1 2
CLynn85
CLynn85 Reader
1/31/12 9:32 p.m.

So I just went and bought something that I could stretch out comfortably in that already had an LS6 in it! (Actually bought it back in November but was waiting a couple months to get a feel for it)

She's not perfect, needs bushings, clutch has some chatter but not slipping (slave/throwout going bad?), and has 112k, but man it's fun, and it's a hell of a lot of car for Ford Fiesta money! Also came with full Corsa stainless exhaust already installed.

Every fiber of my body wants to mod it, but it feels so right just as it is that I'm just going to knock out a bunch of maintenance and see where it goes from there.

Will
Will Dork
1/31/12 9:55 p.m.

I had an 05, and with the Corsa exhaust, it sounded like God yelling...just an unbelievable sound. I made some basic mods, but there's really nothing the car needs. Get some good brake pads (I used Hawk HP+) and tires and enjoy the hell out of it.

Sultan
Sultan Reader
1/31/12 9:55 p.m.

Very full of awesomeness!!!!

RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
1/31/12 9:58 p.m.

Strike_Zero also got a CTS-V this week! He posted a link in the thread for streetable motor mount and bushing solutions from a company called Creative Steel.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/so-uh-yea/44873/page1/

https://creative-steel.com/store/index.php?l=product_list&c=2

ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
1/31/12 10:23 p.m.

Kudos for not buying a Caddy in black.

Had to run to YouTube to find what your exhaust sounds like... Mother of God, it's mean!

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
1/31/12 10:24 p.m.

Very envious!

JFX001
JFX001 SuperDork
1/31/12 10:54 p.m.

Pure sweetness.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/31/12 11:12 p.m.

if I bought a modern caddy in black.. I would have to tint the reverse lights. Not only are they huge, but on a black car they really stand out

bluesideup
bluesideup Reader
2/1/12 12:04 a.m.

I really like that color, they didn't make that with black interior did they?

So after a few months of driving you still like it? I've only looked at a ragged out example and it was kind of torn up.

CLynn85
CLynn85 Reader
2/1/12 6:10 a.m.

Thanks for the compliments. It really is easy to see why it was a $50k car when new. After I fix some of the 7 year old GM quirks, I'll be pleased as pie.

Will wrote: I had an 05, and with the Corsa exhaust, it sounded like God yelling...just an unbelievable sound. I made some basic mods, but there's really nothing the car needs. Get some good brake pads (I used Hawk HP+) and tires and enjoy the hell out of it.

My thoughts exactly. Glad to hear it from another owner.

ValuePack wrote: Kudos for not buying a Caddy in black. Had to run to YouTube to find what your exhaust sounds like... Mother of God, it's mean!

I really like black Cadillacs, but the black on the CTS just doesn't do it for me. I have considered matte black vinyl wrap and black wheels though....

mad_machine wrote: if I bought a modern caddy in black.. I would have to tint the reverse lights. Not only are they huge, but on a black car they really stand out

Wow, I never really noticed how big those are.... thanks for pointing it out! Another thing to mess with! lol

bluesideup wrote: I really like that color, they didn't make that with black interior did they? So after a few months of driving you still like it? I've only looked at a ragged out example and it was kind of torn up.

The "Redline" color is my fav on these, and they only made a small percentage of them in that color. I don't think black int was avail with it though, but I'm diggin the gray.

And after a few months of driving it I love it even more than when I bought it. I've finally gotten over the fact that I kind of went nutty when I bought it since it was double the $7500 price cap I originally set for a new DD, but after having a couple of less than desirable DD's, it's a treat in the morning to go outside and fire it up.

Conquest351
Conquest351 Dork
2/1/12 8:09 a.m.

What are people doing about the rear end problems on these cars? When I was seriously looking at getting rid of the P71, I was looking at these and was told to steer clear by quite a few friends because of the rear ends. I was told, "You and that rear end wouldn't get along well". Apparently I'm hard on cars.

dculberson
dculberson HalfDork
2/1/12 9:55 a.m.

$15k for a car that awesome is a steal. Congrats!!

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy HalfDork
2/1/12 12:28 p.m.

hehehehehe....

I remember a day when Cadillac and fun just didn't go together..........

I'm getting olde

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero Dork
2/1/12 7:13 p.m.

The bite of the CTS-V bug is one helluva bite!!

AWESOME score!! I'm enjoying the hell outta mine . . . (so is the gas station )

In reply to Conquest351:

I was on the fence about the diff as well. But there are options out there. As long as you don't wheel hop, it should last. GM "cured" the wheel hop issue with using two different sized axles after trying several differential versions. The aftermarket has has some for ~$500. But since I don't try to be the next Cruz Pedregon, I'm not worried about it.

CLynn85 wrote: . . . but man it's fun, and it's a hell of a lot of car for Ford Fiesta money! Also came with full Corsa stainless exhaust already installed. Every fiber of my body wants to mod it, but it feels so right just as it is that I'm just going to knock out a bunch of maintenance and see where it goes from there.

Winner winner chicken dinner!!

Taiden
Taiden SuperDork
2/1/12 8:06 p.m.

I love it!

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/1/12 8:54 p.m.

Damn you all and your CTS-V purchases!! I sold my M5 today and need to buy a replacement. This isn't helping.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero Dork
2/1/12 9:21 p.m.

You know you want one

Go drive one

You know you want one

The subliminal was brought to you by the letters C, T, S and V

pimpm3
pimpm3 Reader
2/2/12 8:00 p.m.

I actually almost bought an 05 that same color at the auction this morning. It had a little hail damage (Minor) so I passed. It was my first oppertunity to drive one and I must say I was very impressed with my brief drive.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/2/12 8:06 p.m.

I just missed a very nice looking 2005 silver car at a nearby dealership. 79k miles, 1 owner trade in, $17k. Boo.

EricM
EricM SuperDork
2/2/12 8:54 p.m.

Cadillac, the new hotrod.

You are going to mod it, I can feel that in the air.

calteg
calteg Reader
2/2/12 10:58 p.m.

I ended up going with UUC motor mounts in mine. Double check and see if you have the stock (fluid filled) GM pieces in there. If you do, they're good for 15k miles, tops

pimpm3
pimpm3 Reader
2/3/12 1:01 a.m.

17k? I guess I should have bought the 05 this morning minor hail damage and all. I would have had $12,700 plus fees in it with 74k miles. Dang :(

CLynn85
CLynn85 Reader
2/3/12 5:14 a.m.

Mine was a bit over 15k and almost 17k out the door, they had it stickered for 18.5, yeah right......

calteg wrote: I ended up going with UUC motor mounts in mine. Double check and see if you have the stock (fluid filled) GM pieces in there. If you do, they're good for 15k miles, tops

They're the stockers but it looks like they've been replaced with new stockers at some point. Either way, they're definitely shot. I plan to pick up a set of the good ones from Lindsay Cadillac when I order my LS7 clutch kit and new radio buttons . Just need to finish installing that lift.....

CLynn85
CLynn85 Reader
2/3/12 5:16 a.m.
Conquest351 wrote: What are people doing about the rear end problems on these cars? When I was seriously looking at getting rid of the P71, I was looking at these and was told to steer clear by quite a few friends because of the rear ends. I was told, "You and that rear end wouldn't get along well". Apparently I'm hard on cars.

I read all the horror stories about the rears, but after talking to a friend that just sold an 05 to upgrade to a C6, and my neighbor down the street that used to be the lead tech at the local Caddy dealer, both of them said not to worry as long as I'm not on drag radials and/or doing huge clutch drops. Just keep the fluid fresh.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero Dork
2/3/12 7:25 a.m.

In reply to CLynn85:

Stay off my to-do list

Luckily the radio buttons on mine are semi ok . . . The pinion seal on mine hasn't been done under the recall. At least I get one freebie off this car

I'm going to tackle all of the problem areas (mounts, clutch kit, ditch the dual mass flywheel, and 100K service) to make sure that I can get in, turn the key and drive

NO MODS!! (Ok maybe exhaust . . . .and maybe a tune to turn the fans on earlier (I'm not used to fans coming on at 226* ))

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZifzLPxAdZ1GVpUcIKAjpn0sp5qGcbWKHNXVTXiJ7uSAWUTTV3ZRSv1SbT5pStmR