1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 30
kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
12/1/19 12:02 p.m.
TurnerX19 said:

In reply to kazoospec :

That is a seriously good score. I have never seen an NB kit.

After all his stock sold, a few people in the discussion of his ad claimed to have gotten them from this source.  Not able to vouch for them in any way, but looks like even with international shipping, you'd be in it for around $30 or so.  Their site does appear set up to accept various types of currency.  As far as I can tell, these are some sort of re-issue of an earlier kit.  The "originals" were previously trading for substantial $ on ebay.  "Current stock" is down to 3. 

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
12/25/19 10:59 a.m.

As a follow up, I officially "got" the NB kit for Christmas today and spent a few minutes looking through it.  It's very nicely detailed, has LHD parts and has some really nice options like top down/boot cover, soft top up and hard top.  There are also two wheel options and a couple different details like different sized exhaust tips.  As a significant bonus, it has stick on masks for painting the trim around the windscreen and the rear windows for the hard & soft top.  Detail is very crisp and it has almost no flashing/mold marks.  The only thing I don't know yet is parts fit, but given the way the rest of the kit presents, I tend to think that will be good too.  Highly recommended.  

Edit:  The shipping box has the sellers info in it if anyone is interested.  He's got a website: www.modelcarshouston.com

BenB
BenB Reader
12/25/19 6:40 p.m.

It looks like it's a good kit. Aoshima isn't quite up to Tamiya quality, but pretty close. They have a good rep on the modeling forums.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/25/19 7:23 p.m.

Santa thought if they got me something small I'd be able to finish it.  Someone in Asia is casting 1/24 scale Cozy Coupes:

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/25/19 9:44 p.m.

In reply to Wally :

That's awesome!!

TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project HalfDork
12/26/19 8:31 a.m.

Finally got one done for the winter, even though it doesn't feel like winter.

AMT '56 Ford, older issue. Made it into a mild custom tail dragger. Paint is Testors Extreme Lacquer Emerald. Swapped in a SBF from the parts bin as are the wheels and tires. I'm not really happy with anything on this build, had some troubles with paint in the interior as well as some trouble foiling the chrome, but it looks "good enough" on the shelf.

Javelin
12/26/19 10:48 a.m.

In reply to TheRX7Project :

I love the color. Sometimes you just have to finish a build like that to make you a better model builder. I have quite a few like that.

TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project HalfDork
12/26/19 12:33 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

It came to a point I just wanted it done so I could move on, so I just said "good enough" and assembled it. Now I'm working on a '70 AAR 'Cuda. I think my problem is that I jumped in on a tougher build for the first one of the year, without renewing my skills on something less involved first. The 'Cuda is a lot less involved.

slowbird
slowbird Dork
12/26/19 12:58 p.m.

It's hard to beat a 50s custom Ford. smiley

JimS
JimS Reader
12/26/19 2:27 p.m.

I'm working on a 56 also. I've got so many models stacking up I don't worry about perfection any more. I just need to finish them. I like yours. I try to build mine like I would have built a real one when growing up in 50's and 60's. Tube grilles, spun aluminum discs, etc. 

TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project HalfDork
12/26/19 2:59 p.m.

In reply to JimS :

Make sure you post up some pics when it's done.

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/31/19 5:38 p.m.

Not a build it yourself model, But I am really excited because this showed up today after 6 months of waiting. 

I love V8 supercars and when Triple 8 Racing made this car in 2014 I instantly fell in love. Biante announced in June they'd make a 1:12 and a 1:43. I wanted the 1:12, but at $250USD it was just too much for my blood. This one was about $85USD when all said and done. 

I actually looked, It's been nearly 7 months next week since I ordered it. 

BenB
BenB Reader
1/10/20 9:34 a.m.

Finished my Revell (ex-Monogram) 1/24 RX-7. Nice kit! Fit together almost as well as some of the newer Fujimi and Platz kits I've been building, lately. I'm sort of wishing I'd painted it Spark Yellow, because the silver, which looks great on the real car, looks a little too monochrome on the model. I guess I can use that as an excuse to build another one.

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
1/10/20 10:02 a.m.

In reply to BenB :

The flip side is, unlike yellow, silver sprays out really nicely.  I painted my C7R THREE TIMES (stripped it between attempts) and it still looks like crap.

TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project HalfDork
1/10/20 2:27 p.m.

In reply to kazoospec :

I've got 3 of those in my future build stash along with some other RX7s I'll probably never finish (much like the real thing).That kit looks like to goes together real nice- or at least you made it go together real nice :)

BenB
BenB Reader
1/10/20 3:26 p.m.
TheRX7Project said:

In reply to kazoospec :

I've got 3 of those in my future build stash along with some other RX7s I'll probably never finish (much like the real thing).That kit looks like to goes together real nice- or at least you made it go together real nice :)

Thanks! The only fit issue I had was because the chassis was warped slightly. Otherwise, it was a surprisingly easy build. I wish Monogram's 1/48 jet kits of the same vintage fit as good!

TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project HalfDork
1/12/20 3:42 p.m.

So what do you do when you have 12 hours to kill at work, because someone HAS TO be there and it HAS TO be you?

From start to finish, the Clockwork Merc...

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
1/12/20 3:50 p.m.

Awesome quicky!

TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project HalfDork
1/12/20 4:57 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

Thank you!

By the way, that is a FANTASTIC kit. It all but fell together, has a ton of options, and was crisp and well-designed, with a bunch of nice detail. Definitely recommended.

slowbird
slowbird Dork
1/12/20 7:33 p.m.

Sweet lead sled.

Javelin
1/13/20 12:17 a.m.

In reply to BenB :

Hot mama that's a clean build!!

Javelin
1/13/20 12:17 a.m.

Dude a 12-hour project is awesome! Even better that it came out so rad!!

JimS
JimS Reader
1/13/20 1:10 p.m.

My version of Merc kit. Stock and carbon copy of the first car I drove on the street. My older brother's 50 flathead v8 and three on the tree. 

Javelin
1/13/20 3:02 p.m.

In reply to JimS and TheRX7Project :

I have that kit, apparently I should pull it out and give it a go.

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
1/13/20 4:46 p.m.
TheRX7Project said:

In reply to kazoospec :

It's a great kit.  Detailed well.  Only a few minor fit issues.  Great subject.  I just haven't figured out how to lay down a decent paint job with yellow.  I started with Model Master (should have known better).  That pulled away from all sharp edges and panel lines even though it was primed and cleaned REALLY well before I painted.  (I've had issues with yellow before).  Since that didn't work, I stripped it and re-sprayed it with Tamiya yellow.  It was a little better, but still pulled away from the edges.  I wet sanded it to a dull sheen and sprayed it again.  It's is now passable, but not anything I'm happy with.  Not sure if there are any other color schemes available, but if so, I'd try them over the factory yellow.  If I had known how much trouble I was going to have with it, I'd have done a fictional privateer or some sort of classic based scheme rather than messing with yellow.  

EDIT:  Oooooh, I'm an UBER DORK now.  Apparently, now I transport other dorks for profit. 

1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 30

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IGw9HpcY5MW2eX1kU5tov1YZ83XXoQaaIsEU8CK87L01T0zgFWfoUj0qzwpwxUA9