1 2
jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports Reader
2/18/09 6:59 a.m.

Has anybody on here done this swap?

How involved is it. Does the Miata engine fit in the MG without a lot of cutting and welding?

I may have access to a cheap MG and a running Miata without a title.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
2/18/09 7:05 a.m.

It'd be tight but doable in a midget. Easier in a B. Go here: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/store/backissues/ and click "miata-powered MG"

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports Reader
2/18/09 7:16 a.m.

Hmmm............There's a chance I have those issues. I'll have to check when I get home.

I've always been a bigger fan of the Midget than the B.

I started thinking about it last night because I saw a pretty good looking Midget for sale in the area. I'm busy this evening but I'll probably go look at it tomorrow evening.

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports Reader
2/18/09 7:22 a.m.

Can anybody give me some general dimensions of the Miata engine?

I'm going to take some quick measurements of the MG engine bay when I go look at it tomorrow.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill HalfDork
2/18/09 7:27 a.m.

Go to Britishcarforum and nose around in the Spridgets section. If its been done, someone there has probably done it. I'm pretty sure the Toyota 16 valve has been done.

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports Reader
2/18/09 7:52 a.m.

I also have access to a free mid to late 80's Firebird with a 2.8L V6 in it. The internet says 135hp on that engine. Any thought on that conversion?

TJ
TJ Reader
2/18/09 7:59 a.m.

2.8L V6 in a midget - not an easy fit and heavy. I would try the miata engine instead.

Miata engine in an 80's firebird - would fit with lots of room left over, but not a lot of power for such a heavy car.

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports Reader
2/18/09 8:04 a.m.

Is there a good place online to find engine specs? Such as hp, torque, weight, and dimensions.

Another thing I should ad is that this would be a challenge so cost is a factor as well.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/18/09 9:29 a.m.

It's been done. A friend of mine is doing one right now actually. I know the Toyota 16 valve has been done, there's one here in town.

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports Reader
2/18/09 9:34 a.m.

Does your friend have a website about the swap?

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Reader
2/18/09 10:23 a.m.

I remember seeing a Jaguar twincam 6 in a Midget. The Miata swap has got to be easier than that.

Sultan
Sultan New Reader
2/18/09 10:46 a.m.

Check out this site http://the-mite.com/

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/18/09 10:54 a.m.
jwdmotorsports wrote: Does your friend have a website about the swap?

Not that I'm aware of. And honestly, while he has a fantastic designer's eye, he's not a mechanic. So I'd probably follow someone else's build instead.

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports Reader
2/18/09 11:12 a.m.
Sultan wrote: Check out this site http://the-mite.com/

Looks like a pretty good build site. Going to take me a little bit to go through all of it.

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports Reader
2/18/09 2:41 p.m.

I also found this page while looking around.

http://www.britishv8.org/MG/BillYoung.htm

willy19592
willy19592 New Reader
2/18/09 2:49 p.m.
jwdmotorsports wrote: I also found this page while looking around. http://www.britishv8.org/MG/BillYoung.htm

hmm I met this guy/ car in June at the 5 year spridget meet at lake of the ozarks!

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports Reader
2/18/09 2:53 p.m.

Did it seem like a pretty good swap idea or no?

oldopelguy
oldopelguy HalfDork
2/18/09 4:17 p.m.

The Miata transmission wo't fit in the Midget tunnel, so you're pretty much going to be making your own new one. The Samurai one might, if you wanted to run a Suzuki 3 or 4 cylinder.

If you want to give it a shot I'll sell you a Midget chassis ready to defile and your choice of drivetrains, Miata or Swift 16V/Samurai hybrid, cheap.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
2/18/09 4:26 p.m.

Who put a 4AG 20 valve in a Midget? He used to post on the board here. But, if you already have the Miata lined up and you don't want a Locost, then go for it.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill HalfDork
2/18/09 4:34 p.m.
oldopelguy wrote: If you want to give it a shot I'll sell you a Midget chassis ready to defile and your choice of drivetrains, Miata or Swift 16V/Samurai hybrid, cheap.

Woah. You have a Swift 16v/samurai trans for sale?

I've often thought of defiling one of my Spitfires with just such a contraption.

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports Reader
2/18/09 4:38 p.m.
oldopelguy wrote: The Miata transmission wo't fit in the Midget tunnel, so you're pretty much going to be making your own new one. The Samurai one might, if you wanted to run a Suzuki 3 or 4 cylinder. If you want to give it a shot I'll sell you a Midget chassis ready to defile and your choice of drivetrains, Miata or Swift 16V/Samurai hybrid, cheap.

Can you send me some pictures? How cheap are we talking?

If I remember right your in the Spartanburg area right?

spitfirebill
spitfirebill HalfDork
2/18/09 4:49 p.m.

I'm the one in Spartanburg. But he is nearby.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy HalfDork
2/18/09 5:25 p.m.

Pics of what I started with here

The rusty chassis is gone now, I stripped everything that would unbolt off and it's waiting to go on the new chassis. Also got a title for it in my name now ready to sign over, several new bushings and stuff for the front end, and a full set of Rostyle rims with good tires I'm tossing in. Would like to get $400 for the works.

Buy the car and I'll throw in the engine and trans described here which should have everything you need for another $300.

The Suzuki motor I have tossed a rod, so the block is junk, but the 16V head will bolt on any 4-cylinder Metro or Samurai engine with the right pistons. I'd part with the engine for $150 with the car (those heads are hard to find) and another $150 for the trans because I still have an engine to use it with on another project.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/18/09 8:41 p.m.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/reader-rides/273/

I would much rather have a Midget with the Miata engine or 4age than that V6.

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports Reader
2/19/09 7:48 a.m.
oldopelguy wrote: Pics of what I started with here The rusty chassis is gone now, I stripped everything that would unbolt off and it's waiting to go on the new chassis. Also got a title for it in my name now ready to sign over, several new bushings and stuff for the front end, and a full set of Rostyle rims with good tires I'm tossing in. Would like to get $400 for the works. Buy the car and I'll throw in the engine and trans described here which should have everything you need for another $300. The Suzuki motor I have tossed a rod, so the block is junk, but the 16V head will bolt on any 4-cylinder Metro or Samurai engine with the right pistons. I'd part with the engine for $150 with the car (those heads are hard to find) and another $150 for the trans because I still have an engine to use it with on another project.

There's a Midget local here that's looks to be about the same condition for the same money that I'm going to look at this afternoon. I'm going to look at that before making up my mind on yours.

If I just wanted the Miata engine and transmission what would you sell them for?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1wzBiJemalFBTB4LMvTBnvuKCEt6wgdqtJatKOfgHUgQLmU4F9P3MxxrKf7yiT7h