1 2
spandak
spandak Reader
8/5/19 10:57 a.m.

I was driving my wife’s 18 Crosstrek around this weekend and noticed that it’s been getting an average of 34.6 mpg in daily commuting and grocery getting. 

My commuter, an 05 FZ6 is getting 35.6 on my commute. 

So an AWD automatic mini suv is getting basically the same mileage on regular gas as my motorcycle. 

Thats crazy to me. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/5/19 11:40 a.m.

In reply to spandak :

I think what you're seeing is also a side effect of the CUV being optimised for fuel consumption, whereas the bike engine is optimised for peak power.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/5/19 11:48 a.m.

the miracle of computers in both controlling spark and fuel and in designing the engines. Without them we would not be getting 800hp cars that are perfectly docile on the street and trucks that get into the 20s mpg

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
8/5/19 1:06 p.m.

I think the greater commentary is that it's a SUBARU getting good mpg here. 20 years ago that didn't exist. Last one that could hit 30+ easily were the early 90s Justy and FWD 1.8 Impreza, back when FWD subarus existed. Also because they never sent that diesel 2.0 Legacy Wagon which im still mad about.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/5/19 1:11 p.m.

That's impressive that in mixed driving you're doing better than the highway rating!

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
8/5/19 1:12 p.m.
Vigo said:

Also because they never sent that diesel 2.0 Legacy Wagon which im still mad about.

Yeah, that one grinds me too!  I was at the former SIA plant in Lafayette for a Subaru Challenge autocross event in my SVX and asked about it.  Yup, it's coming!  Woo Hoo then nothing.

spandak
spandak Reader
8/5/19 2:54 p.m.

Is it the new Silverado that gets greater than 30mpg Highway? Old tech is getting old faster than ever. 

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
8/5/19 3:18 p.m.

Diesel half ton silverado is either close to or over 30mpg highway, yes.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
8/5/19 3:24 p.m.

Was recently thinking the same thing while watching a video on the new Nissan Versa: Does anybody make a bad car anymore?  It seems like most everything that was a automotive penalty box has been weeded out of the US market or has been seriously enhanced in the latest model cycles.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
8/5/19 3:27 p.m.

My rental Ranger quad cab FX4 just knocked down 27.5 at 70mph...  10 speeds and a snail shaped premuffler.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/5/19 3:56 p.m.
nderwater said:

Was recently thinking the same thing while watching a video on the new Nissan Versa: Does anybody make a bad car anymore?  It seems like most everything that was a automotive penalty box has been weeded out of the US market or has been seriously enhanced in the latest model cycles.

There are still cars that are unreliable, still cars that are not fun to drive, still cars that have an interior seemingly designed by Kenmore...

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
8/5/19 4:05 p.m.

I grew up with a lot of cars that were all of those things -- unreliable, crap to drive, and cheap inside.  Does such a car still exist?

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/5/19 4:19 p.m.
nderwater said:

I grew up with a lot of cars that were all of those things -- unreliable, crap to drive, and cheap inside.  Does such a car still exist?

Fiat 500X? 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
8/5/19 10:04 p.m.
spandak said:

So an AWD automatic mini suv is getting basically the same mileage on regular gas as my motorcycle. 

Thats crazy to me. 

The funny thing is motorcycle gas mileage seems to have gone down over the years.  My 1979 Suzuki GS1000 can get close to 50mpg, today's 1000cc sportbikes aren't anywhere near that.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/5/19 10:30 p.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

The new bikes would run rings around a 40 year old bike. There has to be a trade off.

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
8/5/19 11:44 p.m.

With the stuff I work on, I get old timers constantly telling me "They sure don't make 'em like they used to".

Yup, they don't. I love old cars because they drive and feel like old cars but new cars are downright incredible.

300hp used to be a lot, now it's a V6 minivan.

You want goofy horsepower and good fuel mileage? We can totally do that.

Cylinder head stays on for the life of the car? No problem!

Be the middle car in a 5-car pileup and still be able to open the door and get out? Sure..

They sure don't make 'em like they used to....

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/6/19 7:08 a.m.
nderwater said:

Probably talking about the ‘85 Cavalier my employer had back in the ‘90’s.  Gosh that car was a miserable, unreliable, gas guzzling slug.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/6/19 7:11 a.m.
stuart in mn said:
spandak said:

Thats crazy to me. 

The funny thing is motorcycle gas mileage seems to have gone down over the years.  My 1979 Suzuki GS1000 can get close to 50mpg, today's 1000cc sportbikes aren't anywhere near that.

My Ducati 939 gets 35.  So yeah.  

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/6/19 7:32 a.m.
ShawnG said:

With the stuff I work on, I get old timers constantly telling me "They sure don't make 'em like they used to".

Yup, they don't. I love old cars because they drive and feel like old cars but new cars are downright incredible.

Be the middle car in a 5-car pileup and still be able to open the door and get out? Sure..

Yeah, anytime someone says old cars are safer, I point them to the 59 vs 09 Bel-Air/Malibu Video GM did. 

They change their tune after that.

buzzboy
buzzboy HalfDork
8/6/19 7:47 a.m.

I'm kinda surprised that the crosstrek doesn't get better fuel economy. Aero?

dclafleur
dclafleur Reader
8/6/19 7:53 a.m.
A 401 CJ said:
nderwater said:

Probably talking about the ‘85 Cavalier my employer had back in the ‘90’s.  Gosh that car was a miserable, unreliable, gas guzzling slug.

I don't know that I'll ever see a car like my mom's old Pontiac 6000 again..  They sure don't make them like they used to.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/6/19 8:10 a.m.
z31maniac said:
ShawnG said:

Yeah, anytime someone says old cars are safer, I point them to the 59 vs 09 Bel-Air/Malibu Video GM did. 

They change their tune after that.

My uncle was going on about how they don't make them like they used to. Literally 3 minutes later, I mentioned that my DD has 280k miles. "Holy Cow Mike, that is nuts! No way I'd drive in that car everyday". Apparently, he thinks they do make them like they used to.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/6/19 8:33 a.m.
ShawnG said:

They also start every time, first time, in all weather.  The idea of "bad fuel" is also compensated.

There's no more "annual maintenance" as the only real work is to put fuel in, and change the oil/filter once every 5-10k. No such thing as ignition maintenence- as the plug last 100k miles.

No more "tune ups".  

Brakes go slower than tires, unless you are beating on them.  

On that note, brakes stop the car much better than before, tires are less likely to puncutre.

All in all, modern cars have better performance all around (fuel economy, power, emissions) with much less work and effort by the owner.

spandak
spandak Reader
8/6/19 9:06 a.m.

In reply to buzzboy :

Probably. Her commute is a few miles in the city and then up and back down a fairly good hill. I make hypermiling a game on long trips (like most of us here as I’ve learned) and I’ll see high 30s even with some foot down passing.

In response to the comment about not making them like they used to, Ive showed that exact video to several old timers I work with who were of that mindset. It usually sparks an interesting conversation. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/6/19 10:04 a.m.

That 59 was a rusty pile, but I understand the point. 

The only thing new cars don't do better is choice. If you wanted a weird 69 Kingswood wagon with manual steering, power brakes, radio delete, a big block and A/C, you could order one that way. 

Porsche is the only company that still kind of does it that way, and you pay out the nose. 

But as I said to Stewart, there has to be a trade off.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PZSGTcHe8aPFAeKM56g6Fxe1elpjDGdhngo1g0DCIz1n3e1WX6PTMQFz6OX3uqRk