1 2 3 ... 5
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/12/20 1:17 p.m.
feature_image

First, wash yo hands. And breathe. 

But before heading to any upcoming events, check with organizers as several cancellations and postponements have been announced in the past 24 hours.

Here’s what we know, and we’ll add as we know more. 

Grand Prix of St. Petersburg, scheduled for March 13-15, in St. Petersburg, Florida:
At a Thursday morning press conference, …

Read the rest of the story

David S. Wallens
3/12/20 1:28 p.m.

"Portions" of NHRA Gatornationals have been postponed

I put "portions" in quotes since that word was used in the release's headline. The reality? From said release: "Some Sportsman racing will be contested this weekend without ticketed spectators, but the majority of the event has been postponed to a later date."

David S. Wallens
3/12/20 1:36 p.m.

From the  SCCA’s official announcement:

"At this point in time, we do not foresee any disruptions to the SCCA National event schedule across March timeframe, and local SCCA Regions are actively monitoring and managing any risks associated with the spread of COVID–19 at a local event level as well."

**Scroll down or click here for an SCCA update as of March 13.**

David S. Wallens
3/12/20 1:58 p.m.

Just got a release stating that the Motorsports Hall of Fame of America inductions scheduled for March 16-17 in Daytona Beach, Florida, will be rescheduled.

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Dork
3/12/20 2:26 p.m.

Thanks for doing this, David.

David S. Wallens
3/12/20 3:05 p.m.

In reply to Jordan Rimpela :

Thank you. 

David S. Wallens
3/12/20 3:06 p.m.

As of a tweet around 3:40 p.m. today, Grand Prix of St. Pete will run as a non-spectator event. 

David S. Wallens
3/12/20 3:09 p.m.

The Brumos Collection closed until at least April 16.

David S. Wallens
3/12/20 3:19 p.m.

As per a release, SVRA has canceled their Vintage Race of Champions scheduled for Road Atlanta March 26-29:

"Sportscar Vintage Racing Association (SVRA) announced today that its popular Vintage Race of Champions (VROC) race during the March 26 – 29 SpeedTour Road Atlanta Grand Prix weekend is canceled. The decision is a precautionary move in the fight against the spread of the COVID-19 virus. The Friday night charity banquet for the Hope For The Warriors charity will also not take place. Currently, SVRA plans to run all other races for the SpeedTour weekend. The Trans Am Series Presented by Pirelli, SVRA vintage races, and IGT will take place but no fans will be admitted to the grounds. Those events will be live-streamed as previously planned to allow fans to see the action. SVRA will continue to monitor events as they develop in this unprecedented pandemic."

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/12/20 3:24 p.m.

At least with autox it's pretty easy to keep at least 6' between you & anyone else. You might want to wear gloves when chasing comes though. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/12/20 3:30 p.m.

As a native Floridian, my barometer on seriousness is always whether or not Disney is closed.  I haven't checked recently, though.

David S. Wallens
3/12/20 3:34 p.m.

Disney World is still open, but Asian parks are closed. 

David S. Wallens
3/12/20 3:40 p.m.

As per a release, RM Sotheby's upcoming sale at Palm Beach International Raceway will be online only:

"RM Auctions, a division of RM Sotheby’s Group, today announces that its forthcoming Palm Beach auction, scheduled 20–21 March at the Palm Beach International Raceway, will be canceled and transitioned into an Online Only auction via rmsothebys.com. The decision to shift this live auction to the company’s online platform comes in light of the current guidance from public health officials regarding the global COVID-19 outbreak."

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
3/12/20 4:03 p.m.

From Twitter: Disneyland will be closed through at least the end of the March amid California’s coronavirus state of emergency Disney World remains open for now. Disney, which employs tens of thousands in California alone, will continue to pay cast members.

06HHR
06HHR Dork
3/12/20 4:04 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Disney World is still open, but Asian parks are closed. 

Disney World is still open, but Disneyland is closed till the end of march.. Sorry for the double-post Margie!

slowbird
slowbird Dork
3/12/20 4:10 p.m.

Now I'm just hoping the pandemic doesn't go on long enough to start canceling events in October...

David S. Wallens
3/12/20 4:19 p.m.

Lotta concerts getting postponed/canceled, etc. More info here

David S. Wallens
3/12/20 4:23 p.m.

The SCCA released a general update March 12 at 5:00 p.m.

From the release: "…SCCA leadership also recognizes that COVID-19 concerns are not the same across all of the Club’s 115 regions. Therefore, SCCA leadership advises that those conducting SCCA events in the coming days and weeks closely follow policies set forth by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, as well as the direction or mandates of state, county and municipality officials. The most common local mandate that could affect SCCA events is a limitation on gathering size, although many of these may be specific to indoor activities."

**Scroll down or click here for an SCCA update as of March 13.**

David S. Wallens
3/12/20 4:45 p.m.

SEMA says that no changes (yet) regarding November's SEMA Show:

"Currently, no changes have been made in regard to the annual SEMA Show in November, and many exhibitors have confirmed their participation. As new developments come to light, the association is planning and preparing to make adjustments to ensure the health and welfare of the industry and members."

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
3/12/20 4:49 p.m.

Somehow I do not see the Indy 500 without fans in the stands !

And I can see the Long Beach Grand Prix  being delayed......

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
3/12/20 4:57 p.m.

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. – March 12, 2020 – Following the recommendation of county and state officials in Florida, executives with Barrett-Jackson today announced the company will postpone its 18th Annual Palm Beach Auction, scheduled for April 16-18, 2020, at the South Florida Fairgrounds. The decision was made due to the uncertainty of the current public health crisis and to safeguard auction customers, sponsors and guests from the potential spread of COVID-19.

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf Reader
3/12/20 5:01 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

The Gov of California has already said events with over 250 people should be canceled or postponed. Also, from when I lived in L.A. and worked the race weekends, there was a significant lead up time for the set up of that race. I imagine it is less now but it isn't like it is a permanent course either.

Dave M
Dave M HalfDork
3/12/20 5:04 p.m.

Thank you for doing this! I was looking forward to race season, especially since I don't have a track car this year.... Now I'm just hoping there will be a season!

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
3/12/20 5:19 p.m.
L5wolvesf said:
californiamilleghia said:

The Gov of California has already said events with over 250 people should be canceled or postponed. Also, from when I lived in L.A. and worked the race weekends, there was a significant lead up time for the set up of that race. I imagine it is less now but it isn't like it is a permanent course either.

its on the "streets" of Long Beach so they need to put up the barriers etc .....

But one of the problems is no one can say how long this will last ,  so you do not know if you order the 4th of July fireworks or not !

David S. Wallens
3/12/20 5:38 p.m.

Sounds like NASA Southeast is a go this weekend. 

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
j7tD1puVBJahkdHOAdZr3dOrX8v6WnX2gy4IyqB6SZWedDTKy0dxXm7ZcQP9Pxxj