Javelin MegaDork
Oct. 8, 2012 10:51 a.m.

It's weight.

The Euro-spec sedan with a 2.5-liter gasoline engine, automatic transmission and i-ELOOP brake energy regeneration system weighs 2,992 pounds. That's a 337-pound weight loss over the current Mazda6 with the automatic.

Chew on that for a second. The heavier automatic-equipped one is under 3000 pounds. With A/C, power everything, a bazillion airbags, etc, etc...

Now imagine a manual-trans version, add some lighter wheels, take out the spare, etc...

That is a light mid-size sedan, by any standard.

GameboyRMH PowerDork
Oct. 8, 2012 10:55 a.m.

Regen braking means big batteries too. Very impressive. Can't wait to see what Mazda builds for a Toyobaru competitor.

Edit: Wait no it just uses a big capacitor:

Still, pretty good weight.

njansenv Dork
Oct. 8, 2012 10:58 a.m.

Awesome. I heard 3.9L/100km (60US mpg) on the diesel variant as well. Now hopefully they've finally fixed that whole rust thing. Mazda 3's rust at an embarrassing rate up here in the rust belt.

jstein77 Dork
Oct. 8, 2012 11:03 a.m.

I was impressed when the newest Altima came out 150 lbs lighter than the previous one. Looks like Mazda more than doubled that improvement - extremely impressive.

I am SO looking forward to the next Miata. It's also planned for the lightening treatment.

Javelin MegaDork
Oct. 8, 2012 11:33 a.m.

Wifey and I have been talking new car for her for awhile. The Grand Prix has been with us for almost 7 years and is over 130K miles now. It's actually still in great shape, but the lack of LATCH in the rear seat drives her nuts (and will get worse when mini-Jav switches seats and/or we make mini-Jav the 2nd) and the in-town mileage is poor. She comes from turbo cars though, so she won't drive anything slow.

I'm hoping for the 300TQ Sky-D CX-5 or the Mazda6 as the replacement next year, we'll see.

fidelity101 Reader
Oct. 8, 2012 4:24 p.m.
Javelin wrote: It's weight.
The Euro-spec sedan with a 2.5-liter gasoline engine, automatic transmission and i-ELOOP brake energy regeneration system weighs 2,992 pounds. That's a 337-pound weight loss over the current Mazda6 with the automatic.
Chew on that for a second. The heavier automatic-equipped one is under 3000 pounds. With A/C, power everything, a bazillion airbags, etc, etc... Now imagine a manual-trans version, add some lighter wheels, take out the spare, etc... That is a *light* mid-size sedan, by any standard.

That is a light car in gneral by modern standards, I think BMWs are required to start at 4000lbs (sarcasm)

Keith Tanner MegaDork
Oct. 8, 2012 4:33 p.m.

i-ELOOP. What a great, awkward acronym.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

You Need This: E39-Chassis BMW M5 for $6000?

12 hours ago in News

Buy one of our favorite Q-ships.

Grassroots Motorsports LIVE! on Wednesday, August 23: Building a Homemade Sim Rig

17 hours ago in News

We’re taking our sim-racing game to another level.

That's What i Like: What Attracts Us to Specific Cars?

18 hours ago in Articles

I just spent 10 days in one of my new favorite cars: the 2017 VW GTE.

Your Projects: Wide-Body, V8-Powered Porsche 944

1 day ago in News

Wing, flares, V8 swap and more!

You Need This: Eclipse!

1 day ago in News

Today's special.

Your Projects: Boosted and Flared E30 BMW

1 day ago in News

Another forum member put it best: “This build is absolutely mental. And I mean that in the best possible way.”

You Need This: 1990 Suzuki Carry 4WD Mini-Truck

1 day ago in News

It looks cool, matches our cargo shorts, and makes little sense.

Concours d’Lemons: Showcasing the Best of the Worst and the Worst of the Best

1 day ago in Articles

This year’s Concours d’Lemons celebrated two cars rarely associated with the glitz and glamor of Monterey.

You Need This: Gullwing Doors and Exotic Styling for Just $1500

1 day ago in News

Meet some brown ’70s awesomeness.

Acura Unveils New Prototype Race Car in Monterey

3 days ago in News

Acura yesterday unveiled the new Acura ARX-05 prototype race car.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
on8WcQEr1WXui1uHyI2Rz6bb5BZTxe45