2.0dohc New Reader
Oct. 5, 2009 6:06 p.m.

For a second I almost left the title miata speedo...... but that would have been a mistake around here

So this saturday installed my brand new speedo cable in my 94 m car. And sunday night it quite working.....because the egr piping touched it and melted mostly in half.

So 80 bucks down the drain, any one have a cheaper way to have an operational speedo in the car or do I just suck it up and buy another one?

Keith SuperDork
Oct. 5, 2009 6:15 p.m.

Tape a cheap GPS to the steering wheel? Some vintage Land Rover guys have used bicycle speedometers, but vintage Land Rovers also operate in a similar speed range.

Or install the factory part so that it doesn't touch the EGR It's working in a half-million other Miatas without too much problem. I don't recall details, but there probably clips to guide it around potential problem spots like this.

Pseudosport New Reader
Oct. 5, 2009 7:07 p.m.

In my Miata I used my gf's GPS to tell me how fast I was going for the past year till she wanted it back and I actually had to fix the car. Also if you do borrow your gf's GPS make sure you clear the max mph.

2.0dohc New Reader
Oct. 5, 2009 8:14 p.m.
Keith wrote: Or install the factory part so that it doesn't touch the EGR It's working in a half-million other Miatas without too much problem. I don't recall details, but there probably clips to guide it around potential problem spots like this.

did I forget to mention that I did this the day I got back from having PRK(lasic) surgery done?

I have thought about going the GPS route, and have looked at the speedo setups for the enduro bikes also

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

From the GRM Vault: Meet the Great Kimini

31 minutes ago in Articles

British charm meets Japanese spunk.

Grassroots Motorsports LIVE! on Wednesday, August 23: Building a Homemade Sim Rig

43 minutes ago in News

We’re taking our sim-racing game to another level.

Hang With Us at Gridlife This Weekend

4 hours ago in News

What’s #GRIDLIFE? The festival describes itself simply: Where speed meets sound.

2017 Chevrolet Camaro Convertible 1LS

6 hours ago in New Car Reviews

275 horsepower and 295 lb-ft. of torque. Back in the day, that was pretty good for a V8-powered pony car. ...

Your Projects: New Wheels for Gimp’s Camaro

6 hours ago in News

Dogs shown for scale.

Bid on a New Helmet and Save Some Puppies and Kittens!

7 hours ago in News

Four helmets will be auctioned off.

You Need This: E39-Chassis BMW M5 for $6000?

1 day ago in News

Buy one of our favorite Q-ships.

That's What i Like: What Attracts Us to Specific Cars?

1 day ago in Articles

I just spent 10 days in one of my new favorite cars: the 2017 VW GTE.

Your Projects: Wide-Body, V8-Powered Porsche 944

2 days ago in News

Wing, flares, V8 swap and more!

You Need This: Eclipse!

2 days ago in News

Today's special.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
Lqkij9W0o1CbvYFnmEO8LJQ3NgXF9kGL