miataman86
miataman86 Reader
4/4/12 5:01 p.m.

I am going to be putting an order for the Eibach sway bar kit in tomorrow, hurray discounts, but I was thinking as to what the best setup would be for the street. I would like a more aggresive setup if possible. The front bar has 3 holes for adjustments and the rear has 2 holes as well. What would be the best setup for this arrangement? I'd like more of an Autocross setup if possible. I'm going to look into the adjustable end links as well to fully obtain the adustable setup.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/4/12 5:04 p.m.

If they were FM bars, they'd come with a starting recommendation For Brand X, it's hard to say for sure because they might have different geometry.

Generally speaking, autocrossers like a more understeery setup to compensate for the low gears and constant state of transition. So I'd go with lots of front, not much rear.

Adjustable end links will allow you to avoid preload in the bar, but not much else.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UltraDork
4/4/12 5:12 p.m.

i like lots of oversteer so i can make tight little corners at slower speeds.

I went extra tight in the back, and loose on the front. it's a matter of taste. don't be scared.

miataman86
miataman86 Reader
4/4/12 5:13 p.m.

I'm glad you responded to this Keith. I read in the Miata project book that you wrote years ago, that sway bars are the best bang for your buck modification that can really be done to a Miata. I'm going with the Eibach sway bars because I can get them for a 10% discount through a team that supports me and they are the sway bars that are approved for Spec Miata. Currently in the building of the said SM and its nice to get some feedback on things. So...lots of front with not much rear. Hard up front and Soft in the rear?

Keith
4/4/12 6:20 p.m.

If you're building a Spec Miata, get David Wheeler's build guide. Lots of specific Spec Miata info in there. Specs have high front spring rates relative to the rear, so you'll want a stiffer rear bar setting than you would with a more balanced spring set.

belteshazzar, I tend to set cars up a bit loose as well. But the fastest autox guys tend to value traction on corner exit fairly strongly, so they'll set the car up for that and then just toss it in to get the back free.

miataman86
miataman86 Reader
4/4/12 6:30 p.m.

Thanks on the link for the SM build guide. The Miata in build still has the stock springs. The SM runs 700 lb up front with 325 lb in the rear, way to stiff for the DD.

Keith
4/4/12 6:34 p.m.

Generally, I like to go for about a 3:2 front:rear spring ratio on a Miata. I don't know why the Spec cars have a ratio that's higher than 2:1. You can make it work, but I'll bet there are a lot of people who would love to change it...

miataman86
miataman86 Reader
4/4/12 6:44 p.m.

I would like to see the ratio change myself. The ratios work, yeah, but I'm certain there are better ratios to run on track to make the car behave better. Gotta love regulations....

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
p6YYFOyA0s5yh7jqV4GtLpdjodzQB0wNvFmCJwiHeY5C9OQHtyQnNdu78aAqXitR