Nathan JansenvanDoorn
Nathan JansenvanDoorn Dork
1/5/19 11:08 p.m.

So... a tired, neglected and repossessed Discovery 3 came up for sale locally. Maintenance records to 110k miles, and which point the last owner and abuser took over and let his dogs live in it (judging by the smell). 

2.7 diesel runs well, sounds like it needs a new prop shaft. Dirty, but looking like a diamond in the rough. Air suspension worked, transfer case worked. Shifted well. 

The small, rational part of my brain says run. Why do I like these things? 

It’s cheap, at about 1/3rd to 1/2 the local going rate for one of these.

Thoughts? They drive very nicely, for what they are.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/6/19 8:48 a.m.

Dog smell gross! 

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/6/19 5:43 p.m.

I love em.  Buddy has one that has been fairly bulletproof and it has the gas motor.  My grandparents are possible the worst people on the planet when it comes to cars and they haven't killed their's yet.  

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
1/6/19 6:03 p.m.

Land Rover as "diamond in the rough"

Said nobody ever ;)

(I still think they're cool though)

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/7/19 8:52 a.m.

the LR3/Discovery3 is a much better animal than the Discovery2. Better suspension, better engine, better ergonomics.. but more electronics and questionable styling (that is all opinion). If you are looking at a diesel, I am assume you are not in the States, so I don't know how optioned out the LR3s are, so electronics might not be an issue.

GarageGorilla
GarageGorilla New Reader
1/7/19 9:22 a.m.

I would do it - but then Im a sucker for punishment.

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Dork
1/7/19 12:39 p.m.

I just read bearmtnmartin's thread about dealers & making enemies, so... get two keys.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
q4nv7bsrfnQGRslSS1stzN0dfAdnkQKE558AwPrNUqlwTKptieG5AeyfddJ7wkK0