1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 30
TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Reader
2/26/19 8:44 a.m.

If you can fix the Rebel's roof it would be epic, but otherwise follow my comment on youtube.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/26/19 9:01 a.m.
TurnerX19 said:

If you can fix the Rebel's roof it would be epic, but otherwise follow my comment on youtube.

Oh I absolutely can fix it! I love your idea, too, though and even have a Rambler ripe for it.

TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project Reader
2/26/19 1:09 p.m.

I voted you build the AMX, and send me that Cosmo smiley

Not sure if you're on Facebook or not, but I'm in a group called "Plastic Automotive and Motorcycle Builder's Paradise" and we are having a gasser build-off from March 1st to April 1st.

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
2/28/19 7:28 p.m.

I spent about 2 hours scraping multiple layers of crappy yellow paint off the Corvette tonight.  It's about 90% there.  Threw it back in the "purple power" for a few more days.  Oddly, it worked much better on the outside of the body than the inside.  

Anyhow, just to top off a thoroughly unpleasant job, about 2 minutes before I finished up, I had a massive coughing attack and blew powdered yellow paint all over my kitchen . . . frown 

I'm currently reminding myself this is supposed to be fun.  

Javelin
4/15/19 9:47 a.m.

In today's Miniatures Monday episode I show a couple of new models I got from Tower Hobbies. They have a $15 off any order fo $50 or more, coupon code 01A15. I am not sponsored by them, I get nothing for referring you, they have no idea I even exist beyond my many, many purchases. Just passing along a really great source for deals! I get my display cases there by the case as they do a case quantity discount on top of everything else.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 HalfDork
4/28/19 10:15 a.m.

I went to NNL East yesterday and am posting a few photos below. Some are particularly aimed at Wally because I know his commercial builds. There was something for everyone who likes powered wheelssmiley Between the shoe trip and a few other errands the X1/9 got 200 miles yesterdaycheeky

next one is for the rotardslaugh

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/28/19 3:56 p.m.

The In reply to TurnerX19 :

I heard that it was a great show, I wish I had made it down their but work canceled everyone’s PTO days for yesterday.  There is so much talent there.

Javelin
5/31/19 5:13 p.m.

Latest project.

TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project Reader
5/31/19 5:25 p.m.

Forgot to post up my gasser build in this thread :)

AMT '53 Studebaker with a scratchbuilt interior, some parts from the '57 Ford Wagon gasser (amazingly, front the suspension fit right in the holes on the Studebaker chassis with a tiny bit of sanding), a parts-bin small block Chevy and wheels/tires.

I present the Shakin' Baker

Javelin
5/31/19 5:33 p.m.

Now with clear coat!

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
6/9/19 5:12 p.m.

Ok you guys know all, so, I need some help here.

My youngest son (age 9) is building one of his first models and got ahead of himself and glued in the windshield in while I was at work.  He had not yet learned that glue needs to be used sparingly.  Here's the result:

He's been working on this for a few months.  It's going to be his entry for 4-H.  What can we do to fix it? Project needs to be turned in next week.

Javelin
6/9/19 5:18 p.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

Looks like traditional plastic cement? If so, there's no helping it. It literally melts and welds the plastic. I would carefully carve it out to save the A-pillars and make a new windshield out of a clear plastic packaging (be creative, there's clear plastic everywhere, look at clamshells). Glue in the new windshield with regular Elmer's white glue.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/9/19 7:27 p.m.
Indy-Guy said:

Ok you guys know all, so, I need some help here.

My youngest son (age 9) is building one of his first models and got ahead of himself and glued in the windshield in while I was at work.  He had not yet learned that glue needs to be used sparingly.  Here's the result:

He's been working on this for a few months.  It's going to be his entry for 4-H.  What can we do to fix it? Project needs to be turned in next week.

Find another kit, cut the windshield frame from it, glue to this model after carefully removing the windshield and frame from this one. Not much different on the 1:1 car actually. You'll need to support the frame in some way however.

slowbird
slowbird New Reader
6/9/19 8:01 p.m.

I've ruined more than one kit at the "attach the glass" portion, so I feel the pain.

My current build rate is approximately one half of one kit every two years...I really struggle to find the patience to sit down and paint and glue stuff together. Not to mention, I usually bite off more than I can chew with custom projects...like trying to convert this Ford Probe with fender flares into an actual IMSA GTU type car with tube chassis and cool engine. But keep it FWD, like that one Dodge Daytona that had at least a tiny bit of success. Basically as a "what if" project. I might also do one with RWD and a bigger engine for the GTO class, as if it had really become the new Mustang and had to be the body of choice for those Roush Racing cars.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
6/10/19 6:54 a.m.

In reply to Javelin & vwcorvette :

Thanks for the tips guys.  I was hoping there was new technology or a "buff it out" solution.  We cut out the windshield last night.  Some repainting and a search for a replacement windshield (or plastic sheeting) is on.

TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project Reader
6/10/19 10:54 a.m.

Plastic "clamshell" container should do the trick. That windshield didn't look too complex. Good luck either way.

Also, if you ever need to "unglue" something, let it sit in the freezer overnight. USUALLY it will contract enough to unglue itself.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/10/19 6:44 p.m.
Indy-Guy said:

Thanks for the tips guys.  I was hoping there was new technology or a "buff it out" solution.  We cut out the windshield last night.  Some repainting and a search for a replacement windshield (or plastic sheeting) is on.

I may have what you need. How soon do you need the pieces? Email me 

geo.l.rooney

atgmail

dotcom

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
6/10/19 7:42 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette :

Message sent.

Here's a pic of the box it came in. An old model from the late eighties or early nineties when I was last into the hobby.  It never got started, so I gave it to Indy-Kid #3. (He's 9)

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
6/10/19 8:35 p.m.

In reply to TheRX7Project :

I'm drawing a blank on the "clamshell" containers you guys are referring to. Can someone post a pic? Thanks

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
6/11/19 9:29 a.m.
vwcorvette said:
Indy-Guy said:

I may have what you need. How soon do you need the pieces? Email me 

geo.l.rooney

atgmail

dotcom

Just checked the calendar.  He has to turn it in Monday June 17th.

slowbird
slowbird New Reader
6/14/19 5:26 p.m.

So, I've been working on this IMSA Mustang kit for a looooooooooong time. Actually, I have two chassis basically finished and no bodies to put on them yet. One's got partial decals, but the ones I had weren't accurate and I was going to make some myself. Then I found some new decals from Indycals that will be way better. Only problem is, I probably ought to remove the old crappy ones and start fresh rather than mixing and matching them together, but I'm lazy.

The other one is supposed to be used with a resin Merkur conversion body, but that thing needs a lot of work to make it really nice, and again, I'm lazy. I also have a resin "IMSA" Lincoln Mark VII (it's actually based on a Trans-Am car, but same thing. A lot of cars raced in both series with minimal changes) that I could put on it.

Instead of finishing either of those, I decided to start a new project instead. One that goes well beyond any of my previous builds, and will probably be too difficult and cause me to give up. So, yeah. I got this IMSA Probe and decided it should be a race car instead of just a street car with a body kit. Now, the problem is...there's not much to use as reference. If I stuff it on the Mustang chassis, it will need a lot of tweaking to fit, although the wheelbase is just about perfect. Or, I could build my own custom chassis out of styrene rods, and keep the engine and some parts of the drivetrain, and make it a FWD racing beast that can't lose (because it's not real, and in my imagination, I make the rules)

So, here it is just sitting on top of a IMSA Mustang tube frame, for inspiration. I've lightly glued one fender flare on, and trimmed back the body underneath it so it looks more like a seamless hand-formed piece of bodywork, and I also cut the engine bay/shock towers out of it.

I think when I make it for real, I'm going to mimic the design of the kit chassis, but make my own tweaks to fit the engine and body better, and also go with equal-sized tires all around. Also, here's a picture of a IMSA Dodge Daytona, which I *think* is FWD, because they built 2 FWD and 2 RWD cars, and this one has a transverse engine placement. It's literally the only picture I can find that is useful for reference in this case.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
6/15/19 4:08 p.m.

Sanding, cutting, repainting, and windshield fabrication complete.

Thanks for the tips guys.

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
6/15/19 4:36 p.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

Nice save!

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/15/19 9:16 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

I totally love the IMSA / Tran Am Mustang.  I’ve been looking at them again to inspire finishes for my challenge car.  I followed Roush closely back in those days.  

Willy T Ribbs drove a Trans Am Mustang in that Motorcraft paint scheme.

slowbird
slowbird New Reader
6/21/19 8:07 a.m.

The stock turbo in the Probe kit is way too small for a race car, so I ordered this. Hopefully it's not too modern-looking for my 1990-ish race car.

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 30

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FZ5kALNXB7BPnX5RmJ35oaoRwTGiMDsIpLKMRrf3h82P5TakujFzkIKjSUQJbepX