TeamEvil
TeamEvil Reader
9/2/12 1:52 p.m.

I'm just about sorted with my MGA coupe project and sort of want to use up the extra parts on an MGA roadster. Probably for autocross in the end, but maybe streetable. Not sure.

The engine for this is currently in the 1984 Mustang parts car. I've "spoken" with an expert on how to "rewire" the stock distributor to use a GM HEI module and run off of a single 12 volt lead. eliminating the need for the Ford computer.

Right now, the engine runs really sweet, with the stock center fuel injection intact but figuring out the ECC-IV hook-up to the injector is beyond me, plus I've heard that the CFI is not the best one in the box.

Wondering if a basic (square or spread bore) might mount to the fuel injection intake manifold, or if there's an adapter that might work? The CFI seems to have a four bolt base, but wondering if I might be able to convert to a carb without buying a new manifold. Totally willing/able to fabricate a carb-to-manifold adapter plate myself, still . . . wondering if it'll all work together?

Any ideas?

Thanks,

T

Moving_Target
Moving_Target New Reader
9/3/12 9:04 a.m.

Yeah, I did something like that when I first swapped the 302 into my '86 Mustang. The donor was an '84 T-bird with CFI and I just pulled all the EFI junk off and bolted a Motorcraft 2bbl to the intake and switched to a Duraspark ignition setup. A lo-po way of doing it but it ran ok. I can't remember if I used the original timing cover or not.

jmthunderbirdturbo
jmthunderbirdturbo Reader
9/3/12 9:15 a.m.

we grabbed a 35k mile motor out of an 84 LTD and put it in an 81 bronco. we used a 4bbl adapter and a holley 350 4 with mechanical secondary. we swapped in the ignition system from an 81 f-150 5.8 (sorry don't know the nomenclature) and all was well. ran awesome, too, even with 35x12.50's and highway gears. (i miss that truck)

-J0N

TeamEvil
TeamEvil Reader
9/3/12 10:33 a.m.

Thanks guys ! !

I took a look at the manifold opening for the CFI after reading your posts, and it looks like a Holley two barrel or a two-to-four barrel adapter might bolt right in place. Maybe enlarge the holes in the adapter or carb base, but not much if at all for a nice fit.

Great to hear that the carb option worked OK with the CFI manifold and all, wasn't sure if the runner design would perform all that well, but it seems like it might from what you say.

Great news ! ! !

I'd kinda just like to get this engine (with the automatic trans even) installed in the MGA chassis and see where it all goes from there. Using extra parts on hand and things that I can trade for, just see where things end up, you know? Just getting to save some coin on a four barrel intake manifold is a nice beginning, they're getting kinda pricy, even for a used one.

Thanks !

T

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qFLnbRY0EaBY0zAqQwZXhPJLqrcwbi1mrTJZtB5SYGwnO0TVCBVV5YTUvqYPbRXj