tjthom
tjthom New Reader
1/3/09 3:12 p.m.

Can't for the life of me find the issue with the Mini Cooper Buyers Guide in it...

There was one, wasn't there?

Anyone point me in the right direction?

Not to start a huge debate, but anyone have opinions on which year/model to get started with for a daily driver? (sorry, no solo/track plans...at this time...

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/3/09 4:08 p.m.

Miata.

I got nothing obviously. Where's Per?

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
1/3/09 4:13 p.m.

I've tried just about every one.

First off, they don't depreciate very quickly, so you might find that you're better off ordering a stripped-down version with just a few sporty options rather than a gussied up one that they have on the lot. We've found that we can buy a new stripped one and trade it in after 2 years, losing about 2500-3k per year---which is cheaper than a lease for the mileage we do.

I like the 2005-2006 years for the earlier cars. The MCS has a LSD option after 2005 and the MC has a better Getrag transmission.

As far as the later cars, they're both good.

Options to look out for: MCS: LSD Sport suspension (on R56)

MC: sport suspension sport seats

Note: avoid the big sunroof..it weighs a ton (about 100 lbs)

RandyS
RandyS New Reader
1/3/09 6:07 p.m.

I've had an 03 and a 06. The 06 has a far better transmission.

The 03 seemed to always have little things go wrong with it too. PS hose leak, PW motor failed, dashlights would blink occationally, etc. Traded it for the 06 at 32k and so far no issues or gremlins at all with the 06 at 22k.

The 06 is a better car than the 03 was. Later cars almost always have better build quality.

The only thing I miss from the 03 is I liked the chrome package bumper more that what came on the later cars and I liked the quality of the "hounds tooth" seat fabric better in the 03.

Per Schroeder
1/3/09 6:56 p.m.

We just spec'd out a Cooper Clubman (the baby seat fits fine!) with just the sport suspension/sports seat and cruise...for about 22k. A little more than the regular Cooper, but it would make it usable for Kim and the munchkin.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/3/09 7:23 p.m.

Even the S's are reasonably priced. Would the dealer usually honor the price quoted on the web site for a car you spec?

Per Schroeder
1/3/09 7:42 p.m.

Yes, they'll even go a bit under, a few hundred bucks, typically. Sure, it's not the GM 8k off..........

The order process takes 6-8 weeks for delivery.

TJ
TJ Reader
1/3/09 9:13 p.m.

Oh, and I thought this was going to be about Mini's not MINI's.

In that case, I would buy new since the used ones are just about the same price.

tjthom
tjthom New Reader
1/3/09 9:59 p.m.

Thanks for the input so far. Lots of good points.

Think we'll do some searches for an '05-'06 and see what turns up.

Per Schroeder
1/4/09 9:22 a.m.

Our 07 MCS is for sale, as we are getting ready to trade. It can come nearly stock, or prepped for autocross with extra wheels.

tjthom
tjthom New Reader
1/4/09 10:27 a.m.

Oh, now you're just tempting me...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GLIGdQUzS9O0ed79P9OR3v2OQr7Xgbbrt1XHKcm1c22lSudUtNk4DFf70Y8gG1Uv