1 2
JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
3/23/17 11:24 p.m.

Some of you may recall that I own a low-mileage, but somewhat raggity, '85 MR2. Well, the guy I bought it from, who is a co-worker of mine, had two other AW11 MR2s in his collection. His wife was after him to get rid of them because they just sit, so he was going to donate them to the Salvation Army. I got wind of this and ended up buying both for an amount equal to the tax credit he was going to get...So now I have three berkeleying AW11 MR2s (and there'll be ten cars at my house). Both are 1986 models. One runs and was driven regularly recently. The other doesn't run but I'm not sure why.

The bad news (part of it anyways) is that these two latest ones are both automatics...

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooo.

So the plan right now is to get the running one driveable again and sell it, then salvage the parts I want to keep from the other one, part the rest of it out, and scrap it. But I really need to wait until I have the cars at my house and can see what I'm really dealing with to make a decision (It remains to be seen what I've gotten myself into because I've only seen these cars at night, a couple years ago).

I'll post pics when I have them.

Anyone looking for MR2 parts?

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
3/24/17 12:52 a.m.

You found an automagic aw11??? Unicorn!

GTXVette
GTXVette HalfDork
3/24/17 3:43 a.m.

I Feel you man, but the Three Mr2's aren't really the prob. I bet

It's the 7 others.

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
3/24/17 4:42 a.m.

What is 2 more in the scheme of things

appliance_racer
appliance_racer Reader
3/24/17 6:35 a.m.

Maybe minimize the impact? "Look honey, its only a quarter more than the cars we already had. A quarter can't even buy a soda these days."

Try the puppy routine" "They just followed me home, can we keep em?"

Or play dumb? "They just showed up! I have no idea where they came from!"

Flynlow
Flynlow HalfDork
3/24/17 8:18 a.m.

I'm very interested in parts when you get the cars checked. Particularly a set of frunk plastics, a good 4age valve cover, possibly some brackets and underside bits, etc.

Let me know when you've got time to look at it all.

Which actually gives me an idea, your post implies you got these ridiculously cheap. If you start collecting money for parts, use the first $50-100 to take her to dinner and demonstrate 1. You're going to make money, and 2. The cars are leaving as soon as they're parted out. Maybe she won't mind as much then...

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
3/24/17 8:36 a.m.

so..the automatic ones. Can you shove a Lexus V8 into the backend?

TurboFocus
TurboFocus Reader
3/24/17 8:48 a.m.

id start by getting the couch ready

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/24/17 9:24 a.m.

As long as I don't park them in the front yard I seem to be ok...

DocV
DocV New Reader
3/24/17 9:25 a.m.

I love those stripes on the hood.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UberDork
3/24/17 9:40 a.m.

Deny Deny Deny. If you already had 8 MR2s, just pretend you've always had 10. If she pushes it, act deeply concerned about her mental well being because you've always had 10. Has she been having any headaches or anything? What year is it? Who's president right now? Check her eye dilation response.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
3/24/17 9:58 a.m.
ultraclyde wrote: Deny Deny Deny. If you already had 8 MR2s, just pretend you've always had 10. If she pushes it, act deeply concerned about her mental well being because you've always had 10. Has she been having any headaches or anything? What year is it? Who's president right now? Check her eye dilation response.

I already had 4 Mazda 626s, and she can tell the difference between those and an MR2.

NickD
NickD SuperDork
3/24/17 11:03 a.m.

Clearly, because they are both automatics, you need to yank the drivetrain out of the rear of one of them and mount it in the front of the other and make yourself an 8 cylinder, all wheel drive MR2. Clearly.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
3/24/17 11:18 a.m.

always interested in the heads... as long as they are complete... issue usually is shipping

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/24/17 11:20 a.m.
NickD wrote: Clearly, because they are both automatics, you need to yank the drivetrain out of the rear of one of them and mount it in the front of the other and make yourself an 8 cylinder, all wheel drive MR2. Clearly.

That sounds like it would be quick in the quarter mile, but you better make sure you have it lined up correctly...

NickD
NickD SuperDork
3/24/17 11:38 a.m.
Duke wrote:
NickD wrote: Clearly, because they are both automatics, you need to yank the drivetrain out of the rear of one of them and mount it in the front of the other and make yourself an 8 cylinder, all wheel drive MR2. Clearly.
That sounds like it would be quick in the quarter mile, but you better make sure you have it lined up correctly...

There was a LeMons team that ran an MR2 with an AE92 GT-S drivetrain in the front. Except that one had a 5-speed front drivetrain and an automatic rear drivetrain. This is it.

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
3/24/17 11:42 a.m.

Maybe she gets her own very special MR2?

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
3/24/17 12:02 p.m.
Jerry wrote: Maybe she gets her own very special MR2?

I limo version that holds four carseats?

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
3/24/17 12:03 p.m.

Dibs on the second set of frunk plastics! And the plastic trim strips that go between the headlights and bumper. And an exhaust manifold.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
3/24/17 12:10 p.m.

Once I sell the 240SX and my Dad's CR-V, I'll be back down to eight. Eight is no big deal. And if I clean out my shop, I could even put the two MR2s inside! Things in my shop don't exist within the sphere of the wife's contemplation.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
3/24/17 12:12 p.m.
Tom Suddard wrote: Dibs on the second set of frunk plastics! And the plastic trim strips that go between the headlights and bumper. And an exhaust manifold.

Make a list and keep in touch. Everyone wants headlight eyebrows...It remains to be seen if these are any good.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/24/17 12:17 p.m.
ultraclyde wrote: Has she been having any headaches or anything? What year is it? Who's president right now? Check her eye dilation response.

Careful, you really could drive someone insane like that. Two extra MR2s showing up is small potatoes...

OldGray320i
OldGray320i HalfDork
3/24/17 1:08 p.m.

"Well would you look at that? I found this beautiful (jewelry piece she likes - pawn shop nearby?) in the console... let's see how it looks on you!"

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
3/24/17 2:48 p.m.

My captain beat this into us:

Admit NOTHING, deny EVERYTHING and demand PROOF.

Words to live by.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
3/24/17 3:29 p.m.
JamesMcD wrote: Once I sell the 240SX and my Dad's CR-V, I'll be back down to eight. Eight is no big deal. And if I clean out my shop, I could even put the two MR2s inside! Things in my shop don't exist within the sphere of the wife's contemplation.

Now if only I had the money and you could be talked out of the 5 door.....

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2o2xXibuQ75szVMtZVRgYraNE4sUrinCxDkIf1W7JljNx6vmPhGrzsqtuwP4sMsN