CyberEric
CyberEric New Reader
10/3/13 12:33 p.m.

Hi all, I tried plugging in a new stereo deck and the interior fuse seems to have blown. Overhead light went out, door chime doesn't work (which I actually love), and there is a CEL on. Was I supposed to ground the stereo? Hmmm...

Anyway, if this sounds like a blown fuse, which one is it? I don't have a code reader and Autozone and Jiffy Lube no longer do it for free in the Bay Area. Thanks!

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/3/13 12:39 p.m.

Should be able to google up a list of fuses with a legend like this, but I suspect it matters what year Miata.

Doesn't seem like tripping the interior buzzers and chimes fuse should cause a CEL... I'd have a good look at the instructions for the stereo install and make sure you haven't done something wacky like introduce a significant current sink to ground or something... (Yes, the stereo will need to be grounded, but I don't know whether that's built into the stereo/Miata harnesses; instructions are your friend; if you don't have them, virtually all manufacturers have them online by model number).

CyberEric
CyberEric New Reader
10/3/13 1:11 p.m.

In reply to ransom:

Yeah, it was a foolish move, I got a free stereo deck and I just thought I'd plug what looked like the power cable in, and then dome light and door chime stopped working, and a CEL came on next time I drove it. I suppose it's possible it was caused by something else, just seemed like too big of a coincidence. Car runs like normal. Car is a 1997 btw.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/3/13 1:12 p.m.

Read the CEL, it's trying to tell you what's wrong. If nobody will do it for free, then pay someone or buy a reader.

And check the ROOM fuse, that's probably what you're looking at.

CyberEric
CyberEric New Reader
10/3/13 1:15 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Read the CEL, it's trying to tell you what's wrong. If nobody will do it for free, then pay someone or buy a reader. And check the ROOM fuse, that's probably what you're looking at.

Yeah, sounds like its the ROOM fuse based on this thread http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=514473&highlight=interior+lights+CEL

Thanks, I will see if I can find someone in the Bay Area that has a code reader. Places are trying to charge me 60$ around here!

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/3/13 1:17 p.m.

In reply to CyberEric:

Got a smartphone? '97 is late enough for OBD2, you can get a bluetooth dongle for ~$30 and Torque for Android for free (but I think it's MORE than worth the $5 to support the guy and get the Pro version).

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/3/13 1:21 p.m.

I bought a bundle of bluetooth dongles from Amazon for $12ea last Christmas. That and a $10 gift card to the Google Play store makes a great stocking stuffer.

CyberEric
CyberEric New Reader
10/4/13 3:09 a.m.

Found a local technician to read it, mnfr code 1794. I'm thinking it's the Room fuse.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sTV1CbmGjj7KEIhjfN7l5WynncusPzZkRFbyXUTLGUgCBpWj0poDx3AYSiHy904Z