iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
9/28/19 7:22 p.m.

I was watching the xfinity race on the roval today.

The number 20 car would spew flames out the exhaust on deceleration like the old days.

As far as I could see, none of the others cars did this.

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
9/28/19 8:48 p.m.

Is it an endurance race? Fuel is fuel, fuel burned outside the engine isn't particularly helpful. 

Funny thing about making things throw flames on decel. It also correlates with making things make pops and gurgles. A lot of cars turn off fuel completely (no injector pulse) under deceleration until you get close to idle rpm. This makes the exhaust pretty silent. If you make a car the right amount of lean on decel it will do the crackles and pops. If you do it the wrong amount of lean (i.e. rich) and have the exhaust hot enough somewhere to ignite it, you'll get flames too. But as far as the gurgles and pops go, there are probably a fair number of sport-trim street cars these days that had to have fuel wasting injector strategy added back into them so that enthusiasts could have their crackles and pops. 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/29/19 5:23 a.m.

In reply to Vigo :

On the other hand, dumping fuel on decel also cools the exhaust valves.  They might be running a little lean under power (when the real fuel consumption happens) then giving the valves some respite when off throttle.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/29/19 7:34 a.m.

Race cars should be required to have gurgles pops and sometimes flames on deceleration.

Knurled.
9/29/19 8:14 a.m.

In reply to noddaz :

Now I am torn between wanting to edit and upload my videos from yesterday's rallycross, which was both insanely tight AND testing the limits of my 2nd gear, and watching rally videos from the Group A era when they had recockulous turbo-melting antilag.

Going with the former because I'm fairly sure I was scaring the local wildlife every time I reapplied the throttle while jockeying the throttle mid-corner.  REALLY wish there was a way to make Megasquirt send J1939 (or whatever) CAN data so I can overlay RPM and TPS on the videos.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
9/29/19 10:27 a.m.

The flame car was a front runner but the other front runners didn't  flame.

So it must be something in the tuning or something is out of whack.

He did drop back to finish 12th.

Knurled.
9/29/19 11:19 a.m.
noddaz said:

Race cars should be required to have gurgles pops and sometimes flames on deceleration.

I liek the girls with the boom

No comment on the occupancy of Burger King bathrooms

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
9/29/19 1:34 p.m.

Came here hoping for a little of the below examples.

Haz 'Minor' disappoint. wink

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
9/29/19 1:35 p.m.

one more.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ugxmyXqpuTr5Ij38c756iu5AcxKBetxMzHrjX05g2HyUif6iGAsCwcxxk3lJ25UR