thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/17/19 12:12 p.m.

Hi all. My new-to-miata's timing belt is of unknown mileage and like 6 years old. So I need to change it. Does anyone in or around Portland OR have the tools needed that I can borrow/rent? I'm planning to get that all done in the next couple of weeks so I can be ready for the next autocross season.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/17/19 1:16 p.m.

Having just done this I didn't even use the main tool.  I used the Ninja tool but while it made it easier it was nbd. Having said that we just timed a complete Ford SOHC V6 by noting the cam positions in stills from YouTube.  After that I think any timing belt/chain is easy. 

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
1/17/19 2:54 p.m.

I have the tools, I can ship them up to you if you want. Should be pretty cheap. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/17/19 3:27 p.m.

Heck, we'll ship them to you for free although you do have to buy the tools wink

None of them are absolutely required. The closest to that is the crank holding tool. The Ninja tool makes life easier, as do the seal installers. But they're all tools we invented to make our jobs easier, not to make them possible in the first place.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
1/17/19 8:00 p.m.

I dont even know what Miata timing belt tools are, and I did one a few months ago. 

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
1/17/19 9:04 p.m.

I plan on ordering the tools from Flyin Miata when I order all my other stuff.  My timing belt only has 7000 miles on it but is close to 8 years old.

When I pull the valve cover off on Saturday night I'll inspect the belt and replace it if needed

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
1/17/19 11:18 p.m.

I mailed my Ninja tool to one of you last year and haven’t gotten it back yet.......

thatsnowinnebago
1/18/19 10:51 a.m.
KyAllroad (Jeremy) said:

I mailed my Ninja tool to one of you last year and haven’t gotten it back yet.......

thatsnowinnebago
1/18/19 10:52 a.m.
cmcgregor said:

I have the tools, I can ship them up to you if you want. Should be pretty cheap. 

Sweet, thanks! I'll shoot you a PM when I start ordering parts. I've done the job before without the tools but it seems so much easier with 'em.

_
_ Reader
1/18/19 10:55 a.m.

You need the cam holding tools? If so, I think the general consensus is to use two adjustable wrenches that are intersecting when attached to the camshaft and then a set of vice grips lock them in place at the intersection. There’s pics on google with it. 

Keith Tanner
1/18/19 11:21 a.m.

Hell, you don't even need to do that. Just use one wrench to hold the intake cam in place when you put the belt on. Honestly, that's all I've ever done. I also don't count teeth or do any of the other stuff that the internets tell me to do, I just complete the procedure as Mazda intended and it's all very quick and easy with no questions about alignment.

But putting together a couple of wrenches with zipties or vise grips is easier for some people. It's a little jury-rigged but it gets the job done unless it slips.

And you know what's easier yet? Using a tool that's specifically designed to do the job.

So it's all a matter of how much effort you want to put in versus using proper tools.

ShinnyGroove
ShinnyGroove New Reader
1/18/19 12:32 p.m.

If you have a 3d printer or know someone who does, you can get most of the tools off of Thingiverse.

Keith Tanner
1/18/19 1:12 p.m.

There's no way a 3D printed crank holding tool would be strong enough unless you print in metal. FYI.

thatsnowinnebago
2/27/19 12:41 p.m.
thatsnowinnebago said:
cmcgregor said:

Sweet, thanks! I'll shoot you a PM when I start ordering parts. I've done the job before without the tools but it seems so much easier with 'em.

Just sent that PM.

Is there a particularly good write up on replacing the timing belt? I get the general idea but it's nice to do your homework first. I have seen some tips like dropping the swaybar and taking the radiator out to make the job easier. I'll be replacing the radiator at the same time so that'll take care of itself. 

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/27/19 1:51 p.m.

I have a short-nose crank seal installation tool if anyone wants it.  I didn't realize any other tools were necessary and I did the TB twice.  Once and then again with the seal tool after it leaked the first time.  

Keith Tanner
3/1/19 9:21 a.m.
thatsnowinnebago said:
thatsnowinnebago said:
cmcgregor said:

Just sent that PM.

Is there a particularly good write up on replacing the timing belt? I get the general idea but it's nice to do your homework first. I have seen some tips like dropping the swaybar and taking the radiator out to make the job easier. I'll be replacing the radiator at the same time so that'll take care of itself. 

Some guy wrote a book.

Definitely pull the radiator.

thatsnowinnebago
3/1/19 11:18 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Fine Keith, you win. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yCRFk47mTn2K6P4XKmpqGk8KH88Wusr7G5bKbnFYdZhXAH2m4SkgADNQKSSzpMbh