1 2 3
mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth MegaDork
11/1/17 12:35 p.m.

I have a fascination with single cab 2wd trucks with big motors. It probably started with Lil' Red Express trucks in my youth, who can say really, but I've always been a fan of vehicles with way more motor than chassis and trucks seem like the easy button in modern times. Ford announced a Ford Performance supercharger for the F-150 today. 640hp, 600lb/ft, keeps the factory warranty as long as you have a dealer put it on. The current supercharger (a bit less power) is $7100, so let's use $8k for an estimate for the new one. A new base F-150 with only the 5.0 box checked is $29,375. With a bit of trickery you should be able to get out the door with a brand new 640hp F-150 for $40k. It'll probably be violently dangerous in the rain, only seats you, a friend, and a really close friend, and is otherwise horribly impractical, but...... is there a way to do better? Or is this the zenith of financiable V8 stupidity at the moment? 
Totally buying a lottery ticket BTW. 

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
11/1/17 12:54 p.m.

If you know what's good for you .........get back outside and shovel gravel wink   This right here explains a lot about the seriousness of your BTADD (buildthreadattentiondefictdisorder) which also seems to afflict a fair amount of hive dwellers .  

Bobcougarzillameister
Bobcougarzillameister MegaDork
11/1/17 12:56 p.m.

New sucks. It's why I went old. You have any idea what $40k into a C10 would be? and it will be smaller and lighter and be more awesomer. Always look for the awesomer. 

RossD
RossD MegaDork
11/1/17 12:59 p.m.

In reply to Bobcougarzillameister :

Yeah, but sometimes you want a warranty and to be coddled by new interior bobs and doodads.

Bobcougarzillameister
11/1/17 1:00 p.m.

In reply to RossD :

No...... say it isn't so?! This makes me the sads. 

RossD
RossD MegaDork
11/1/17 1:02 p.m.

In reply to Bobcougarzillameister :

Oh and no rust to deal with.

RossD in Wisco

Bobcougarzillameister
11/1/17 1:02 p.m.

In reply to RossD :

But that is why God made Arizona. So we can still have nice things when they get old. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth MegaDork
11/1/17 1:07 p.m.

My truck has 193k. My wife's FJ Cruiser has 188k. The Volt and the 911 are both at 111k. The R63 is.......special. I'm not afraid of old cars, but sometimes it's nice to know that something breaking won't be your problem for the next little while. 

In Reply to 759NRNG : 

My BTADD issue is something else. I'm not doing well without a schedule, and Mrs. Deuce job shopping makes it impossible for me to have a schedule. In the mean time I'll car shop. It's fun. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth MegaDork
11/1/17 1:22 p.m.

Oh, and Wilwood makes a brake kit with six piston rotors and 15 inch rotors for the front and four pistons and 14.25 inch rotors for the back. I could almost talk myself into this if I had money. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
11/1/17 1:22 p.m.

I like the idea of a newish muscle truck. My choice? Probably one of these:

Why? Because they are relatively dirt cheap compared to the other offerings by Ford and GM, and they are as bare bones as you can get. I've seen these for around $22-23k new, and that's with the 390hp Hemi. You can get a variety of limited slip axles, too. 

For a few grand more, you can find one of the Sport-R/T models. Those look great!

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth MegaDork
11/1/17 1:23 p.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

Other than throwing a crate Hellcat motor at it, what's the potential of the Dodges? I do like their rear suspension. 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/1/17 1:28 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Ford announced a Ford Performance supercharger for the F-150 today. 640hp, 600lb/ft, keeps the factory warranty as long as you have a dealer put it on. The current supercharger (a bit less power) is $7100, so let's use $8k for an estimate for the new one. A new base F-150 with only the 5.0 box checked is $29,375. With a bit of trickery you should be able to get out the door with a brand new 640hp F-150 for $40k. 

Oh, I had no idea. How lovely! And affordable too! A 640hp anything with a warrenty from the factory for $40k? 

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
11/1/17 1:29 p.m.

I'm a bit dumb and just thought of a regular cab long bed Ram 2500 2wd  with the 6.4 Hemi and a 2.9 liter Whipple. Looks like this would also be in the slightly under 40k range. Slightly heavier but 600hp burnout monster with tow pig potential sounds fun to me. Extra cooling system work will be required and I have a feeling warranties will be voided. The down side here is it looks like the 2500/6.4 combo gets you the 66RFE, not the 8 speed ZF you'd get in the 1500.

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
11/1/17 1:53 p.m.
Bobcougarzillameister said:

New sucks. It's why I went old. You have any idea what $40k into a C10 would be? and it will be smaller and lighter and be more awesomer. Always look for the awesomer. 

This is my life philosophy, but some people like warrantys and having a modern vehicle. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth MegaDork
11/1/17 2:16 p.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

That reminds me, the 5.0 trucks come wih the 10 speed. 

Bobcougarzillameister
11/1/17 2:33 p.m.

You can get a 5.3/6-spd Silverado with the brembo brake package, locking diff and borla catback for $34k, then add the GMPP Supercharger kit for another $6900. 

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
11/1/17 3:13 p.m.

OK i'm in ....TonyS has the right idea SPORT- R/T with an over the counter HellCat lump and warranty too.....sorry BCZM the bowtie clan is just a little  short.......but if one were able to score a 1990's ish 454SS......hmmm 572CI anyone?

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH Reader
11/1/17 3:13 p.m.

I know at one point Toyota would sell you a single cab V8 Tundra and you could add a factory TRD supercharger with warranty. Not sure if they still do but that would be another option.

This Chevy debuted itself at SEMA just yesterday, and I love some LQ goodness. Kind of like a Silverado SS of sorts.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
11/1/17 3:58 p.m.
Bobcougarzillameister said:

You can get a 5.3/6-spd Silverado with the brembo brake package, locking diff and borla catback for $34k, then add the GMPP Supercharger kit for another $6900. 

That's the way I would go if I won the lottery or something.

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
11/1/17 4:05 p.m.

Not the cheapest or easiest to find choice but I really liked the idea of these when they came out and have everything all the others have except the 'MURICA V8 burble.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth MegaDork
11/1/17 7:02 p.m.

In reply to JtspellS :

I also loved those, but man are they hard to find. For the price I've seen them at it makes more sense to just buy a new aluminum 5.0 truck. 

In reply to Bobcougarzillameister : 

Other than generally liking GM trucks (which I do) why choose the Silverado? It's heavier and it doesn't seem like the DI motors they're putting in the trucks have the same easy button tunability as the Coyote. I also can't get the 10 speed from GM in a single cab truck yet. 

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
11/1/17 7:09 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

It looks like you can pick up a Tradesman Ram 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi and a 3.92 rear for $29k basically option free otherwise. Add in a Whipple supercharger and that'll get you another 170tq/170hp (565 HP/580 tq) and a 3 year warranty for about $35k.

Kenne Belle doesn't offer the warranty from what I can see but it looks like you can get about 700hp/700tq out of their 2.8L kit for another 800 bucks according to their site.

$5k will buy a lot of Brembo/Wilwood brake (if we're targeting $40k)

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/2/17 12:07 a.m.

I was bitten by that bug in 2011:

2011 Ram 1500 Express

I paid a touch over $22k OTT.

5.7L Hemi, 5 spd auto (2012 got 6 speeds), 390hp/407lb ft, 3.55 rear, 9k lb tow rating

Stuff I did:

22" SRT10 replica wheels

Hellwig front/rear swaybars

14" Magnaflow SIDO muffler

Electric exhaust cutout

Vararam intake

Truxedo folding aluminum tonneau cover

Smoked head light housings

Canned 93 octane tune from Diablosport

Bought a Belltech rear lowering kit but never installed it

Disabled the cylinder deactivation due to the funky drone when running on 4 cylinders

That truck would knock down an honest 20mpg on the highway. It was electronically limited to 105mph (or so I was told devil)

I was planning to supercharge it and do some more suspension stuff but sadly traded it in for something that would fit my kids (2 in car seats and a 12 year old stepson at the time=not possible)

I loved that truck. I still miss it sad

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
11/2/17 12:32 a.m.

You could get a LLY Duramax in a 3/4 ton, standard cab, long box package

Check those boxes and make a phone call to Gale Banks for a Big Hoss kit.

If I were to build a muscle truck, it would be a 2wd 1996 F-150 with blown 460 crammed in it.

neon-cougar-4891
neon-cougar-4891 MegaDork
11/2/17 5:48 a.m.

While I appreciate the lightness of the F-150, and would pick one for DD use, in this situation I would go Ram. Cheaper OTD, easier to pick and choose options than ford, and sheer lunacy of it is Chrysler’s specialty. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
f2SYc85Dx6IulDRwIUzGiXiVi3UMWaMLwToXgQ4CYrOQveXiQXMkOThlEEov9SRd