1 2
Jay
Jay SuperDork
3/27/11 5:36 a.m.

I've always liked Mustang IIs and I tend to see them as a proto-Foxbody, which also weren't all that big and were pretty wheezy in the early years. I don't get how Mustang fans can accept the Foxbody and deride the II. That said, some editions of the II were legitimately pretty ghastly...

^^ Hideous abomination of a car

^^ Totally freaking hot

^^ Also hot. Louvers FTW.

How did Ford manage to do that? It's the same car!

ampire
ampire New Reader
3/27/11 9:46 a.m.

Ugh just get a fox body.

mmosbey
mmosbey New Reader
3/27/11 10:09 a.m.

I was reading about a SHO V6 or V8 swap last night, as well as a Zetec swap. Didn't spend much time on it, but the SHO V6 swaps all seemed to mention Explorer/Aerostar/Ranger transmissions as having the right bell housing pattern.

stan
stan SuperDork
3/27/11 10:13 a.m.

GS, I posted on the Cobra II thread, then saw this one. Keep us informed on your search and, hopefully updates on your MII track rat.

Stan

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
3/27/11 10:22 a.m.

Get the Mini Mustang. Mavericks are awesome. I really want to take one stage rallying...or at least to Targa Newf.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
3/27/11 1:58 p.m.

Weren't the MIIs the original flexible flyer with a chassis that seemed to flex at the sight of a pebble in the road?

jimbbski
jimbbski Reader
3/27/11 9:28 p.m.

Back in '74 I was looking for a new car. I looked at the Mustang II and the Capri. I bought a Capri. Both came with a 2.8L V6. The Capri was 400 lbs lighter with the same options. No PS, no AC, manual trans. The Capri's styling is a bit older having been designed back in 1969 to the then new 1974 Mustang II design but then you can look at the 1976-1977 Capri II for a newer look. In fact the Capri II still looks good today. Installing Euro bumpers cleans up the car and loses 140 lbs of dead weight. After market parts for the Capri are as close as the back of Grassroots Motorsports.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
3/27/11 9:51 p.m.

Aw, guys..let him do his M2. It'd be cool to see something different out there.

nervousdog
nervousdog HalfDork
3/27/11 10:04 p.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote:
ST_ZX2 wrote: Rick Ruth had a CP SOLO2 "miniboss" Mustang II hatchback for years...wonsomehadware at Nationals with it too. I'm sure there are pictures floating around somewhere.

I remeber that car, too. Is this it?

I see you found my blog Yes, that is RR's car. He runs with us in Chicago on occasion.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
3/27/11 10:15 p.m.
nervousdog wrote:
friedgreencorrado wrote:
ST_ZX2 wrote: Rick Ruth had a CP SOLO2 "miniboss" Mustang II hatchback for years...wonsomehadware at Nationals with it too. I'm sure there are pictures floating around somewhere.

I remeber that car, too. Is this it?

I see you found my blog Yes, that is RR's car. He runs with us in Chicago on occasion.

ROFL, nervousdog..hope my hotlink didn't cost ya any money! I just had a vague recollection of Rich's car, and that was the first pic that looked familiar.

Gotta admit, from the class designation, it looks like Rich's lady was about to take the car out when that pic was taken..

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
3/27/11 10:33 p.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote: Aw, guys..let him do his M2. It'd be cool to see something different out there.

You just want someone else to be spending money so you can see the heartache and the results.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
3/28/11 12:05 a.m.
carguy123 wrote:
friedgreencorrado wrote: Aw, guys..let him do his M2. It'd be cool to see something different out there.

You just want someone else to be spending money so you can see the heartache and the results.

Oh, I've already seen the results from running an "orphan". The Smith family & Mr. Saney have been kicking my ass here in Atlanta for quite some time..

http://www.soloatlanta.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/2009p1_fin.htm#ST

stroker
stroker HalfDork
3/29/11 9:22 p.m.

I wonder whatever happened to Charlie Kemp's IMSA Mustang II...

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
3/29/11 10:06 p.m.

Stroker, I went googling for 20min, and only found pix, reprints of articles back when he was running it, and pix of model cars. It's like that thing vanished from the face of the earth.

CRXracer
CRXracer None
12/15/12 11:19 p.m.
stroker wrote: I wonder whatever happened to Charlie Kemp's IMSA Mustang II...

Reviving an old thread to answer your question. I had dinner with Charlie this evening at our SCCA region's Christmas party. The car has been in storage a long time, but he is now in the process of restoring it and will be showing it at Amelia Island this coming March. I think it will be part of the group of cars Sam Posey drove. Sam helped him do some of the initial sorting out on it.

Charlie is a fascinating guy with lots of great stories of IMSA and Can Am racing with Mark Donohue, George Follmer and other greats.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
12/16/12 12:02 a.m.

I have dirty plans in my head for one of these on the cheap.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
12/16/12 12:12 a.m.
CRXracer wrote:
stroker wrote: I wonder whatever happened to Charlie Kemp's IMSA Mustang II...

Reviving an old thread to answer your question. I had dinner with Charlie this evening at our SCCA region's Christmas party. The car has been in storage a long time, but he is now in the process of restoring it and will be showing it at Amelia Island this coming March. I think it will be part of the group of cars Sam Posey drove. Sam helped him do some of the initial sorting out on it.

Charlie is a fascinating guy with lots of great stories of IMSA and Can Am racing with Mark Donohue, George Follmer and other greats.

Thanks for the update! And regards to Charlie for wanting this done for Sam. Speaking of which, how is Charlie's health these days? Man, it seems like we're losing so many of the great ones these days.

CRXracer
CRXracer New Reader
12/16/12 12:41 a.m.

He seems to be doing well. I think he's had some heart trouble the past few years, but he looked really good tonight. He still travels a good bit and stays active.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
12/16/12 8:29 a.m.

Re-reading this thread.. I am amazed at the amount of hate and disdain towards the MustangII.. Did not expect that here

noddaz
noddaz HalfDork
12/16/12 9:56 a.m.

I always thought that the MII had decent lines. (Esp compared to other cars from that era...) If Ford hadn't put those hideous bumpers on it the car may have been worthy... And one has to ask with Ford history with Cosworth why didn't Ford have a twin cam version of the 2300? Oops.. That should be a different thread...

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
12/16/12 11:16 a.m.

Always wanted to build a MII convertible like this (and see if you can spot how many other changes there are):

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero Dork
12/16/12 11:22 a.m.

All the M2 coupes I find are rust buckets, too expensive for what they are, come with no title or all mentioned

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
q3KBjIintAvNQUDJGnJld9zbQLC2YnDLvIfbqhV8glv55D3he2hYUlS0LWvxLuGQ