1 2 3 ... 5
NickD
NickD UberDork
10/26/18 10:50 a.m.

Something big, apparently, at least in their words. They released a teaser for SEMA showing a Hellcat's pawprints getting smashed into the pavement with an elephant footprint.

The beauty of it being Mopar is that it could just about be anything, because after all, this is the company that gave us a street-legal, wheelie-pulling, 804hp drag machine as well as a 707hp AWD SUV. Nothing really seems off the table with them lately. Hellcat Durango? Demon-powered Grand Cherokee? 300C Hellcat? The Ram Rebel TRX Hellcat-powered Raptor fighter? There are also rumors of a new 7.0L naturally-aspirated Hemi in the works, codename "Banshee" (Boy, does ChryCo know how to pick them, or what?)

I'm sure whatever it is, it'll be loud, powerful, brutish and without a hint of subtlety.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
10/26/18 10:51 a.m.

This is how you get Mopar fanatics for life.

_
_ Reader
10/26/18 10:52 a.m.

“Introducing the all new Dodge Beast. It’s wild!”

Ram50Ron
Ram50Ron GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/26/18 10:54 a.m.

Return of the Elephant! 426 Gen3 Hemi

penultimeta
penultimeta HalfDork
10/26/18 10:55 a.m.

My guess is it'll be some kind of SUV or truck equivalent of the Demon. 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
10/26/18 10:55 a.m.

Y'all know im a mopar guy, right?

And im sad. My 425rwhp small block used to be top shelf stuff. The factory is making me look like a chump.

Wonder if i sell a kidney if i can get a crate hellcat?

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
10/26/18 11:07 a.m.

Mastadon would be a good truck name...... 

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/26/18 11:12 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

for the win!

Yep - RAM w/demon motor is my guess.

NickD
NickD UberDork
10/26/18 11:14 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

I'd buy a 2020 Ram SRT Mastodon with the 7.0L Banshee V8 just for the name alone.

tomtomgt356
tomtomgt356 GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/26/18 11:27 a.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

Offer them a kidney in trade. They might be crazy enough to accept it.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/26/18 11:32 a.m.
NickD said:

I'd buy a 2020 Ram SRT Mastodon with the 7.0L Banshee V8 just for the name alone.

That's approaching '80s Japanese car name territory.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/26/18 11:38 a.m.
Ram50Ron said:

Return of the Elephant! 426 Gen3 Hemi

This!

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
10/26/18 11:48 a.m.

Are they going to introduce a new car at some point?

NickD
NickD UberDork
10/26/18 12:06 p.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

What's funny is that the Challenger's basic bones are unchanged from when it was introduced, yet it has been outselling the 6th-gen Camaro and Mustang, despite the Mustang and Camaro being smaller, and lighter, and more modern and sophisticated

rslifkin
rslifkin UltraDork
10/26/18 12:12 p.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

Y'all know im a mopar guy, right?

And im sad. My 425rwhp small block used to be top shelf stuff. The factory is making me look like a chump.

Yeah, really.  This is making me feel really sad about the 350 - 370-ish hp my smallblock is making...  Something something I need to stroke it, put in a bigger cam, add some boost and build the trans...

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/26/18 12:14 p.m.
NickD said:

What's funny is that the Challenger's basic bones are unchanged from when it was introduced, yet it has been outselling the 6th-gen Camaro and Mustang, despite the Mustang and Camaro being smaller, and lighter, and more modern and sophisticated

That's because it looks killer!

I just can't bring myself to buy one because of how huge and heavy they are. If they could keep the same menacing looks, get some weight out of the car and shrink it down a bit it would be amazing. 

Oh and make sure you can put some tire on it as well. 275s on 4300lb car with 485hp is not even close to enough.

NickD
NickD UberDork
10/26/18 12:21 p.m.
z31maniac said:
NickD said:

I just can't bring myself to buy one because of how huge and heavy they are. If they could keep the same menacing looks, get some weight out of the car and shrink it down a bit it would be amazing. 

Oh and make sure you can put some tire on it as well. 275s on 4300lb car with 485hp is not even close to enough.

I think in a way though, the size (and its resultant weight) have helped sales, due to the fact that it's the easiest to live with. Better visibility, a backseat that isn't outlawed under the Geneva Convention and a trunk that is actually useful make it a car that a backup "normal" car isn't as required. 

Dodge does a good job of capitalizing on image and emotion, instead of chasing performance bogies. I sat in a Challenger, and even though it was a V6/auto car, something about it just made you feel like a badass. The Mustang and Camaro have never done that with me.

rslifkin
rslifkin UltraDork
10/26/18 12:26 p.m.

I don't have an issue with the size of it, but I'd love to see it get trimmed under the 4000 lb mark.  I'd have a really hard time with buying a performance car that's as heavy as the heaviest version of my Jeep was from the factory...

barefootskater
barefootskater HalfDork
10/26/18 12:29 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

It's also a damn fine name for a band.

Related image

And it should have ^ as a hood emblem. Just saying.

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
10/26/18 12:31 p.m.
NickD said:

Sometimes "better" isn't. 

Danny Shields
Danny Shields GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/26/18 12:49 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

Actually, these figures show Mustang still the clear leader in this segment, but Challenger pulling ahead of Camaro at times.

http://motrolix.com/automotive-sales-figures/automotive-sales-comparisons/sales-comparison-chevrolet-camaro-vs-ford-mustang-vs-dodge-challenger/

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/26/18 12:52 p.m.
NickD said:
z31maniac said:
NickD said:

I think in a way though, the size (and its resultant weight) have helped sales, due to the fact that it's the easiest to live with. Better visibility, a backseat that isn't outlawed under the Geneva Convention and a trunk that is actually useful make it a car that a backup "normal" car isn't as required. 

Dodge does a good job of capitalizing on image and emotion, instead of chasing performance bogies. I sat in a Challenger, and even though it was a V6/auto car, something about it just made you feel like a badass. The Mustang and Camaro have never done that with me.

Yeah, you make some very valid points. 

Although the when I drove the new Camaro SS 1LE last year, damn. It feels like in your the cockpit of a fighter jet and when you press the loud pedal.......yeah, I felt much more awesome than I really am. 

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/26/18 1:05 p.m.

Im a Mopar guy, and was a Hell cat hater till I drove one. There is something about silly power and no cares in the world. 

Cooter
Cooter Dork
10/26/18 1:32 p.m.

It's a Crate Hemi 

Hopefully a huge one. 

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
10/26/18 1:37 p.m.

The Challenger styling is holding up well (and they haven't screwed it up like they did the Charger) but it's large by fat.  I don't care about the age of the platform per se; I care about it being huge, heavy, with bad blindspots.  I could almost see owning a Mustang again but no way could I see owning a Challenger.  This is about my own point of view and I know some folks love these things.  

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MLaGAL91SvFyXzlIAf9Grnt5LqJfzd9KhMGroTA3Vqis5mcSz6eVHUDL3JkNJL45