carguy123
carguy123 HalfDork
10/24/08 3:52 p.m.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Audi-R8-Codename_193294.htm?Ref=Blog

Now this is just too cool.

What does the big thing on the ground in front of the car do? He says we all know what it does, but I don't. EMP projector?

ArtOfRuin
ArtOfRuin Reader
10/24/08 4:00 p.m.

EMP= ElectroMagnetic Pulse. It's a type of weapon that interferes with nearby electronics. Military-grade EMP weapons can fry electonics irrepairably. His car is a cop radar killer.

carguy123
carguy123 HalfDork
10/24/08 4:09 p.m.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/OMFG_193877.htm

This needs to go with the Batmobile.

I know what an EMP is and have been looking for a way to build/buy a gun for it, I just wasn't sure if that's what his thingy was.

I believe every cop in hiding deserves a nice blast. If they sit in the open and act as a reminder to watch your speed I have no problem with them.

Schmidlap
Schmidlap New Reader
10/24/08 5:14 p.m.

The guys are full of crap. An infrasonic pulse wave generator isn't going to roast your little guys, or disrupt a radar gun, or do really anything special, like they're saying. Ultrasound can destroy tissue, but infrasound can't.

Infrasound is just sound waves below the frequency that humans can hear (1-20Hz). A lot of animals can hear it, and may use it for long range communication, and its thought that they pick up the infrasound created by tsunamis rushing towards shore and thats why they flee before the tsunami hits the shore.

Infrasound has been found to create nausea in people, as well as feelings of depression, anxiety, a feeling of pressure on your chest, as well as the explanation of ghosts (The Ghost in The Machine). The US Military looked into using it as a weapon but it was found that to be ineffective and was dropped. It was also found that in order to get energies high enough to induce reactions in humans, at a suitable range required huge amounts of electricity and huge "speakers". If it were dangerous, nobody would go near the ocean, diesel engines, or other mechanical devices that operate at low frequencies.

Getting back to the guy in the video, I doubt that's an infrasonic wave generator. It looks like they glued a soup can to an amplifier and painted the whole thing black and got some blinging tubing or wiring and ran it to the amp. They're just trying to get attention, why else would they need two "bluetooth GPS units feeding the laptop", two Garmins, two radar detectors, a PA with full sirens? Redundancy for a coast to coast record attempt? I doubt it - these things just don't fail very much. Hell, they got all excited about the remote control exhaust cutouts. The guy probably goes to bars and tries to convince women that he's a spy and needs there help - I blame True Lies.

If anyone else has some tech on how infrasound could be useful in the front of a car, I'd love to hear it, but I think its just some guy trying to get attention. The only thing I can think of is if he's stuck in a traffic jam and wants to try to make everyone in front of him nauseous so they'll pull off the highway, and I don't think his little contraption would be able to do that, especially since the car they're riding in will attenuate the sound waves very effectively.

Bob

Volksroddin
Volksroddin Reader
10/24/08 7:35 p.m.

the man in the R8 is Alex Roy (gum ball) set a record from NY to CA somethin like 31hrs51min or somthin like that. His E39 M5 was trick-out aswell like that too. BTW most interviews that I seen him in he sounds like a pric.

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
10/24/08 9:42 p.m.

Can we say redundancy

carguy123
carguy123 HalfDork
10/24/08 9:59 p.m.

So maybe this is his new Gumball rally car since they said this was a great rally car at the beginning. I wasn't thinking that kind of rally when he said it.

noisycricket
noisycricket Reader
10/24/08 10:32 p.m.

I thought a simple radar destroyer could be made with a capacitor bank and a spark plug.

One-shot deal, and it's supposed to sound like a shotgun blast so there's no stealth in it either.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
10/24/08 11:03 p.m.
neon4891 wrote: Can we say redundancy

It's all pretty much neccessary to break an cross-country record. The more tech, the better.

As for anonymity--that's probably the only R8 in this country that looks like that. It's pretty conspicuous.

100% badass, though.

Also--the clip tag says it's Alex Roy's car. Clearly not.

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
10/24/08 11:11 p.m.

multiple GPSs? including two identicle garmins, multiple radar detectors? Still bad ass, but i could drop about 25% of the gear.

Luke
Luke Dork
10/24/08 11:15 p.m.

Isn't it though, Alex Roy's car?

I think that fact alone adds a great deal of credibility to its techno capabilities.

Also, is that what the stick shift looks like in an A8? Or has he opted for the lame-o automatic?

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Reader
10/24/08 11:47 p.m.
Schmidlap wrote: hey're just trying to get attention, why else would they need two "bluetooth GPS units feeding the laptop", two Garmins, two radar detectors, a PA with full sirens?

If it's Alex Roy, he used the GPS units more for speed verification than navigation. This guy (probably Roy) looks to be tangling with some new use as well.

The PA is to go along with the "Polizi" theme.

Alex Roy is my kind of rich douchebag. He drove through the GRM paddox at the Daytona 24, kinda cool see his M5.

The R8 is a DSG gearbox.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
10/25/08 12:12 a.m.
Luke wrote: Isn't it though, Alex Roy's car?

So it's some sort of ruse that his anonymous voice he's interviewing isn't the owner of the car and it's really Alex Roy's car???

It's like the Basic Instinct defense. "Why would I show off the car I'm about to commit a major crime with???"

I still think it's some uber rich dude's car.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/25/08 1:46 p.m.

Nice, but why so much redundant equipment, and why no smokescreen? Unless it has a catalytic converter it can run a smokescreen.

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
10/25/08 10:55 p.m.

"feed in" the smoke screen after the cats?

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
10/26/08 6:52 a.m.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2008/08/doppler_weather_radar_picks_up_car_blazing_down_highway_at_130_mph-2.html

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fPTaRGJLhPrNH4Sytm8LUKVoVKWAq3RjwMYoaMUDSJKviaOxQxCcvogSW38qRVPW