AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS
1/13/18 4:18 p.m.

Well after years of starting, stopping selling and trying thinkzing about various kits, projects,etc., I've finally settled on a Monster Miata build.  I am acquiring parts now and just got a good laguna blue 94.  I pick up a 306 with afr 165s on it from a Fox Mustang tomorrow.

The Miata is in good condition.  I'd really love to enjoy it in stock form the next 12-18  months while I acquire parts for swap.  I plan to add a hardcore roll bar new top and add sticky tires.  I'd like to do some autoX and HPDEs as time allows.  The car also needs a new top.  

The issue is the stock shocks are blown!  I need shocks bad.  I want to do something now.  I want something I can use now and after the V8 swap.  

FM v max?  Buy Bilsteins use now and have fat cat revalve and supply springs after swap?  V8 roadsters has coils Vera now?  Goodwin race konis and add ground control springs later?  

Id like to just do shocks and stay "stock" for autoX but I don't really care about class or winning.  I'm just in it all for fun.  So I really want to do it once and work for the V8 swap.  I'm not interested in doing the suspension twice.

Advice please?  

Oh and I have a free Miata projects K. T. Book for anyone that will pay shipping.  I got a full set of books and enthusiast manuals with the laguna blue and now have two Tanner books.

Rodan
Rodan Reader
1/13/18 5:01 p.m.

It really depends on your budget.

If you want to do it once and be done:  FM Fox or 949 Xida.

I'm also contemplating a Ford swap, and IIRC, you end up with closer to stock Miata ride height to retain ground clearance, so keep that in mind.  I know 949 has an application specifically for higher than typical track ride heights, and I'm sure Keith can set you up with something similar.

If you're like me (it took 5 years to get around to spending the $$ on top suspension), you should take a hard look at the VMaxx from FM.  It works really well for a 'budget' choice, and IMHO is better than most of the $1k adjustable coilovers out there from the usual suspects, because FM worked to develop the damping and spring rates specifically for the Miata.

You can always resell the VMaxx if you upgrade down the road.  I'm putting mine in my other Miata... 

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
1/13/18 9:29 p.m.
AnthonyGS said:

Well after years of starting, stopping selling and trying thinkzing about various kits, projects,etc., I've finally settled on a Monster Miata build.  I am acquiring parts now and just got a good laguna blue 94.  I pick up a 306 with afr 165s on it from a Fox Mustang tomorrow.

The Miata is in good condition.  I'd really love to enjoy it in stock form the next 12-18  months while I acquire parts for swap.  I plan to add a hardcore roll bar new top and add sticky tires.  I'd like to do some autoX and HPDEs as time allows.  The car also needs a new top.  

The issue is the stock shocks are blown!  I need shocks bad.  I want to do something now.  I want something I can use now and after the V8 swap.  

FM v max?  Buy Bilsteins use now and have fat cat revalve and supply springs after swap?  V8 roadsters has coils Vera now?  Goodwin race konis and add ground control springs later?  

Id like to just do shocks and stay "stock" for autoX but I don't really care about class or winning.  I'm just in it all for fun.  So I really want to do it once and work for the V8 swap.  I'm not interested in doing the suspension twice.

Advice please?  

Oh and I have a free Miata projects K. T. Book for anyone that will pay shipping.  I got a full set of books and enthusiast manuals with the laguna blue and now have two Tanner books.

I autocrossed for a year on 14" daisy wheels with star spec tires on stock shocks, however I did the front sway and an alignment.

You can pick up used bilsteins or other stock suspension super cheap, the Vmaxx are great but if you just need new shocks, getnew shocks, OEM ones are probably dirt cheap

Of course it was way more fun with 15x9s and FCM coil overs, seat, rollbar for safety etc

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
1/13/18 11:07 p.m.

Tokiko blues and b&g lowering spring completely assembled? Make you a helluva deal.....

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
1/14/18 12:14 a.m.
Rodan said:

It really depends on your budget.

If you want to do it once and be done:  FM Fox or 949 Xida.

I have Koni sport with ground control with 550F and 375R (racing beat adjustable from sway, no rear) and am fairly happy with it as a cheap option. If you want one and done and have the money, most of the great miatas that run around me are running the Xidas and they work VERY well.  I have no experience with the Fox setup from FM.

If you want a middle ground with a bit more coin, then go koni yellow RACE valve on the front and sport on the rear. You can then run something more like 700F and 400-450R (the yellow sports are at their limit at 550F).

Rear tophats will be a thing to allow bump travel so you can run lower.  IIRC, the ones I have (that are the budget option) are ISC racing and I have no complaints outside of redrilling for koni and having to play with hardware to space it right. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/14/18 12:47 a.m.

If you want something that will do the trick for now and may suit you for a long time, pick up a set of V-Maxx XXtremes. Get them with the Sport springs for now, then change to the Track springs when you go V8. You may outgrow these, you may not. Depends on your budget and your intended use.

Or, if you only want to do it once, get the Fox. More expensive, but great shocks. That's what I run on both my street car and my LS3-powered track beastie.

M16ta
M16ta New Reader
1/14/18 8:42 a.m.

If interested, I have Koni race fronts, Koni sport rears, and Ground Control sleeves that will be coming off my Miata.  You would just need springs and upper shock mounts, but you could at least pick the spring rates you want and could also add FM rear upper mounts.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS New Reader
1/16/18 2:38 p.m.

Well it looks like Fox or Xida will be in my near future....  amazing considering I bought the car for just a tad more.  It seems better to spend the money up front rather than doing things two or three times.

Rodan
Rodan Reader
1/16/18 2:43 p.m.

You won't be disappointed with either... yes

calteg
calteg Dork
1/16/18 2:47 p.m.

Buy once, cry once. Fox or Xida. I'm on my fifth iteration of my DIY suspension, but I'd be much farther ahead (in both time and miles) had I just bought a top tier suspension to start with.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/16/18 3:59 p.m.
AnthonyGS said:

Well it looks like Fox or Xida will be in my near future....  amazing considering I bought the car for just a tad more.  It seems better to spend the money up front rather than doing things two or three times.

It's always, ALWAYS cheaper to just buy the good stuff the first time around.

Our Preferred Partners
dhXKg4kkF8dgadZ7C9vfiKDa9N5vcy78