Rxbalt New Reader
July 18, 2012 9:56 a.m.

Does anyone know where to look for early Ford parts? Namely an entire Model A transmission?

My family has a 1919-ish Model T speedster, complete with cloth belt transmission, and we got to thinking we should swap it out for something easier to drive during the restore.

I'll post pics if I can find some, but it is in pretty bad shape at the moment, and the restore is a long way off.

Woody UltimaDork
July 18, 2012 10:04 a.m.

Where are you located? I may be interested in the T transmission if you remove it.

Rxbalt New Reader
July 18, 2012 10:09 a.m.

Regina, Saskatchewan. But it'll be a while before this project gets moving. I have a lot to learn about this car before I do anything to it.

JoeyM SuperDork
July 18, 2012 10:18 a.m.

Paging Trans_Maro

(I'll also forward this to a buddy of mine with an A and see if he has good advice.)

Javelin MegaDork
July 18, 2012 10:24 a.m.

My Mom happens to have about a dozen Model A's on her ranch in Cali. I can ask if they have a spare.

Woody UltimaDork
July 18, 2012 10:30 a.m.
Rxbalt wrote: Regina, Saskatchewan. But it'll be a while before this project gets moving. I have a lot to learn about this car before I do anything to it.

Ouch, that's a long way from here.

ArthurDent HalfDork
July 18, 2012 11:17 a.m.

Very cool. Any pictures of it?

stuart in mn UberDork
July 18, 2012 1:44 p.m.

Try http://www.fordbarn.com/ and http://www.jalopyjournal.com/.

July 18, 2012 3:28 p.m.

I thought the T engine and trans were one piece? While I have never driven one, they don't appear that hard to drive, different, but not difficult. Come to think of it, the model A box is a sliding gear unsynchronized unit, a whole lot harder to drive than what is basically a 2 speed automatic with manual, mechanical controls. The T trans being constant mesh, you cant grind anything. Also factor in the primary braking system on a model T is a band in the trans. The model A uses 4 wheel mechanical drums.

SillyImportRacer HalfDork
July 18, 2012 5:11 p.m.

This is the place my dad goes to for his 'A' needs. Kind of far from you but it's the one I know.

Mikes "A"Fordable Parts

JoeyM SuperDork
July 18, 2012 7:24 p.m.
Javelin wrote: My Mom happens to have about a dozen Model A's on her ranch in Cali. I can ask if they have a spare.

Does she have any interest in adopting me?

N Sperlo PowerDork
July 18, 2012 7:27 p.m.

A friend has a mode A sitting in his back yard with a locked up engine. Otherwise in good condition. Hit me up privately if you want to know more. I think hes looking for 6 Gs for the car and I don't think hes looking to part it. Id like to chop it down and rat it out.

44Dwarf SuperDork
July 18, 2012 7:54 p.m.

http://www.modeltford.com/

theses guy deal with this every day. Never been in side the place their about two block from my house....

petegossett UltraDork
July 18, 2012 10:02 p.m.

I know a couple guys who have more knowledge of A's than anyone should. I also have a local guy who modifies and races T's at the Newport, IN hillclimb. I know they have hotrod parts available...

chaparral Reader
July 18, 2012 11:10 p.m.

http://www.texastparts.com/AboutUs/AboutUs.htm

Rxbalt New Reader
July 19, 2012 9:42 a.m.

You guys are awesome, I've got more info than I'd need now! Maybe I should throw up a build thread when I finally get to it, huh?

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

First Drive: Turbo ND MX-5

24 minutes ago in News

We hit the track with Flyin' Miata's latest power adder.

Project Turbo Miata: Fire Fighting

2 hours ago in Project Cars

We transfer the fire system to our new Miata.

Vintage Views: GMC Syclone and Typhoon

1 day ago in Articles

All-wheel drive, turbo power and a Q-ship’s stealth.

Classic Motorsports Mitty Presented by Hagerty Celebrates Porsche

2 days ago in News

Gearhead heaven? We think it looks something like this.

This Weekend at the Mitty: The Ultimate Auto Festival

5 days ago in News

Gates open this Friday for the Classic Motorsports Mitty at Road Atlanta.

ND Miata Turbo Kits Now Available!

5 days ago in News

Add 70 horsepower and 70 ft.-lbs!

What's the Plan, Man?

6 days ago in Articles

Thoughts on our racing plan for the year.

Meet the Rebels Who Started the Cannonball Run

1 week ago in News

Relive those desperado days through movie excerpts, and hear the real facts and wild stories from the legends themselves.

Up for Auction: All of Level 5 Motorsports's Hardware

1 week ago in News

It's a pro race team part out.

Can You Really Live With a Low-Buck Porsche 911?

1 week ago in News

For the past two years, on of our forum regulars has been chronicling his life with a Porsche 996.

Reader's Ride of the Week: Autocross Abomination

1 week ago in News

Classic British styling with a rotary engine?

AMX-Cessive

1 week ago in Articles

If you’re going to host the search for the ultimate street car, perhaps you should drive one yourself.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
dxgVIcPCUSahqgsITObfVq6ISH0UxFpa