miataman86
miataman86 New Reader
11/15/11 6:19 p.m.

I ordered a stainless steel clutch line for my 91 Miata and I am curious as to how to go about bleeding the clutch so i can install the stainless steel line. I've read that it wil improve the feel of the clutch pedal quite a bit and I seriously doubt the clutch has ever had the fluid changed....eeep! IThe clutch is stock with 136,000 on it. I plan on upgrading the 1.6 tranny to a 1.8 tranny soon along with an ACT clutch. I'm sure bleeding the clutch of the old fluid and putting in new fluid, along with the clutch line would be of some help to the clutch, right?

mw
mw HalfDork
11/15/11 7:41 p.m.

Why the switch to a 1.8 tranny? Unless it's a 6 speed, I thought all 5 speed trannies were the same.

miataman86
miataman86 New Reader
11/18/11 5:16 p.m.

Well, the tranny thats in the 1.8 is a little bit beefier on the internals. The early 1.6 trannies have a little problem arise in them where the 5th-R rod pops out of place. Not all of the early 1.6 trannies have the problem, but some. The 6 speed wouldnt be the best option to go with seeing as the gearing in the final drive ratio is different and on a track, the first 3 are mainly used. The 5 speed is definitely the better way to go. The syncros in the 1.8 trannies are a little more beefed up as well as a few other parts. I wanna bleed the clutch soon as I can feel a bit of mushyness in the pedal and i got a feeling that it might be air. The clutch doesnt slip at all or any of the sort of things that would cause it to be in dire need of replacement.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/18/11 6:33 p.m.

The NB boxes have the beefed up sychros. The NA 1.8 boxes don't.

Bleeding the clutch hydraulics will help the clutch disengage, but it won't help a worn, slipping clutch hold more power. Bleeding is pretty easy - the bleed screw is on the slave cylinder.

I would reconsider that ACT clutch unless you have forced induction. They're heavier, which means more load on the thrust bearing and the hydraulics. They've also got a bit of an "over center" feel to them that I don't particularly care for. You'll find your slave cylinder will feel some pain from the higher forces.

miataman86
miataman86 New Reader
11/20/11 5:01 p.m.

The clutch doesnt slip any, but i wanna get it replaced before I get the car on the track come Spring. I'm not going to run any forced induction as I am going to go for racing in the NASA Spec Miata class. I'll probably change my mind on the clutch type, but probably stick with ACT. I plan on replacing the slave cylinder when I get the 1.8 NB tranny and clutch installed. The clutch hydraulic fluid is the only fluid that hasnt been changed out yet.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fZSKB8kZlDnzT45jcBk2Vp1Y1gENPh5votU5OgtmjGG1dzrt6kamOmejjxEZDrl4