AWSX1686 New Reader
Oct. 3, 2015 9:46 p.m.

Hello, I am currently in the process of putting a new (used) engine into my 97 miata. I am using a stock 1.8l miata engine, but I plan to turbo it fairly soon, so I want an upgraded clutch. I am also trying to keep costs down, so I went to eBay. This is the one I am looking at right now: Stage 2 eBay Clutch

Has anyone used this brand, or does anyone have a better suggestion for a similar price?

AWSX1686 New Reader
Oct. 3, 2015 10:02 p.m.

This one also seems similar, but I'm a little leery of eBay/China clutches.

Mr_Clutch42 SuperDork
Oct. 3, 2015 10:54 p.m.

The odds of it being as good as the quality name brand clutch kits is not very likely, especially since a flywheel is included. You could do it as a guinea pig for the rest of us and report how average or poor it is.

Rustspecs13 Reader
Oct. 3, 2015 11:21 p.m.

I've had a few XTD clutches. Got one with a turbo Z31 300zx and it was fine. It was a stage 3 6 puck, well they all were. I bought one from a junkyard for $25 because why not.....and ended up using it. Girlfriend bought one to get her FC back on the road. Her turbo 2 swap will get a nice ACT clutch though, but that comes later.

Its a miata, an exedy or something from flyin miata can't be that bad price wise.

Swank Force One MegaDork
Oct. 4, 2015 9:49 a.m.

There hasnt been good feedback on those. General rule of thumb: if it doesn't have a torque holding capacity rating, it probably sucks.

There's a reason why such a huge percentage of boosted Miatas use the FM clutches.

AWSX1686 New Reader
Oct. 4, 2015 10:54 a.m.

So exedy is a good brand? I found this one on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001B5KJWW/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?qid=1443973828&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=97+Miata+exedy+clutch&dpPl=1&dpID=51SYqJ0ndOL&ref=plSrch

How much power can a stock clutch hold? I found an OEM Sachs clutch on rock auto for pretty cheap too.

chiodos HalfDork
Oct. 4, 2015 11:21 a.m.

I mixed and matched to make a 200ft lb capable clutch for my old Miata. Stock exedy disk, "upgraded" pressure plate which was just one from a b2200/rx7 and a chromolly flywheel but the flywheel doesn't matter. It engaged like stock and was maybe only 2lbs heavier in throw weight (you MIGHT notice but Sally the new Miata driver wouldn't) was a great setup and held well. Bought it all on eBay too.

Harvey Dork
Oct. 4, 2015 2:27 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: There hasnt been good feedback on those. General rule of thumb: if it doesn't have a torque holding capacity rating, it probably sucks. There's a reason why such a huge percentage of boosted Miatas use the FM clutches.

I second the FM clutch recommendation. I have lots of friends that have bought these cheap clutches and they end up having to swap them out pretty quickly with any hard use. YMMV

Swank Force One MegaDork
Oct. 4, 2015 3:05 p.m.
AWSX1686 wrote: So exedy is a good brand? I found this one on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001B5KJWW/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?qid=1443973828&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=97+Miata+exedy+clutch&dpPl=1&dpID=51SYqJ0ndOL&ref=plSrch How much power can a stock clutch hold? I found an OEM Sachs clutch on rock auto for pretty cheap too.

Exedy is a good brand... no idea what that one you linked holds, though.

Stock clutch will not hold boost.

AWSX1686 New Reader
Oct. 4, 2015 9:10 p.m.

Looks like I'll probably do an FM stage 1 clutch. Probably going to skip the lightened fly wheel though.

Thanks for the input everyone.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

MX-5 Cup Racing: Live on Your Screen This Friday and Saturday

1 day ago in News

Catch all the action of the Global MX-5 Cup race at Road America live this weekend.

How to Run Compressed Air at Home

1 day ago in Articles

A guide for installing an air compressor and air tools in your home garage.

2017 Volkswagen Golf SportWagen TSI 4Motion

1 day ago in New Car Reviews

Say hello to the Volkswagen Golf SportWagen TSI S with 4Motion. It comes with a turbocharged 1.8-liter engine that is ...

You Need This: $1600 Street Racer Ford Festiva

1 day ago in News

It already has a GRM sticker and everything.

Get Your Subscription Combo Deals!

1 day ago in News

Get both our magazines for the price of one!

Your Projects: smokindav’s VW GTI Project

1 day ago in News

Love a good MK5 GTI? You might enjoy this build thread.

Wing It: Simple Talk on the Complex Subject of Aerodynamics

2 days ago in Articles

Whether sleek, boxy or somewhere in between, all cars interact with the air while racing down the track.

2018 Acura TLX V6 A-Spec

2 days ago in New Car Reviews

Acura is introducing something new for the 2018 model year: the Acura TLX V6 A-Spec. It's the highest trim level ...

You Need This: 1989 Suzuki Swift GTi

2 days ago in News

For sale: one of Suzuki's under-appreciated hot hatches.

Buyer's Guide: Chevy Cobalt SS

2 days ago in Articles

All the information you'll need on GM’s entry in the sport compact wars.

Wednesday Night GRM Live: Are You Using the Right Chemicals for the Job?

3 days ago in News

What do all these cans even do!?!?

Project SVT Focus Gets Caught Up on Maintenance

3 days ago in Project Cars

Once again, some off-road action sent our project focus under the knife.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
b2Uth57nZcYZ9Run2PA2jD5EtY1Oo5R9