CoryB
CoryB Reader
12/29/08 8:24 a.m.

So I've got the '89 GT running pretty well now. The clutch pedal quadrant was bad so I replaced it with the kit from Summit Racing that included an aluminum quadrant, firewall adjuster and new adjustable cable.

Using the Summit cable, the clutch was almost unworkable - the pedal pressure was tremendous. So I switched back to the (used) stock Ford clutch cable. Here's where things get interesting.

From much internet reading (and we all know that if it's on the internet it MUST be correct ) the Ford cable is better made than any other. I can say that the pedal pressure is much lower now than with the aftermarket cable.

The problem is that there's NO adjustment to it at all. The firewall adjuster is screwed all the way in but there's absolutely no slack in there. The clutch releases at about 1.5" from the top of the pedal travel (pedal out) and it feels like the clutch is slipping. This quadrant has two hooks and the cable is in the first hook which is supposed to make it looser.

Anybody used the Summit kit before? It came recommended to me by a friend who's used them but I haven't seen him since I installed it to ask anything about it.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/29/08 9:53 a.m.

Get a UPR cable and adjuster kit. It includes a Ford cable and two adjusters for less than $150.00

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pBmQD9JWsj6kzzSABZG3FxVlfBRyi3uegvScRZklkp71l2zrieKUKtkRlySOPd6D