Capt Slow
Capt Slow Dork
3/8/11 5:44 p.m.

This is a stupid question that I probably already know the answer to but I just wanted to check in with the hive mind before I plunked down some cash.

I have a NA miata with a nearly dead top.

I acquired a NB top frame that I intend to retrofit onto the NA. I need to order a new fabric top for the frame. I am planning on ordering a top for an NB since I have an NB frame. Is this correct?

Will the NB rain rail work in an NA?

Thanks

Type Q
Type Q HalfDork
3/8/11 7:10 p.m.

I think the answer is yes, but we should wait for Keith or someone like to confirm.

If you are putting NB top on the car, we can threaten protest you for update/backdate rules violation if you entered in STS with it.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/8/11 7:16 p.m.

You should, they're lighter!

Yup, use all NB parts on the NB frame. It's a nice upgrade.

unevolved
unevolved Dork
3/8/11 11:38 p.m.

Yep, just did this exact swap a week or two ago. Went from this:

to this:

Glass window FTMFW.

Capt Slow
Capt Slow Dork
3/9/11 12:11 a.m.

I could see where you would want too. I know my super trick stock suspension and FM sway bar setup proved pretty dominant sunday

That being said if I decided to run it in sts you wouldn't have to wait for me to install my top to protest me. My car has a torsen so it is not sts legal.

Type Q
Type Q HalfDork
3/9/11 10:55 a.m.
Capt Slow wrote: I could see where you would want too. I know my super trick stock suspension and FM sway bar setup proved pretty dominant sunday That being said if I decided to run it in sts you wouldn't have to wait for me to install my top to protest me. My car has a torsen so it is not sts legal.

If you told me about the Torsen, I forgot about it. As for my times at last Sundays autox, that was all me. My driving sucked.

Capt Slow
Capt Slow Dork
3/9/11 12:33 p.m.
TypeQ said: ...My driving sucked.

Yea everyone has days like that. That course was not an easy one to string together.

I had a really hard time driving the first 3 corners smoothly. Andre figured out that we could wait to shift into second until well after the 2nd corner, but when doing that I would tend to mash on the gas and get loose.

Andre had a hard time with the bumpy offsets through the middle of the course, I felt like I busted those out pretty well. Going up the hill 3 out of four times I think I tracked out too far at the start and ended up in the gravel which made that corner difficult to get anywhere near the apex.

The finish was glorious though I love the way the course ended with the fast slalom into the tight kink just after the timing lights. That was fun.

Another thing that I think benefited us was the insane rate they were cycling cars through the two driver line. We had the Kumo XS's off the MR2 on the Miata and they should have been squirley and lame in the damp cool conditions but after the first two runs they were great!

Capt Slow
Capt Slow Dork
7/25/11 2:13 p.m.

I have to be the worlds biggest procrastinator. I have finally started working on the top

After drilling out the rivets holding to top to the frame I started looking at them. I have two different sizes of pop rivets at home and neither one of them looks right. Does anyone know what the correct size rivets are?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/25/11 3:22 p.m.
Keith wrote: You should, they're lighter!

An even lighter option is to remove it altogether!

Photobucket

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/25/11 3:43 p.m.

Yes, but that tends to be less waterproof

Captain, memory tells me it's a 5mm rivet. Just drill the hole to the one you have that's a bit bigger and you should be fine.

Capt Slow
Capt Slow Dork
7/25/11 5:32 p.m.

got it! Thanks guys!

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/26/11 12:25 p.m.

Anybody have the part number for the cables that run inside the top? I didn't have any luck finding it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8Xtcv3Vk2E4a273LnmmZmPgz3p2cF3K8IQdySxmGB494uwPzoDmvQGwxVyYNTYnD