1 2
Geekspeed
Geekspeed New Reader
3/26/11 7:47 p.m.

Ok, so someone posted on here about a Cobra II, and that got me back to thinking about using a Mustang II as a track rat. I can find them pretty easily out where I live, so getting my hands on a cheap, rust-free example is not hard. What do you guys think?

I believe there is a blue one featured in a hot-rodding mag somewhere. The guy who owns it was able to get almost 1g out of it with a mildly modified suspension. I am thinking that the suspension is actually a better platform than a Fox car? Correct me if I am wrong....

So what do you all think? Would a II make a good track rat? I think it would be pretty simple to swap in a 2.3 turbo or a 5.0 and go at it. Thoughts, opinions?

GS

gamby
gamby SuperDork
3/26/11 8:02 p.m.

I'm not an expert on them, but since hotrodders like the Mustang II front end so much, there has to be some worth to it.

Engine choices are limitless--the big question is what you can do to the rear suspension.

I think it would be pretty sick to see a II track rat. Even more GRM if you did it to a car with the vinyl Landau top.

tuna55
tuna55 Dork
3/26/11 8:06 p.m.

Love the looks. If it's cheap, instead of asking, buy one and then tell us about it!

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
3/26/11 8:10 p.m.

Something like this seems to gather much track respect. Doesn't it share much of the chassis with the Mustang II?
I like the idea.

stroker
stroker HalfDork
3/26/11 8:35 p.m.

As long as it doesn't have the enormous "Cobra" billboard on the side it would be cool.

Bench Racer (BowtieBandit)
Bench Racer (BowtieBandit) Reader
3/26/11 8:42 p.m.

I've always liked the Mustang II, it's the bastard-stepchild of the mustang community. I'm suprised you can find more than three to be honest, considering so many of them were hacked up, sacrificing their front ends during the street rod craze.

Since you're here on GRM, you like the different stuff anyway, and a thread like this is always gonna wind up with a bunch of "go for it!" because all we are is a bunch of enablers. Buy first, ask questions later.

I will add that this is the best place in the world to bench race, or in my case, bench build.

mmosbey
mmosbey GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/26/11 8:44 p.m.

Is this the blue one you were thinking of? FWIW, this car had me thinking about a Mustang II as well.

ST_ZX2
ST_ZX2 Reader
3/26/11 8:44 p.m.

Rick Ruth had a CP SOLO2 "miniboss" Mustang II hatchback for years...wonsomehadware at Nationals with it too. I'm sure there are pictures floating around somewhere.

mmosbey
mmosbey GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/26/11 8:49 p.m.
Bench Racer (BowtieBandit)
Bench Racer (BowtieBandit) Reader
3/26/11 8:54 p.m.

In reply to mmosbey:

punch

All original, right down to the lift kit and DUBZ G!

Geekspeed
Geekspeed New Reader
3/26/11 9:19 p.m.

See, this is why I love this message board. If I said the same thing on just about any other forum, I would have been laughed off the internet.

Anyway, what to do about the suspension indeed. I am wondering what is bolt-on and what is not. I believe the rear axle is pretty short, so you can't just stick an 8.8 out of a Fox car. The brakes are another issue, as I am, again, not sure if there are any junkyard bolt-ons.

Oh, and it would have to be painted to look kind of like a T/A Boss 302. That would piss off the first gen Mustang purists.

Geekspeed
Geekspeed New Reader
3/26/11 9:23 p.m.

That would be the one, mmosbey!

And yes, GRM is a bunch of freaking enablers. It's a good thing my wife has control of the finances or I would be bringing home a different project car every other week.

GS

pstrbrc
pstrbrc New Reader
3/26/11 9:56 p.m.
Geekspeed wrote: I believe the rear axle is pretty short, so you can't just stick an 8.8 out of a Fox car. The brakes are another issue, as I am, again, not sure if there are any junkyard bolt-ons.

The rear is an 8" w/ removable center section, as apposed to the 7.5" that came on the first 6 years or so of V-8 Fox 'Stangs, which has an integral carrier. But within an inch of each other IIRC. 57" vs 58", or thereabouts. Best part about the 8" is that you could have a couple of different ratios loaded in spare pumpkins, for a quick gear change if what's in the car isn't right for a track. Would be great for ChumpCar racing. But it's leaf sprung. A simple 3-link plus trackbar would go in pretty quickly. If it were me, a 302/C4 sounds like a fun combo. And the front suspension has lots of brake options, since the Mustang II suspension has appeared on lots of stuff, like Cobra clones.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
3/26/11 10:02 p.m.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1974-FORD-MUSTANG-II-/250793516981?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3a64755fb5

snicker

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
3/26/11 10:31 p.m.

The same e-bay link was posted twice in this thread. I think this should be added to the GRM drinking game...

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
3/26/11 10:41 p.m.
ST_ZX2 wrote: Rick Ruth had a CP SOLO2 "miniboss" Mustang II hatchback for years...wonsomehadware at Nationals with it too. I'm sure there are pictures floating around somewhere.

I remeber that car, too. Is this it?

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
3/26/11 10:42 p.m.

Hokey....hic.....dokey

Geekspeed
Geekspeed New Reader
3/26/11 11:06 p.m.

Ok, that ebay find is just wrong...

Geekspeed
Geekspeed New Reader
3/26/11 11:10 p.m.

I am thinking a turbo coupe swap might be in order. Isn't the T5 somewhat difficult to get into a II?

gamby
gamby SuperDork
3/26/11 11:39 p.m.
mmosbey wrote: I apologize in advance.

I think the worst part is that the seller doesn't know the difference between "wheels" and "tires". Scary...

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
3/26/11 11:45 p.m.
gamby wrote: I'm not an expert on them, but since hotrodders like the Mustang II front end so much, there has to be some worth to it.

The Mustang II front end is the same as the Pinto front end. They like it cause the uprights are small.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
3/26/11 11:46 p.m.
Geekspeed wrote: I am thinking a turbo coupe swap might be in order. Isn't the T5 somewhat difficult to get into a II?

Don't know about the T5 (I'm not a Ford guy) thing, but about the motor, I thought the Stang 2 was actually designed so that the base models could be powered by the "new" 2.3 OHC. Seems that the turbo versions of that engine would mount right up without much of a fight, unless the in & out manifolds are bigger than I thought they are..

Gotta admit my only experience with the 2.3 in the Mustang 2 was rebuilding the carb on one that a high school buddy of mine owned..

pres589
pres589 Dork
3/27/11 1:21 a.m.

I'm not sure why you'd go with this over a Pinto or a Capri. The Pinto is the basis for the M2, only it's lighter and probably has better aero characteristics, plus you don't have owners pretending it's worth a lot.

The Capri is an all around better package, I think, from an engineering standpoint. It is let down by much less aftermarket support, basicaly no factory support at this point, and they like to dissolve.

killerkane
killerkane Reader
3/27/11 1:30 a.m.

http://siouxfalls.craigslist.org/cto/2246069901.html

Definately cheap.

Geekspeed
Geekspeed New Reader
3/27/11 1:40 a.m.

I think I would do an MII over a Pinto simply because I like them better. I really am not keen on Pinto or Capri styling. Besides, I actually see MIIs on CL much more often than either of the other cars mentioned.

I know, not logical, but who said being a car nut was logical?

Oh, racingc215, thanks for the info! How easy is the SHO swap??? That would be AWESOME.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IjbJl3u8HH2sop9QYrjdJfzuju6OfCDo3QfZ4we3Xd09eJNKioCGSxrP2FAnWGge