Jerry
Jerry UberDork
12/8/17 11:43 a.m.

With the temps dropping fast the beginning of the week I put the Abarth in the garage Monday night after a wash on Sunday.  Probably staying there for maybe another week or so depending on temps.

I plan to drive it occasionally vs hard storage (like battery removed, etc).  How long a drive would you recommend?  20 minutes?  30 minutes?

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
12/8/17 11:51 a.m.

30 minutes probably. Most of what you are trying to accomplish when you drive is to get the engine and oil hot enough so that water doesn't condense in it and any that did previously is removed.

I park one of my cars for months on end with nothing but a cover and a battery tender after it cools off from the last drive of the year. Private aircraft owners get that same lecture, just idling it doesn't get things moving enough and the cylinders will eventually rot out in the horizontally opposed motors from the condensation.

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
12/8/17 12:22 p.m.

I'd say a 30 minute drive every 1 - 2 weeks would be ideal.  Otherwise, change the oil, fog the cylinders and don't start it until spring.  

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/8/17 12:24 p.m.
rslifkin said:

I'd say a 30 minute drive every 1 - 2 weeks would be ideal.  Otherwise, change the oil, fog the cylinders and don't start it until spring.  

Generally good advice, but the driving interval may need to be less on a modern car which may quickly kill its own battery when parked. A parked 1-series will need a jump start after sitting for 2 weeks, for example.

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
12/8/17 12:52 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

Easily fixable by leaving it hooked up to a battery tender while in storage.  IMO, that's preferable to disconnecting the battery for cold storage too.  

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
12/8/17 1:53 p.m.

I take the keys into the house, and restart it in the spring.  Or maybe the spring after that.  Sometimes I need a new battery.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
12/8/17 2:00 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

I take the keys into the house, and restart it in the spring.  Or maybe the spring after that.  Sometimes I need a new battery.

Yup.  Park car after last event of season.  Restart it before next event.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Vxg7KET4S0f4OyAEO0A6klv3RdWfPwmnjfbTAlYHDoNCOG7j0F1UqTYxBwXysSvK