Luke
Luke Dork
12/22/08 8:16 p.m.

I haven't done a 'what car?' thread in a while. So here's one now. Early next year I'll be relocating to the other side of the country, where I'll probably end up buying a new car, rather than foot the bill to have my current car trucked across.

Looking at what's for sale currently, (and likely to still be for sale when I get there), I've got an '82 Mitsubishi Starion, 2.0l turbo, non-widebody and also a '90 Galant VR4. Both similarly priced, few modifications, in seemingly good condition. The former has apparently been completely rebuilt, while the latter has ~60,000 miles on a new engine.

Which would make the better daily driver and occasional autocross/gymkhana mobile? My main requirements are reliability, ease of maintenance and 'fun factor.'

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Reader
12/22/08 8:20 p.m.

Galant VR-4.

They're a 1st-gen DSM in a 4-door body. Can't loose.

wherethefmi2000
wherethefmi2000 Reader
12/22/08 8:20 p.m.

turbo awd and 4 doors better for DD IMHO, Then again....

ArtOfRuin
ArtOfRuin Reader
12/22/08 8:56 p.m.

VR-4. They were the Evo's granddaddy and have the 4G63T in them. You can look sideways at a 4G63T and it'll make more power.

Luke
Luke Dork
12/22/08 9:04 p.m.

Yeah, I'm leaning towards the VR-4. It's just the old-school simplicity of the Starion that appeals to me. What are VR-4's like maintenance wise? Are they DIY friendly?

aussiesmg
aussiesmg HalfDork
12/22/08 9:16 p.m.

If the Starion was a widebody it'd be close but as stated the VR4, plus it has the rare factor.

ArtOfRuin
ArtOfRuin Reader
12/22/08 10:08 p.m.

Luke, you're still in Australia, right? Wikipedia says the Australian Starions all had the 4G63. And as we all know, Wikipedia is never wrong .

Also, GRM had a buyer's guide for the VR-4. I'm not at home right now, but I'll dig it up and let you know by tomorrow which issue it's in.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo New Reader
12/22/08 10:37 p.m.

VR4s are literally 100x more maintenance frlendly than a Starion.

Starions with the thottle body injection are trouble but if you can get one with Multiport EFI they are okay.

Can also put a 4G in a starion if it didnt come that way from the get go.

I would rather start with a VR4 then move to a Starion. www.galantvr4.org, www.starquestclub.com.

stirpicult
stirpicult New Reader
12/22/08 10:37 p.m.

no widebody, no starion.

vr-4.

Luke
Luke Dork
12/22/08 10:52 p.m.

This Starion is an early model, (JA), so it's likely to have the TB injection unless the owner converted it when he rebuilt the engine. Thanks for those links 93gsxturbo, and that'd be great ArtOfRuin if you could let me know which issue the buyers guide was in.

Well, you guys have swayed me completely towards the VR-4, over the Starion at least.

ArtOfRuin
ArtOfRuin Reader
12/23/08 3:30 p.m.

The VR-4 buyer's guide is in the Nov. 2004 issue (the one with Adam Carolla on the front).

jrtech
jrtech New Reader
12/23/08 11:01 p.m.

I loved my VR-4... Just felt a little sheepish every time I thought about the meeting of pistons and valves. I was so paranoid about that, I sold it. But it was a beautiful thing to own and work on, as far as Japanese econoboxes go.

Maybe someday after other projects are finished I will own another...

Luke
Luke Dork
12/23/08 11:26 p.m.

Thanks for the tip, ArtOfRuin.

I've found a local, original example for sale, so I might go and test drive (tire kick) that one after Christmas.

The local Alfa shop also has a GTV6 for sale within my budget. That'd defeat the purpose of saving on car transport costs, but a GTV6 is one of my (realistic) dream cars.

I've also got my eye on an E21 323i.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qYBujtJDJYCVaJ63iOd1E75g1n1xYRseXgVI8y5TFpMQVd13CzGaBzCx07lT4JRG