1 2
z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/6/15 11:05 a.m.

I understand the complaints against it being loud, but why the "it's just HPDE, why make it lighter?"

My BRZ will only be an HPDE car, but I'm still going to give it more power, drop some weight, and it already has suspension/wheels on it.

The attitude of "why do that it's only an HPDE" well then go buy a PT Cruiser and leave it stock and take that to the track.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 SuperDork
8/6/15 11:30 a.m.
jstein77 wrote: I blame my current hearing loss on the days I forgot to put in my earplugs.

I'm only 29, and I've noticed that I lost some of my hearing. Most of it is from owning a dd Civic with a 3" exhaust that was race car loud (and obnoxious) and playing my music with a subwoofer over the exhaust drone. I only owned it for about 2 years. It doesn't take long, not to mention that hearing doesn't come back. Also, the muffler finally broke, and I put a custom 2" full exhaust with a cheap race muffler, and it sounded much better, much more quiet, and sounded truly unique, actually like a race car. Unfortunately, the second used engine blew up a month or so later. I wish that I had done the exhaust like that 9 months earlier (I wouldn't have been able to when I bought it).

Desmond
Desmond Reader
8/6/15 11:36 a.m.
z31maniac wrote: I understand the complaints against it being loud, but why the "it's just HPDE, why make it lighter?" My BRZ will only be an HPDE car, but I'm still going to give it more power, drop some weight, and it already has suspension/wheels on it. The attitude of "why do that it's only an HPDE" well then go buy a PT Cruiser and leave it stock and take that to the track.

You're missing the beef. Nobody is against him lightening the car. The general consensus is that its not worth losing a few pounds of weight only to be the most obnoxious guy at the track. Its like the guys that take out the crashbars in the doors for "weight reduction". Its just not worth it. Mod your car to your heart's content, but do it smart.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/6/15 12:16 p.m.
Desmond wrote: You're missing the beef. Nobody is against him lightening the car. The general consensus is that its not worth losing a few pounds of weight only to be the most obnoxious guy at the track. Its like the guys that take out the crashbars in the doors for "weight reduction". Its just not worth it. Mod your car to your heart's content, but do it smart.

The guys who take the crash bars out of their (non-caged cars') doors aren't harming anyone else In fact they're helping to save other track users' cars from damage by using their own squishy bodies as crumple zones

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
8/6/15 12:53 p.m.

To the op, get a dedicated set of 245/40-18's of whatever you can afford that's still a 200tw, look at a larger front sway bar, and a good alignment before you go and start hacking things off, if you want more sound just get a test pipe, you loose weight pick up noise but won't have bloody ears at the end of the day.

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/6/15 1:40 p.m.

Wow, safety and noise internet police anyone?

to the OPs original question, I would side with leaving it on, as I have had loud cars and learned the hard way.

However, we are all free to do what we want to our cars (and I think we all appreciate that).

But seriously, how is it any dumber to remove crash bars from your vehicle than it is to say, drive any vehicle on the roads? Drive above the posted speed limit? Ride a motorcycle? Geesh, you guys sometimes make it sound like you prefer sitting on the couch at home because it's quiet and safer. Think of the danger! Think of the children!

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/6/15 1:46 p.m.

The crash bar in the door is the only significant anti-intrusion feature in the side of a car that doesn't have a cage. The only real problem with taking them out is that a lot of people who do it don't understand the safety compromise they're making. I'm OK with people taking risks, but they should be informed risks. Heck my Samurai didn't come from the factory with any, but I drive it every day.

flatlander937
flatlander937 GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/6/15 1:50 p.m.

You might have some serious charges against you for raping everybody's ears within a 2mi radius.

Do you really want to be a raper?

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
8/6/15 2:07 p.m.

I love rotaries, but uncorked super loud ones just make my ear balls hurt. I'd leave the muffler on. It probably helps keep the exhaust flames from melting your bumper as well.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
8/6/15 2:16 p.m.

Leave it on. Loud exhausts only work on straight engines with 6+ cylinders, or V engines with 8+ cylinders.

Matt Huffman
Matt Huffman New Reader
5/23/18 1:27 p.m.

My RX8 sounds amazing with stock exhaust manifold, racing beat dual resonated midpipe, and HKS hi-power exhaust.  saved some weight, just the right volume.  no one would ever complain about my car being too loud.

https://youtu.be/9vqkHA4HHQc

JBasham
JBasham HalfDork
5/23/18 1:37 p.m.

I have no views whether it's a good idea or not.  And I've never even heard a straight-pipe rotary, as far as I can remember.

If you want sound reduction, will a muffler fit where the cats go now?  Do RX7's even have cats?

I just did this with an E36 and a Borla XPro muffler.  It didn't weigh much, and it put the weight pretty close to the polar center.  With 2.5" dual pipes and a V8, it's still calling attention to itself, no doubt.  But I'm under my track noise limit.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/23/18 1:44 p.m.
JBasham said:

I have no views whether it's a good idea or not.  And I've never even heard a straight-pipe rotary, as far as I can remember.

Trust me, you would remember that...

TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project Reader
5/23/18 2:52 p.m.

Go old school and put some megaphones on it, so it's even louder than too loud.

Rotary minus mufflers means you hate yourself, your friends, your neighbors, and anyone else within a half mile radius. Don't.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Reader
5/23/18 2:53 p.m.

Honestly on most types of engines just getting rid of a muffler won’t necessarily make any more power or improve performance and can also potentially hurt performance. Many racing cars with headers run mufflers due to dB requirements etc and a lot of times some of them can lose power and performance taking the muffler off. It really all depends on how it’s setup. But to really see any improvement taking mufflers off you would probably need to be running headers.

ill add to the loudness and pain on the ears for everyone else when I was at the American lemans series race at mosport in 2001 easily the loudest and most painful on the ears were the normally aspirated porsche 911 gt3r.

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
5/23/18 3:08 p.m.

Has nobody here noticed that this is a revival of an almost 3 year old thread?

NickD
NickD UberDork
5/23/18 3:13 p.m.
rslifkin said:

I did

TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project Reader
5/23/18 3:15 p.m.
rslifkin said:

Nope lol

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Reader
5/23/18 5:27 p.m.

Clearly not lol but you never know there might be other crazed rotary owners thinking of doing this and destroying everyone’s ears lol.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/23/18 6:14 p.m.
Desmond said:

Straight pipe rotaries just sound like big old obnoxious airplanes. It really wears on everybody around you.

You and I can't be friends. cheeky

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/23/18 6:16 p.m.

As far as unmuffled rotaries?

Type Q
Type Q SuperDork
5/23/18 6:44 p.m.
thewatcher101 said:   Noise will be loud, an uncork rotary is on it's own level, kinda of like an open header V8 without the low end. I will also lose hearing.

Fixed that for you. smiley

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
5/23/18 7:56 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

If you show up anywhere near me with an uncorked rotary, I'll be sure to leave my pickaxe through your hood. Its bad enough sitting in grid beside you rotary knobs WITH mufflers.

I just came back to quote myself from three years ago.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3YFyrmw7A2yyLFkMSGZ1qGXCI2EFZw60ViKPbBG0b8i4jviu1k2wQtmU300QIAHu