1 2
LifeIsStout
LifeIsStout GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/17/16 5:32 p.m.

So I have approximately 2500-3000 bucks to get myself a camping/forest roads vehicle. I live in Seattle, both are fairly plentiful up here but I am unsure as to which one might be best. I don't plan on doing any rock crawling, mostly just want to go out into the mountains and do some dispersed camping.

This actually will be my only vehicle, but I bus or walk to work, so I don't really care about gas mileage. Currently I don't have a vehicle at all, and the last car I had I was putting less than 5K on it a year.

I don't have a garage, but I have access to one, and my tools are there. I keep hand tools at the house.

It seems like I can find late 80s to late 90s models of both a jeep cherokee or a 4 runner. I had a grand cherokee in the past, but that was an electrical nightmare (but a bad one) and I want something a step down in size.

Manual or automatic is fine, 99% of the cars I have owned were manual.

So give me the good and the bad, what should I be looking for?

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
7/17/16 5:51 p.m.

Isuzu Trooper.
The second gen was also rebadged as the Acura SLX

Acura Sample

Trooper Sample

dropstep
dropstep Dork
7/17/16 5:54 p.m.

I liked my cherokee, loved my rodeo. Either one will do what you want pretty easy with a decent tire.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/17/16 5:58 p.m.

Montero

chiodos
chiodos Dork
7/17/16 6:09 p.m.

I had 4 xjs, a zj, and my brothers have owned two wjs, i also had a 93 4runner. The xjs were by far the best

old_
old_ Reader
7/17/16 6:10 p.m.
Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/17/16 6:41 p.m.

Either the Jeep or the 4runner will meet the stated needs. In that price range, get the best cared for 4x4 you can find that will fit all of your gear.

the Jeep will have a huge aftermarket and be capable of some technical rock crawling. The 4Runner will have a slightly smaller aftermarket and likely be more comfortable on the road but still able to take you to some fairly remote places. If you can find a 4Runner with a locking rear differential, I understand it is worth it, but it isn't a difficult conversion, either.

As others have said, you may want to look at some of the lesser-regarded brands, too. A 4x4 Explorer with the v8 will probably give you a less beaten on rig for your dollars, and word around these parts is that they're hardy buggers. Parts are cheap and plentiful.

Chevy Blazers are comparable with the Explorer.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/17/16 6:45 p.m.

I only have experience with the Jeep having adopted a 1995 example this year. All I can say is that parts are so cheap its funny and working on it involves slipping underneath and unbolting something. No ramps or jacks needed. The thing runs no matter what and rides like a...well a conestoga wagon if I'm honest. But it is solid and dependable and parts are cheap and plentiful and it's easy to work on and did I mention the price of parts?

chiodos
chiodos Dork
7/17/16 6:49 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy:

I looked at v8 explorers because they sound perfect and eventually found a thread hear saying they are hard to lift cheaply and have a fragile transfer case among other things i cant remember but turned me off of looking for one

dropstep
dropstep Dork
7/17/16 7:30 p.m.
chiodos wrote: In reply to Brett_Murphy: I looked at v8 explorers because they sound perfect and eventually found a thread hear saying they are hard to lift cheaply and have a fragile transfer case among other things i cant remember but turned me off of looking for one

If your talking v8 awd they have transfer cases made out of popsicles sticks and unicorn tears.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/17/16 7:37 p.m.

I've had my XJ for nearly a year now and absolutely love it. As Pinchvalve mentions, parts are just stupid cheap and they're very simple, easy to work on vehicles. There is something like 2 or 3 million of them out there, so whatever you need is guaranteed to be available at your local junk yard or parts store. And the aftermarket options are just endless.

Here's mine, currently in the process of getting a 3" lift install sorted out.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
7/17/16 7:48 p.m.

XJ with a roof-top tent

lnlogauge
lnlogauge Reader
7/17/16 8:02 p.m.

I question how beat up a Cherokee or 4runner will be beat up, at the 2k point. Both of those have a following, and good models still fetch a premium. I second the Montero.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
7/17/16 8:15 p.m.

In reply to lnlogauge:

I paid $900 for my first one, $2,500 for the second (Limited) and $500 for the last (another Limited).

The $500 was almost perfect but needed a windshield (free) and rear brake shoes.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
7/17/16 8:26 p.m.

I recently picked up a 3rd gen 4runner and have already camped in it twice. I'm relatively short at 5'3", but much taller and sleeping in the back would require some modification. I have looked at many forums and there are a number of solutions for sleeping in the back for the vertically enhanced. Just have to figure what gear you will be carrying and how to pack it as efficiently as possible. If you plan to pack a tent sleeping inside is a non-issue.

I ended up getting a roof mount cargo basket, and I am looking at buying or building an awning to mount off one side of that. Shovel/rake mount on the other side and maybe get a 15 gal sprayer up there converted to a camp shower. Good times.

photo 20160704_134557.jpg" />

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
7/17/16 8:28 p.m.

Then there's this (fwd to 1:37 or so if you like).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ccxy_V8hwhY

And there's the Top Gear Toyota truck episode. Not sure how "real" that one is though. I know the Cherokee video is real.

parker
parker Reader
7/17/16 9:52 p.m.

I'm 6'2" and have slept in the back of my 87 4Runner many times. With the back seats removed I fit fine.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/17/16 10:08 p.m.

Go with the best manual trans example you can find of either in your price range. Personally I'd look for a 4.0 in the Jeep and a 4-cyl in the 'Runner, but that's just me. Jeeps and 4-runners both have a huge following up here so you really can't go wrong. I had your budget and bought an '84 4-runner about a month or two ago (removable top trumps all) for $3500

There's a few of us in the area. Be sure to check out "Northwest Overland" too.

Happy Huntin!

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/17/16 10:12 p.m.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/cto/5668739402.html

$2900

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
7/18/16 6:10 a.m.

I owned an 86 Toyota truck. I'd buy another. It was stoutly built with over engineered parts everywhere. I broke my frame due to rust/beatings. Rochester ny winters are the mortons girl best friend. I welded it back together and kept beating it. Just a great truck. My friends had Cherokees and they were great as well.

I'd echo find the best taken care of example of either and go. No loser in that group. The 3.0 v6 Toyota head gasket issue should be long gone. Anything still running has been fixed by now.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/18/16 7:29 a.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: In reply to lnlogauge: I paid $900 for my first one, $2,500 for the second (Limited) and $500 for the last (another Limited). The $500 was almost perfect but needed a windshield (free) and rear brake shoes.

Mine ran me a whopping $725. Needed rust repair on the floors and brake lines in the front. I've got maybe $3k or a bit more into it now, most of which is in the lift and associated "while I'm in there" stuff.

LifeIsStout
7/18/16 10:44 a.m.

I have seen a number of about 95 and up 4 runners, all of them seem to have 'head gasket needed' or overheating issues. How bad is that job, I have never had to do one, but I am not opposed to it. Are replacement parts able to fix the job or are there other concerns (I think they look a bit nicer than the cherokees, and I will be driving a decent distance to get to the woods).

Also, I like the pricing on the trooper, but how are the parts availability on those? Anything to worry about?

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/18/16 10:53 a.m.
Furious_E wrote:
ebonyandivory wrote: In reply to lnlogauge: I paid $900 for my first one, $2,500 for the second (Limited) and $500 for the last (another Limited). The $500 was almost perfect but needed a windshield (free) and rear brake shoes.
Mine ran me a whopping $725. Needed rust repair on the floors and brake lines in the front. I've got maybe $3k or a bit more into it now, most of which is in the lift and associated "while I'm in there" stuff.

Got a rust free 88 4x4 4.0 4 door for $250 in about 2008. Needed a clutch slave cylinder. Drove it for a year or so and then my little brother drove it another. Got to the point where it was eating slave cylinders like candy, I couldn't figure it out at the time. Now I am pretty sure it was bad engine and trans mounts, but oh well.

Cheap jeeps are out there, and can be good ones too.

LifeIsStout
7/18/16 11:17 a.m.

Also, any opinions on the v-6 xterras?

java230
java230 Dork
7/18/16 11:20 a.m.

Ill vote 4runner, just because I have tried to kill a couple, one was a friend of mines (it was a 2 door 3rd gen unicorn) He went everywhere my truck locked on 36's went, his was bone stock.... Finally it ate a ring gear and that was the final straw. Never blew a HG, but the 3.0 V^ is notorious for it.

As for doing the HG's its not bad, but the heads are 99% of the time warped. I would personally stay away form the 3.0 if I had the choice.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Wq4tnhK9WU4zU9pSikr6kpXlGvTND4QVk0N0mfhYdeFgF3R8DTfyHUPLbKzppqpm