nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/13/13 9:47 a.m.

I'm looking for motorcycle crate motors. Ideally in the 25-35HP range. Motors of similar performance to the Ninja 300 or Yamaha WR250. Does anyone know if a GM like crate program exists for any of the motorcycle companies? Any other options? I know Rotax does this kind of thing also but can't find to much information on it.

I've also seen the Lifan 250cc singles and Vtwins. These have appeal due to pricing but at only 17hp they aren't quite what I'm looking for although they may work. They also don't include Ignition or Fuel however a Megaquirt could solve that. I'd like a sprocket driven Integral transmission motor.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/13/13 9:51 a.m.

Don't know about crate motors, but you can find the Honda CX500 motor on Ebay anytime. 50hp, 50 ft/lb, compact package with motor and trans, shaft drive.

mw
mw Dork
9/13/13 10:31 a.m.

Why the crate motor? There are so many bikes that get dropped and the motors sold cheap. Does it really have to be brand new?

nocones
9/13/13 11:00 a.m.

The first one doesn't but eventually I would need a source of New engines

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
9/13/13 11:16 a.m.

In reply to nocones:

That is a very interesting reply, if I may say so....

can we expect a cool new build thread from you?

skierd
skierd Dork
9/13/13 11:27 a.m.

The closest I think you are going to find are the TaG style kart motors like the rotax, the few 125cc moto based shifter kart packages, and motors for legends cars that are based on an old yamaha. There were a few vtwin four stre kart motors too, pricey though.

nocones
9/13/13 11:47 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver:

To early to tell. I have some Ideas and may be build threading a prototype after I get some stuff worked out.

Thanks for all the feedback so far. I'm actually thinking the 16hp lifan might not be the worst. There is also a watercooled 250cc I've found for similar to Lifan money I would imagine it produces a bit more power than the lifan.

nocones
9/13/13 11:50 a.m.

In reply to skierd:

Yeah I'd like to have gears or at least variable gearing. A TAG motor with a CVT might work ok or I could look into developing a 2/3 speed simple gear box for ~30hp motors. I would like better performance/response at low speeds than a low HP ungeared motor provides. I've driven several Baja SAE cars with minimal HP but with the CVT they actually accelerate well. Probably nearly as well at <30mph as my KT100 kart does despite the HP deficit and weight disadvantage.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf SuperDork
9/13/13 8:00 p.m.

only crate bike motor i know of is the yamaha FJ used in legends cars but not in your price range

4g63t
4g63t HalfDork
9/14/13 9:45 a.m.

Harley Big Twins

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
9/14/13 10:51 a.m.

S&S

stroker
stroker Dork
9/14/13 5:41 p.m.
4g63t wrote: Harley Big Twins