JBasham
JBasham Reader
3/27/17 12:47 p.m.

This isn't working so well. The front end is a Ford T5 with a slip yoke, u-jointed to a stock Foxbody driveshaft. The back end is u-jointed to a conversion plate sold by Jags That Run. The conversion plate has a standard u-joint mount face on one side, and the bolt plate/pattern for an E36 differential input shaft on the other. I had to use a Spicer conversion U-joint to hook up the driveshaft and the adapter plate.

I have the driveshaft mounted with a downward slope, because that's what I thought I was supposed to do. I also have some working angle on both u-joints, and the angles are in opposite directions, because that's what I thought I was supposed to do.

I'm thinking the problem is I have a slightly wider angle on the rear end than I do on the front end. Is that it?

Can I fix it by shimming the subframe mounts that attach the differential to the rear suspension a bit, so the input end of the differential points downward a little more? Then the face of the differential input would be parallel to the face of the transmission output.

Or are there other problems to boot?

JBasham
JBasham Reader
3/27/17 12:48 p.m.

Hang on, I'm trying to get the pic linked.

Link to illustration

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
3/27/17 12:56 p.m.
JBasham wrote: Can I fix it by shimming the subframe mounts that attach the differential to the rear suspension a bit, so the input end of the differential points downward a little more? Then the face of the differential input would be parallel to the face of the transmission output.

I think so, based on your illustration anyway. In what way is it not working? Getting vibration?

Don49
Don49 HalfDork
3/27/17 1:01 p.m.

That looks like a lot of downslope on the driveshaft. Your are correct in opposite angles for the rear and trans, but depending on the length of the driveshaft, you are working the u joints pretty hard. I believe the trans and rear should be pointing more to each other, again with offset angles.

JBasham
JBasham Reader
3/27/17 3:10 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote:
JBasham wrote: Can I fix it by shimming the subframe mounts that attach the differential to the rear suspension a bit, so the input end of the differential points downward a little more? Then the face of the differential input would be parallel to the face of the transmission output.
I think so, based on your illustration anyway. In what way is it not working? Getting vibration?

Couple things. One is, until I get the rear wheels rotating a fair bit, like enough to be moving about 15-20 mph, it lurches along. The other is, as I'm cruising along smoothly at speed, hitting a pavement joint or something will give me one quick lurch.

On vibration, I'm getting a 20db increase in the noise floor when I move up into highway speeds. BUT I'm not sure whether that's driveline or tires.

JBasham
JBasham Reader
3/27/17 3:15 p.m.
Don49 wrote: That looks like a lot of downslope on the driveshaft. Your are correct in opposite angles for the rear and trans, but depending on the length of the driveshaft, you are working the u joints pretty hard. I believe the trans and rear should be pointing more to each other, again with offset angles.

Thanks, I guess I need to gather more information about how much angle they can take. If it's just a matter of wear rate, I don't mind changing them really often, because they don't cost much and it's easy to do now that I have the tool. But this is a track car and shaft speeds are super-high on the straights, and swinging back and forth anywhere from 30 to 90 over and over the rest of the time. Not much I could do to move the plane of the transmission and the plane of the diff closer together. The stock chassis has a 2-piece shaft and I may have to go that way.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
3/27/17 3:32 p.m.

In the second picture, "A" is wrong

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Idk3BVDVHq4

You also want to make sure that the driveshaft was assembled properly so that the joints are "phased."

Would not hurt to take the shaft in to a driveline shop for a clean bill of health since it is for the racecar; cheap insurance.

Just did this job a week ago on the Molvo. The lines extended from the gearbox and the differential need to parallel but on a different plane. If you watch the video, you will see that they run the drivetrain way past 3 degrees of angle.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
3/27/17 4:54 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME:

Coincidentally, I watched that youtube video this morning. Not for any reason other than youtube recommended it.

JBasham
JBasham Reader
3/28/17 11:29 a.m.

Thanks everybody, now I just need to find the time to get up in there and fix it.

JBasham
JBasham Reader
3/31/17 12:31 p.m.

P.S. this calculator is cool. Gives actual data showing how bad or good particular combinations are. Note, it's a two-pager.

the Original Dana torsion calculator

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nmyITfHXcR29gBVq2DAnyTBw6Kj5HTKJ0aqYqBGTEUnFFFgWhzd6pMhDwK8BtYeH