Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/27/09 9:59 p.m.

I have the Eibach E36 28mm front sway bar for my 318ti. Over the winter I'll be installing E36 M3 front strut housings with Koni inserts to take advantage of the sway bar mounting position (on the strut, rather than the control arm).

The bar as a more conventional style of adjustment, with two holes on the ends of the sway bar. I've thought about wanting to stiffen up the bar, and the change in mounting will help, but more adjustment could be good. I might have enough meat to drill another inboard hole, but I'm not sure.

I'm going to have to buy end links, so that got me thinking...

Ground Control makes a really nice, really stiff front sway bar with a wide range of adjustment due to the style of end link.

Anyone know where I could find a clamp similar to that? I don't mind putting together my own end link with rod ends.

Thanks!

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/27/09 11:56 p.m.

Take one of these and weld a tab to it? Sure would be cheap, they're only about $5. http://www.mcmaster.com/#locking-collars/=491lxk

I've seen universal sway bar parts somewhere. I want to say Speedway Motors, but I can't find them there. One of the big circle track places.

Maybe misuse one of these? http://www.circletracksupply.com/product.php?productid=87&cat=5&page=2

xci_ed6
xci_ed6 Reader
10/28/09 1:14 a.m.

What's the diameter of the bar? If it is around 1" (25.4mm) or 1.25" (31.75mm) I've seen frame clamps for motorcycles that could be modified to work.

Personally, I'd get a chunk of billet and just copy that. Why have I never thought of that, it's genius because of it's simplicity.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
10/28/09 4:41 a.m.

Pick up a copy of Circle Track magazine, or one of the similar. A whole lot of the circle track type parts vendors carry them.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/28/09 7:45 a.m.

didnt i tell you to do that what, like 5 years ago? just like the rancho bars i had on my camaro, that i wish i'd have kept. because they were badass.

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/28/09 10:31 a.m.
xci_ed6 wrote: What's the diameter of the bar? If it is around 1" (25.4mm) or 1.25" (31.75mm) I've seen frame clamps for motorcycles that could be modified to work. Personally, I'd get a chunk of billet and just copy that. Why have I never thought of that, it's genius because of it's simplicity.

The true genius is that I know someone with a CNC setup... hmmm

The bar is 28mm.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker Dork
10/28/09 11:15 a.m.
The true genius is that I know someone with a CNC setup... hmmm The bar is 28mm.

You don't need a CNC, you need a block of aluminum, a variable speed drill, a step drill up to the bar diameter (or just a hair over), vise, hack saw, 1/4-20 tap, cap screw and maybe a dremel if you want to pretty it up a little.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fzTm5vX1uiNZhiPJZOCCxn7OdbhyWN7DJMpQg3mlie5gdwpiw8EeMSQbyTB9cQ6I