Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
8/18/17 12:54 p.m.

Hey guys,

Decided to work on project Pokemontero today. Fighting with the crank pulley bolt at first. Got that out with a rented tool to hold the pulley still while putting the boots to the bolt. Now the pulley doesn't want to come off. I can hit it with a dead blow hammer, and it wiggles, but will not come off. Any ideas? 91 Montero 3.0 V6 if any of that matters.

Chris

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Dork
8/18/17 6:20 p.m.

Just walk it off. Wiggle while pulling toward you.

drainoil
drainoil HalfDork
8/18/17 7:20 p.m.

Someone else working on a '91 Mitsu 3.0! 6g72?

As for the pulley, keep doing what your already doing, it's slow torture no quick way as far as I know.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
8/18/17 8:21 p.m.

If you can feel it moving then yeah, just put your fingers or whatever will fit 180 across from each other and alternate pulling on each side i.e. 'walk it off'. It's slow going but if it's moving at all it's 99% likely it will eventually walk off. Or you can do some fancy crap with a puller, just don't tear up any rubber that may be present between the inner and outer parts of the pulley.

So wait, you got a Montero? I'm late..

ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
8/18/17 8:58 p.m.

If it's anything similar to a 2.0, yeah they're a bitch. I had a proper pulley removal tool and it still took forever to convince it to come off.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
8/20/17 11:35 a.m.

In reply to Vigo:

I've had a Montero for about a year now. It's a father son project as my oldest sons first car. It's a 91 lwb auto Montero RS.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
8/21/17 9:52 a.m.

Bolt, and pulley removed!! I guess I just needed a rest, and some extra swearing. Now I can't get the head off quite all the way because while the exhaust manifold is unbolted from the head, and it is still holding the studs. I can't seem to be able to break the manifold free of the exhaust pipe to allow the head to come off. I guess I need some more blood to be spilled before the heads come off.

FYI, Vigo I'm still looking for a 98-99 Montero with the Winter package for myself.

Chris

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
8/21/17 10:57 a.m.

I'll keep an eye out. Sounds like you're close on getting the head off. If the intake manifold is off then once you lift the head clear of the dowel pins you should be able to slide it away from the exhaust manifold and clear the studs. It only has to come off the block like 7mm before it will slide sideways.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6ZHDnpH0eyJGFQjVmRvpw2Q3u55INnHQvWYgxeUlaVdUNfUuLUCgEBUm5R9iOg6U