paddock at Infineon. The same offer is extended to Capt. Slow, but I think he knows that already.

benzbaron
benzbaron New Reader
12/19/08 11:50 p.m.

Thanks for the info, I really want to get my old car out on the track sometime to see what it can to, but on a tight course the auto tranny won't do you any favors. I'm doing my own personal race to San Diego coming up. After the holidays I'm gonna solicit some of you folks to see if anyone would like to drive through the mountains around here. You don't realize how nice it is to live next to the mountains until you don't and have to drive 50miles to hit some curve i.e. san diego.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NyR8MdH0YaJNNFtno4hLeNgVrdBYJ0qBtj5PzNESJRjr0ybSTIp8ROXkwRSnY6HG