jmthunderbirdturbo
jmthunderbirdturbo New Reader
10/4/11 4:29 p.m.

so my friend and i finally got a challenge car. we've been looking for ever and just couldn't come up with something we liked. well, we finally decided on a 1987 toyota supra. its in awesome shape, (according to picks, we pick it up tonight), and we got it for $400!!!

plans as of now are a SBF, T5, and possibly some boost.

anyways, picks when i pick i up, or tomorrow, but i was wondering where to look for issues? rust spots? common issues i should know about?

TIA!

-J0N

ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
10/4/11 6:01 p.m.

Same you aren't closer, I probably could've given you a '92 for near $free

Speaking of which, do you need any parts off one? There is a good chance this one is headed to the junkyard.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/4/11 6:47 p.m.

I know y'all got a SBF already in budget, because I sold it to John, chrome valve covers, new cam, and all. Wicked!

1slowcrx
1slowcrx HalfDork
10/5/11 12:33 a.m.

PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
10/5/11 8:39 a.m.

yeah, pics or ban...

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
10/5/11 8:40 a.m.
ProDarwin wrote: Same you aren't closer, I probably could've given you a '92 for near $free

ok, I will bite...how much closer would one need to be for it to not be a shame, and how near to $free are we talking??

ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
10/5/11 8:49 a.m.

Well, lets just say there is a reason behind everything. $scrap is the real value I'd say. Its a White 92 Automatic Turbo. The motor is fairly low mileage (not the original). The fuel system needs help - which is why the motor doesn't run. It will crank/sputter though.

The interior needs to be removed. And burnt. Recent rainstorm got some moisture in the car and it smells like mold now.

My roommate is the expert on it. If you are interested, shoot me an email and I'll put you in touch/answer questions/provide pictures.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
10/5/11 8:58 a.m.

8 hours is probably a bit far for me, though my sis does live near DC...Unfortunately, I need to be very very close to free...hmmm....thinking...

jmthunderbirdturbo
10/5/11 3:06 p.m.

ok, pics as promised.

everything not challenge related is for sale, ie, the near perfect blue interior, the 7m-ge motor that needs a HG, the clutch and manual trans setup, the factory exhaust, the PCM and wiring harness, etc etc.

you can see how clean the body is, and kinda see how nice the interior is. its ALMOST a shame to cut her up and go racing with it, as i bet it would be a nice driver...oh well, TO GAINESVILLE!!!!!

theres a few others in there, you can sort through my album.

more updates as we go.

-J0N

Gasoline
Gasoline New Reader
10/5/11 3:20 p.m.

I like the HD truck too. What's with the scoop on the fender?

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
10/5/11 3:26 p.m.

You got time to get it to this challenge... it doesn't start til what... Friday?

spitfirebill
spitfirebill SuperDork
10/5/11 3:42 p.m.

OP The W-58 transmission is worth some bucks to a TR owner.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose New Reader
10/5/11 3:44 p.m.

Needing the HG = totally unsurprising.

Just keep an eye on the oiling situation and you'll do fine...

and don't forget that the stock electric seats weigh a tooooooon.

jmthunderbirdturbo
10/5/11 3:46 p.m.

This is Vinny. Say hi, Vinny.

-HI GUYS!

anyways, Vinny is a 3500HD with a 6.5 Turbo diesel. i got him from a silent auction at work for $400 with a box on it and a soil lab inside. after i removed the aluminum box, sold the scrap for well over $600, i got to reading the records. vinnys chassis (which is a 10,500 GVW truck with duble leafs and 12 ton rear axles) has 80k, but the motor, turbo, trans (4l80HD), tires, brakes, etc etc have about 11k. apparently, they dumped a bunch of money into it, drove it a year, then sold it. lucky me.

plans for it are a 3-4 foot dovetail, new deck, generator, compressor, work lighting, 12000lb winch, etc etc. a true support vehicle.

-J0N

jmthunderbirdturbo
10/5/11 3:48 p.m.

oh, and the scoop is air inlet to turbo housing. the stock box is HUGE, the filter is massive, but the inlet through the bottom was about the size of a golf ball. it is now 4+ inches all the way to the inlet. i also have about 5 carb springs on the stock wastegate, boosting it from stock (about 4-5 psi) to 12 at full throttle.

-J0N

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eBzxDzDqXTf8z2f34MPYwX6K1biTesJMsSZ5oZpGQfchZpy9sNlcYU85NZPmSCno