1 2
dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/16/19 12:13 p.m.

I picked up a 89 944 Turbo S for way under challenge money. The interior has serious mildew issues. Looking for tips on the best way to get it cleaned up. What chemicals to use etc.  

One thing is the interior is the top of the line leather with the bolstered factory seats that other than the mildew is in great shape and I am hoping not to hurt the leather.  

How would you clean this?  

dean1484
11/16/19 12:13 p.m.

Saved for photos

A couple other shots of things. Loosely installed the nose and a couple other shots of things. Found a Griffen rad and a fuel rail that looks to be a high performance one. And then there is the motor. A lot missing but I have box's of stuff that came with it that I hope has most of what is not on the car. With the intakes on the head being stuffed with rags I am counting on the motor being good but it has sat for 7 years so I have to replace the belts before I can test it. 

Then there is this mess. Not sure what was going on here but I don't like cut wires in the main wiring harness. And it looks like the KLR is missing. I am hoping it is in one of the box's. 

so as you all can see I have my work cut out for me but it is completely rust free as it lived in the south. The paint looks to be in really good shape.  It should buff out really well.  The only body work needed will be the small dent in the back below the hatch and the rear bumper is pushed in a little on the right side. I will have to see about pulling the bumper absorbers and fixing that. 

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/16/19 6:42 p.m.

I'd remove anything you can in the interior, and take it to the car wash/ pressure wash it. Set it out in the sun for a couple of days, or inside under lights and put box fans on them.

The headliner and dash could maybe take bleach water or the mold cutter you buy at hardware stores (i.e. Is the headliner vinyl, or cloth?- cloth would be a no.)

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
11/16/19 7:42 p.m.

Concrobium Mold Control from Lowes or HD.

I've used this on cloth, vinyl, and leather interior after testing small unseen areas. Followed the directions to the letter and had no issues thus far. Ran the ozone machine after cleaning.

dean1484
11/16/19 7:59 p.m.

Tks!!!  

Anyone have any leads on Ozone machines?  Amazon?

lotusseven7
lotusseven7 Reader
11/16/19 8:46 p.m.

White vinegar in a spray bottle. Apply it liberally and overnight it will disappear. Spray it on the seats, dash, headliner and you will be amazed how well a dollars worth of vinegar gets rid of mildew. Try in a small spot first, but I’ve had great luck with it.

Just my 0.02¢

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
11/16/19 10:43 p.m.
dean1484 said:

Tks!!!  

Anyone have any leads on Ozone machines?  Amazon?

I have the max blaster pro edition and it's been great.

http://www.maxblasterusa.com/

dean1484
11/17/19 12:29 a.m.

Do you dilute the vinegar with water at all and if so what is the ratio?

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
11/17/19 1:28 a.m.

I was gonna send you to the boating section of your favorite sporting goods store until i read the thing in this thread about vinegar.  My dad is super....uh, particular about cleaning the boat upholstery each spring with boat seat cleaner because its formulated to erase the .mildew without harming upholstery. 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/17/19 7:43 a.m.
dean1484 said:

I picked up a 89 944 Turbo S for way under challenge money. The interior has serious mildew issues.

Still worth it.

Looking for tips on the best way to get it cleaned up. What chemicals to use etc.  

One thing is the interior is the top of the line leather with the bolstered factory seats that other than the mildew is in great shape and I am hoping not to hurt the leather.  

How would you clean this?  

Be very careful with the leather.  Spray Nine is my go-to cleaner for things that absolutely must be cleaned.  I found that it will remove dried blood from a white handkerchief and leave no trace.  Another thing that I found it is good at is removing dye from leather.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
11/17/19 7:52 a.m.

Multi-Quat.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/17/19 7:53 a.m.
Knurled. said :

I found that it will remove dried blood from a white handkerchief and leave no trace.  

Like CSI no trace and if so what are your methods of getting rid of the body?

Knurled.
11/17/19 7:57 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Let me tell you a story of forgetting which razor handle you have, and buying an 8 pack of the wrong blade refills, and stubbornly trying to shave by holding the refill because don't wanna buy another handle and don't wanna buy more refills.

Also, having multiple blades means multiple shaving cuts when you swipe sideways.

Stampie
11/17/19 8:03 a.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

You need a safety razor. You can get a lifetime supply of blades for like $10. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/17/19 8:49 a.m.

... or a straight razor which will help carve up the body. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
11/17/19 9:13 a.m.
dean1484 said:

Do you dilute the vinegar with water at all and if so what is the ratio?

It's only 4-5 percent acid and the rest is water...,

It's the same as you would put on fish and chips !

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/17/19 9:13 a.m.
Stampie said:
Knurled. said :

I found that it will remove dried blood from a white handkerchief and leave no trace.  

Like CSI no trace and if so what are your methods of getting rid of the body?

Pigs

Stampie
11/17/19 9:30 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

But then if you eat the pig are you a cannibal once removed?

Sorry Dean for derailing your mildew thread. 

dean1484
11/17/19 10:22 a.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to Patrick :

But then if you eat the pig are you a cannibal once removed?

Sorry Dean for derailing your mildew thread. 

No problem. I am sitting here laughing. 

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
11/17/19 10:49 a.m.

I'm interested in the front seats if you decide to sell them.  Looks like they're sport seats.

dean1484
11/17/19 10:49 a.m.

Photos added in 2nd post. 

dean1484
11/17/19 11:05 a.m.
Cotton said:

I'm interested in the front seats if you decide to sell them.  Looks like they're sport seats.

I want to keep these. My plan is to bring this thing back to as nice as possible in stock form with respect to the interior.

I do have a set of black leather standard seats that are in good shape  I also have a set of old recaro seats.Both recaro seats need to be recovered and the driver seat frame has been welded more than once as the steal frame broke.  

As for this car the mechanical stuff is another matter. I need to see what shape the turbo is in and if I even want to go back to a turbo. With the wiring being suspect I may go ms2 as I have a stand alone setup on the shelf for a 944 that I built about 10 years ago. This would then lead me to want to put either the M90 or the M62 that I have on the shelf. Both are from other 944 projects that were tones of fun. It may actually be cheaper to go this route as a replacement turbo for these cars are pricy just due to there rarity. If turbo replacement is not a budget hit as I am replacing like with like I would go that rout but I am almost positive that the cost of a replacement stock turbo would hit the budget in a big way. 

Anyway I really need to start a build thread as the goal is to make the challenge next year with my son as this was purchased as a father son project. The Ms part may happen as a teaching thing for my sone and he loves computers so with a MS2 it brings the computer element to the project that I hope gets my son even more involved. 

Knurled.
11/17/19 11:17 a.m.

"Replacement turbos are pricey"

...Is this the model that has the turbo with the K26/8 exhaust housing?  That'd make them expensive, as that is the housing that all the Audi enthusiasts want.  (Like me)  Porsche K26/6 turbos are fairly cheap even for Audi pricing.

dean1484
11/17/19 12:22 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

yep that is the one

dean1484
11/17/19 1:50 p.m.

Wonder if there is a knock off eBay one I could get. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Zh9wCzUA0PIFly4EDTqtN47r4BLAxSQtn9PEMe7KnuhDJyB2OLupDvqvwtmHmSTj